TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Upcoming Rides, Trips and Events

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 11-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #1081
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Re: Weekly Piney Woods BBQ lunch

Well, I had hoped to make it as I really like Mallett Bro BBQ, but I had to come into work early to cover for a person that is out of the office. It sure is a pretty day. It would have been HARD to make myself ride back to work after lunch...

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:23 AM   #1082
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
Well, I had hoped to make it as I really like Mallett Bro BBQ, but I had to come into work early to cover for a person that is out of the office. It sure is a pretty day. It would have been HARD to make myself ride back to work after lunch...
Missed a good meal and great weather! Had 7 guys today!
TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
All for sale!
woodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #1083
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Weather looks decent for this time of year. C&J bbq in College Station? 11 Friday or if someone prefers somewhere else I'm game.
TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
All for sale!
Old 11-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #1084
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Mmmm... C&Js...

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 11-14-2018, 04:45 AM   #1085
jfink
Forum Supporter

I am counting on you Rob, your forecast has got to be better than my chosen meteorologist. I told my wife about the '0' forecast for precipitation yesterday and she said that after I left on the bike yesterday, they changed it to 80% ... LOL.

'04 Goldwing (ich bin eine Deutschlander) (US States and Canadian Provinces)
'11 KTM 990 Dakar (all 23 countries in South, Central and North America)
'14 KTM 500 Exc
'14 BMW GTL Exclusive
'17 KTM Super Duke GT

Where I have ridden
jfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:19 AM   #1086
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfink View Post
I am counting on you Rob, your forecast has got to be better than my chosen meteorologist. I told my wife about the '0' forecast for precipitation yesterday and she said that after I left on the bike yesterday, they changed it to 80% ... LOL.
hopefully
Attached Thumbnails
7_day.jpg  
TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
All for sale!
Old 11-14-2018, 05:53 PM   #1087
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Wow... that is just about perfect!

I might have to impose on Dad to let me come in a bit later to work than normal lest I go nuts... He LOVES their ribs. Maybe if I offer to bring back a few for him he will relent

Quote:

Old 11-15-2018, 10:43 AM   #1088
pkiser

Planning to be there!
pkiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #1089
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
All for sale!
Old 11-15-2018, 12:58 PM   #1090
Rsquared
Forum Supporter

I'm in.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:10 PM   #1091
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Dad fell for the ribs, so I plan to be there

Quote:

Old 11-16-2018, 05:51 PM   #1092
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I'm telling ya... it was HARD going back to work after lunch today!! It was such a pretty day. The dirt roads were great, with only a few nasty spots. I could have ridden all day.

As always, the food at C&Js was great. Dad enjoyed the ribs I brought back for him.

Quote:

Old 11-16-2018, 06:00 PM   #1093
jfink
Forum Supporter

You guys may have heard me mention that I had to change the brake pads on my wifes car. This information came from the Honda dealer from Clear Lake when my wife took it in to have the oil changed. When we bought the car we bought a lifetime oil change. This dealership takes advantage of people, especially women, who don't have the resources or the knowledge to check for themselves. Here's what I found:

Comparison of the current pad (top) to the new pads (lower). There is at least 50% left on the pad.

I also realize you really don't want the pad to go all the way to the wear indicator, but it is a long way from being there:

The dealership charges over $250 to change the pads. I bought these Wagner pads for $45 and it is a very easy job to change them. This wasn't the first time they tried to get us. My daughter also took her car in for an oil change and they wanted to charge her $250 to change the rotors and another $250 for pads because they were ruined. When I went in, the story changed, they covered it under warranty, but only because "they were good guys!"

You may not be able to tell, but I am a little PO'ed right now! Thanks for letting me vent!

'14 KTM 500 Exc
'14 BMW GTL Exclusive
'17 KTM Super Duke GT

Where I have ridden

Last edited by jfink; 11-16-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:08 PM   #1094
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

That suks. At least they didn't make the money.

TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
All for sale!
Old 11-16-2018, 06:09 PM   #1095
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

7 of us enjoyed the weather and bbq.

TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
All for sale!
Old 11-16-2018, 09:26 PM   #1096
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

And dealerships often wonder why people don't trust them...

Those Jiffy Lube and similar places do the same thing. You go in for an oil change and they start listing all these things that are wrong with your car. "Dude... JUST change the oil and filter... NOTHING ELSE!" And then they start in with how you are gonna crash and burn if you don't fix all the things on their list before you leave their shop

Quote:

Old 11-16-2018, 09:34 PM   #1097
jfink
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
And dealerships often wonder why people don't trust them...

Those Jiffy Lube and similar places do the same thing. You go in for an oil change and they start listing all these things that are wrong with your car. "Dude... JUST change the oil and filter... NOTHING ELSE!" And then they start in with how you are gonna crash and burn if you don't fix all the things on their list before you leave their shop
I think the thing that makes me most angry is that they pick on the women. I am certain that that statement would cause my wife to go ballistic. But, let's be honest, you got a good looking service writer telling you, "oh, your car is going to go down in flames, if you don't have this repaired immediately, we wouldn't want that to happen to you!" Easy pickins. Fortunately, my wife and daughters know to come ask me about it first.

'14 KTM 500 Exc
'14 BMW GTL Exclusive
'17 KTM Super Duke GT

Where I have ridden
Old 11-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #1098
jbird710

Stubbs got Michelle like that when she took her bike in for inspection. Told her the rear brake pads were almost gone. I tried to tell her that they had plenty of wear left and I could do it for less than 1/3 their price. But, she had them changed anyway.

To the other extreme, an old college friend’s wife told him her brakes were making a funny noise when she backed out of the driveway. He swapped cars with her, took hers into the Firestone shop in Clear Lake, and when the guy pulled the wheel, they found she had no pad left and was halfway through the rotor on two wheels. So, ever since, “funny noise” has been a running joke.

Don't you know about the Bird?

7 Hondas, a Harley, and a basket case Suzuki
"The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect"
jbird710 is offline   Reply With Quote