• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

awesome cyclist here!

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Thackston
Just clocked my first 30 (give or take) miles on two wheels, and I cannot wait to do it all the time! :rider: Just on a whim, a couple months ago, I woke up with the need for a bike. I can't explain it. It just happened, so I started doing some research, looking for something for a beginner and signed up for a MSF class. I just finished the class today with Awesome Cycles (Mike and Todd were the instructors and they rocked). I had so much fun. The instructors were great and the group of students was so varied and cool, one couldn't help but have a good time. I ended up cutting my hair after the first day because it got so hot under the helmet and it was sticking to my sweaty forehead (now I look a lot more like my avatar). I only got up to about 30 mph in the parking lot, but that was more than enough at my inexperienced level to give me goosebumps. When we had to do the riding evalutation at the end, I was so nervous and we started with the hardest exercise, the figure 8! I tried to do it all in first gear and kept wobbling, put my foot down and went out of the box. I was laughing the entire time! I think my eyes might have even been closed for part of it! After that I did much better, all in all, I had a fantastic time. I've already recommended it to people who don't plan on even owning a motorcycle. It's just a fun thing to do with a free weekend. I can't wait to get mine and start driving in empty parking lots myself. . . then through my neighborhood. . . then on 1960. . . and eventually the freeway. . . baby steps. . . very exciting!

hiyo_hyo said:
Just clocked my first 30 (give or take) miles on two wheels, and I cannot wait to do it all the time!

Cool. What bike and where and how? :rider:

:tab Congratulations! You are wise in seeing that the MSF course simply makes you qualified for riding around a parking lot and that you will need to take several steps to progress to the streets! Mall parking lots are great for practicing after store hours. They are lit, usually clean, and have a road course already laid out around their perimiter! Also, in the heat of summer, the evening will be nicer than the heat of the day. Or if you are an early riser, you can get there before opening hours. If you get comfortable with the stops, starts, corners, etc,... in the parking lot, that will go a long way to easing your mind once you have to start dealing with traffic.

here's a pic of the gang!

Attachments

• the gang.jpg
    the gang.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 223
Welcome to being a rider and TWT.Keep taking those baby steps and you'll be running before you know it.
I've got to ask.....just how old is that avatar picture???

Congrats on the MSF class and a new addiction. Being a newer rider myself I took pretty similar steps that you did. Hate riding on 1960 though.

hahaha John, that's not really me. To answer your question, I'm not sure exactly how old the pic is. When we went back in time I didn't think to ask him.

And, Fayla, I'm planning on getting a Hyosung Comet GT250. On my first post I wrote more about it. It's a fairly young brand out of Korea. I've heard good things.

:giveup: You do know that the Hyosung GT250R only has 5 gears. Is heavier then then the Ninja 250 and gives less mpg then the ninja 250.

ON a good note is more sporty looking, and has bigger rims.

Plus its too new to be compared (and beat) a Ninja 250 which has'nt change d since the 1980s!

Black Widow, you're a hundred percent right and I don't know if it's an issue of style over substance but I'm just feeling the hyo more then the kawi. Also, the bike's got seoul! And, I'd have to change my name!

Voltar, I just talked to my guy today and he ordered the bike. It should be in at the end of the week. I'll have pics up soon after.

And, Todd!!! What's up dude! I'm not surprised to find at least one of you guys on here. I didn't take the picture myself. My brother came up to see me while we were practicing and he brought his digicam.

Cool! The MSF I took in Spring Branch over a year ago was a great time. It was also the first time I had ever been on a bike! Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders, you'll do great.
I believe MPH Cycles just off I-10 going towards Katy is a Hyosung dealer. If anything, at least check out their Moto Guzzi line. The new Griso will make you cream your pants. :mrgreen: But just look.... it's too much bike for a beginner. ;-)
And ya, you might want to stay away from 1960 for quite a while. Head out west to the back country roads.... heavy traffic like 1960 is not fun, even for experienced riders. Too many lights, intersections, driveways, cars, etc. And the constant stopping and slow speeds in the middle of summer makes it even worse.
good luck!

Back