• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1980 Yamaha XS 850 Special Triple

Reaction score
Hi All,

Ready to part with the XS850. I got it about 4 years ago from a guy who kept it covered in his garage and he didn't ride it much after having kids. I ride it quite a bit and it runs like it should. Rubber parts all look good, and suspension is very adjustable and feels great. I've taken it on all-day rides for over 200 miles and quick runs around town and it's super reliable and feels great. Love the 3 cylinder motor with its torque, smooth power, and a nice tone. Charges around the hill country with a passenger just fine and I'm 6'3" and weigh 230.

Here's details:
1980 Yamaha XS850 Special - 3 cylinder
14,xxx miles (I still ride it weekly)
99% stock with a few mods
replaced stock vacuum actuated petcocks with manual ones (on/off/reserve)
replaced original water battery with nice sealed gel battery. Starts every time electrically or with kickstarter
swapped original high cruiser bars for speedster style flatter handlebar. Original bars come with it.
Original Suspension is totally adjustable and rides really nicely. Air/oil forks are easy to adjust with small pump.
Shaft drive 5 speed - no chain maintenance
Comfy, reliable, unique, runs great stock or would be awesome to modify.

tach doesn't work, you'll want to recover seat as it has some little splits in it, and the tank paint has some chips in it.

I'm going to focus on a the old family mustang and home projects. Contact me, come have a look and enjoy this thing all season. I'll include an armored mesh summer jacket if you're an XL.

The bike is for sale for US cash only in person, no trades of any other goods or services. Really, I don't need any other stuff. Thanks for looking. Yes the pic is the actual bike on a road up by Manor. Clean title in my name.
Askin' $3000.
please give a call or text: 512 seven eighty-eight 25 25
THanks! Bob

Here's the CL post: http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5010514169.html

and here's the NADA value link: http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/1980/Yamaha/XS850G-TRIPLE/Values

Attachments

• XS850.jpg
    XS850.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 3,157
Good bikes I had an 80 in black put some superbike bend bars and its not a bad ride at all.

I bought this '79 model when it was a 750. This one is the Venture model. It came with fairing, bags and backrest with a custom soft bag that mounted to the luggage rack.
topost029.jpg

I liked it so much that I bought a naked 1980, black with blue metal flake. My wife and I rode it 55,000 miles before selling it to a friend. Saddle bags, windshield and luggage rack on this one were added. Here we are on the Talimena trail.
lastonesbeforeslides0045.jpg

I hope whoever buys yours enjoys it as much as we did.

awesome pics! pretty cool you still have those. The fairing and luggage racks were pretty nice and look super protective like the cop bike rails... good idea. I guess it did pretty well for you all loaded down. The naked one looks like you bolted on some samsonite! And did you add the manual petcocks? Looks like a lever on the petcock in your pic.
The 850 really does have some good pull and it's a good feeling right between twin's torque and 4 smoothness.
THanks for sharing those!

yeah, I'm tall and really like the position. The flatter bars give just the right reach. You may remember the stock bars rise up about 10" and curve down. They lasted about a day with me as I punched myself in the legs anytime I turned.

We didn't remove anything from the bike except tires. Stock petcock was adjustable for reserve. Good eye, that is Samsonite tribar luggage. The 850 was our favorite bike for years and years and we have had many. Here's 5 street bikes we had in 1981. 850 triple, 750 triple, Honda 750 Kawasaki 1000 and Triumph 650 chopper with 16" extended forks
lastonesbeforeslides0051.jpg

Last edited:
Back