• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

V-Strom 650 vs 1000

I sold my 2013 650. While it always did what I asked it to, I found it to be super boring. I never got the mileage that is claimed above, and usually got in the mid 40's. Admittedly I rode it like a sport bike, and it just wasn't up to the task. I also couldn't believe how loud the wind noise was on that bike, even after trying 3 windshield and other wings and doo-dads I found it super annoying.

I found the front end to not offer much feedback, and overall the suspension to be lacking. Went to a Bandit 1250, with both ends of suspension being sorted, and Holeshot goodies for the engine. Much better fit for my riding style.

I felt the same way about the 650. :yawn:

Having ridden both I don't feel like I'm really giving up much to the 1000 owning the 650 and gaining lighter weight and better mileage.

Having ridden both I don't feel like I'm really giving up much to the 1000 owning the 650 and gaining lighter weight and better mileage.
I do think the 650s are better off the pavement ..with their lighter front end
Just compare the front tire psi at 33 for the 650....& 36 on the 1K
Most components are similar weight between the two bikes....wheels brakes forks frames...& the bodywork (not incl the 14+ 1000s) so the engine weight is key

1000s have the higher quality suspension though

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've never ridden the 1000, but had an '05 Wee for three years. Now, several bikes later, it is still the one I miss most. The pros and cons have been well covered by the other comments but I would say that I never felt the need for more power. I lived in Mt. Shasta, Ca. at the time and often rode mountain roads two up. The bike handled so well that on long trips there were times when I had to remind myself the the better half was behind me. I can't ever recall having to downshift on the highway. In three years of riding, chains, sprocket, and tires were the only things I needed to replace. Good luck with your choice and ride safe.

:tab I don't know why the manufacturers do it, but the speedo on every bike I have ever owned or ridden, old and new, have been off anywhere from 5-10% based on comparing to the GPS :shrug:

:tab +1 on the comment about panniers killing gas mileage. I have used side panniers on 2 VFR 800's, a BMW R1150 GS, 2 BMW R1200 GS's, a KLR 650, a Suzuki SV650S, and my Vstrom 650. All of those bikes got really good gas mileage until I put the side panniers on them. It could make a difference of 5-10mpg depending on which bike it was and how fast I was trying to ride it. Adding a passenger and panniers made it even worse. The tail bags did not affect mileage as bad, maybe 1-2mpg at most.

:tab The Stroms have been popular adventure bikes. I never really enjoyed taking my 650 down a dirt/gravel road. I could just never develop a feel for or trust of the front end off the pavement. Changing the suspension did not help. To be fair though, I never did mount a set of TKC 80s to the bike and I know from experience with my BMWs that doing so can make a BIG difference. I typically ran something like the Tourances or Anakees on the Strom.

:tab I don't know why the manufacturers do it, but the speedo on every bike I have ever owned or ridden, old and new, have been off anywhere from 5-10% based on comparing to the GPS :shrug:

:tab +1 on the comment about panniers killing gas mileage. I have used side panniers on 2 VFR 800's, a BMW R1150 GS, 2 BMW R1200 GS's, a KLR 650, a Suzuki SV650S, and my Vstrom 650. All of those bikes got really good gas mileage until I put the side panniers on them. It could make a difference of 5-10mpg depending on which bike it was and how fast I was trying to ride it. Adding a passenger and panniers made it even worse. The tail bags did not affect mileage as bad, maybe 1-2mpg at most.

:tab The Stroms have been popular adventure bikes. I never really enjoyed taking my 650 down a dirt/gravel road. I could just never develop a feel for or trust of the front end off the pavement. Changing the suspension did not help. To be fair though, I never did mount a set of TKC 80s to the bike and I know from experience with my BMWs that doing so can make a BIG difference. I typically ran something like the Tourances or Anakees on the Strom.
My last Shadow 1100 was around 10ish mph off at highway speeds. I was following my wife one day, and she kept getting further and further away. I downloaded a speedometer app on my phone, and realized how far off it was. I don't understand it, either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

My last Shadow 1100 was around 10ish mph off at highway speeds. I was following my wife one day, and she kept getting further and further away. I downloaded a speedometer app on my phone, and realized how far off it was. I don't understand it, either.

Mabe its the exchange rate ??!
In Japan they have a yen to go fast
But the cities are so crowded

Mabe its the exchange rate ??!
In Japan they have a yen to go fast
But the cities are so crowded

Could be

Not usually a big deal once the amount it's off is determined, but still annoying nonetheless.

Ditto. Every bike I've had has had an inaccurate speedometer; the VStrom's problems are mild compared to some I've ridden. As for panniers, they cost me about 2 - 2.5 mpg on highway riding between 70-75mph.

I'm not a big fan of the look of big panniers, anyway. I've seen some surplus 20mm "plastic" ammo cans that are pretty narrow, that would probably suit my needs. I'd use a soft bag on the back 90% of the time.

I'm not a big fan of the look of big panniers, anyway. I've seen some surplus 20mm "plastic" ammo cans that are pretty narrow, that would probably suit my needs. I'd use a soft bag on the back 90% of the time.

Sams has had some Pelican knock offs at a low price recently too

My 1st VStrom didn't have panniers. I bought a set of Cortech saddlebags. Not nearly as roomy as the panniers, but still you'd be amazed how much you could stuff into those things. You could stuff 2 gallons of milk into each side, an example of something being bigger inside than outside.

Love it
533a0fdea4ce364aa66a737c21eb6a98.jpg

She's purdy; congratulations. Now, that's not either of the bikes you pictured a few days ago. Give us that particulars on this one.

Congrats! I see it has the madstatt wshield brkt. I have that with Givi 22.5 tall by 20.5 windshield, plus little stock mirror set back brackets (SW-Motech?) so the shield does not hit on full lock. At sub-interstate speeds I can ride with full face shield open all day.

On the interstate there is more noise (ear plugs) and if windy you will definetly feel it/hear it from the windward side.

You can get a wider windshield if on interstate a lot.

I have tried different seats and really like my "Terry's Custom Seats" (Manchester TN; 931-841-2620) seat. Looks like a Russel and eliminates the slid forward into tank situation. This seat sits LOW so I rarely raise wind shield up, just tilt to taste (I'm 6'2").

Mitch did me a solid on this one. What a great dude!

2009 650

From what I can remember at the moment:

MadStad windscreen bracket, don't remember windscreen brand.
Crash bars, fork brace, Givi Flow with Suzuki side cases. Gel seat with mesh type cover. I'm sure I'm missing something.

2nd day riding it around town, and I love this thing. Very comfortable for me so far. Managed to do a grocery shopping trip with it, surprised at how much I could fit in the cases.

On call this weekend for work, so I can't leave the county, but I hope to make a run up to the cabin on Lake Palo Pinto on it soon. FM 4 from Santo to the lake is great.

Back