• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bike advice

It's interesting you say that. I felt that way about the KLR compared to my AT and NC700X.

With Shinko 805's on all, I feel more comfortable going down gravel roads on the other two than the KLR. Same feeling. Just a weird vibe that it might go nuts any any time. At first I thought it was just newbie jitters, but then remembered I actually saw it happen following two KLR's through the dirt in the Hill Country back in May. They were all over the place while the AT stayed planted. I'll try to find the video.

I was hoping the Strom would be more planted than the KLR as I was going to suggest it to a friend as a first bike.

:tab Suspension plays a BIG part in this. If the suspension is not properly setup for your weight, it can make the bike feel very nervous. My KLR changed dramatically when I removed the stock springs and replaced them with better springs. I also changed the fork oil and made sure the sag was set correctly front and rear. Prior to that, it felt twitchy and nervous. Making sure the steering head bearing is properly torqued also makes a difference. You cannot assume that just because a bike is new that all these things are how they should be. In fact, it is more likely that they are not than they are. I was more comfortable riding my big heavy R1150 GS through deep sand than the KLR. After I made the changes, it was like a different bike.

:tab Suspension that might be perfect for one rider may be horrible for another rider. This is why you should get test rides on bikes whose owners are close to your size and who hopefully have their suspension setup properly. For some folks, the right out of the box settings on their bikes might be perfect. These are usually lighter people, like less than 180 lbs all up. For more typical riders, the suspension will be under sprung, under damped, and the preload will be to low. Ideally, when you are sitting on your bike with your feet on the pegs and not moving, the front and rear suspension should be compressed by 1/3 of its total stroke from fully unloaded (wheel off the ground) to max compression. IF the springs are too soft, as is the case with the stock suspension on many bikes (especially the KLR), then you will have a hard time getting it right.

:tab I cannot stress enough how much proper suspension matters!!

:tab With my strom, I redid the front forks with new springs and oil, and proper preload spacer length. That helped a lot. But even after that, the bike still did not feel right to me. This does not mean it would not feel perfect for another rider though. I just did not want to sink more money into the strom at the time because I was REALLY missing my R1150 GS and so instead I started shopping for a newer 1200 GS to replace the strom :mrgreen:

:tab Even on a "high end" bike like a BMW GS, getting the suspension right makes a BIG difference. My current bike has Ohlins front and rear. It is a night and day difference between the Ohlins and stock suspension. My GS is in no way good for rock crawling, but it is fantastic for dirt, gravel, and even sandy roads despite not having the 21" front tire.

:tab Before you sell your KLR, you might want to spend 20-30 minutes setting the sag on the bike. You might need another person to help. It is very easy. There are tons of videos and websites that explain it. You might be amazed at the difference. I used to do big group rides through East Texas. Prior to leaving, we would often help people make sure their chains were tightened properly, their tires were inflated properly, and their suspension was set up properly. Quite often at gas stops, lunch, and at the end of the day I would get numerous comments from the riders about how much better their bikes felt and handled. And that was just for street riding.

:tab Of course, if the clutch thing is what is really making you want to off load the KLR... never mind :-P

The clutch deal is the main reason, but the way it feels off road isn't far behind. I just don't want to sink any more money into that bike. I know its not going to end up where I'd be content with it.

I'm mostly shocked at how much more I like the NC700X both on and off road after putting the Shinko 804/805's on it. It's really like a different bike and I know it doesn't have an off road suspension on it. If I hit a decent pothole on it, I feel it in my jaw.

I do probably need to spend time getting the AT suspension right, but it feels normal to me now so I never really consider it. Rich let me sit on his AT in Arkansas (which has aftermarket suspension) and it felt considerably different even at rest than my AT. Oddly, it felt a lot like my KLR does just sitting there.

I really want a newer, smaller dual sport that is fuel injected. I have been kicking tires on the Kawaski KLX 250, the Suzuki DR200, the Yamaha XT250, the Yamaha XT250. I have not looked at the KTMs since I do not have a dealer in the area, and I am not sure that I am that aggressive of a rider.

All the bikes you've listed are solid platforms. not a sloth in the bunch. I do think the Yamaha has a superior suspension, though.

As far as KTM goes, yes they are built for aggressive riding. but you have control of your right hand. Just because the throttle will twist, doesn't mean you have to.

Finally, it's the internet and is full of idiots, snowflakes and chest-thumpers. Be cautious on taking my advice or any one else's. We each see the world through a different set of eyes.

Watch the upcoming rides and gatherings thread. Come on out and get to know folks. Draw your own conclusions. :chug:

Watch the upcoming rides and gatherings thread. Come on out and get to know folks. Draw your own conclusions. :chug:

:tab Totally this! :thumb:

:tab I cannot tell you how many times I have heard a rider say, "I'm going to ride in the slow group because I don't ride like I used to." Then, once you watch them ride, they are crazy fast, which might be slow compared to how they used to ride, but which is still WAY faster than I'd ever ride :-P Knowing how someone rides goes a LONG way toward helping you gauge their comments about bikes and performance.

Sorry you got hammered with this. That's a bad one.

As I'm sure you're aware now, the rocker arm issue has been a well known issue with those bikes of those years. Many folks preemptively did the upgrade.

I'm definitely a 690 homer. I LOVE that bike for it's ability to do multiple things, all pretty well. I've done trips of 1200 miles on it 'relatively' comfortably and loaded with gear, but also have done single track with it, but with more energy exerted than my riding buddies on 350's. But still, It can do both pretty d*rn well.

Thanks Bart. I have yet to make a long trip with the 690, so the jury is still out...

Back