jetdr21

Re: Motorcycle first aid training

Thanks.. Could you please post the times and address again. See you Saturday
jetdr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #42
Thrasherg
Forum Supporter

The training will start at 9:00am both the 14th & 15th and finish at 5:00pm (probably earlier), so it would be good if people could be there by 8:45am to say hi and be ready for the training. There is secure covered parking available!!
The address is 2268 County Road 852, McKinney, TX 75071 and if you need to contact me for any reason, my number is 972 832 9602. If you have trouble finding the address, its about 200 yards from the intersection between US380 and Custer Rd, there is a large Wallmart at that intersection.

We will provide drinks and refreshment, but ask that people bring a packed lunch or there are a few quick food restaurants (Burger King, etc) very near by.

Regards Gary
06 CRF450X (Mine)
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
02 Gas Gas TXT200
Thrasherg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:08 PM   #43
Thrasherg
Forum Supporter

Okay guys, I think I am missing one or two email addresses to send the pictures from the graduation ceremony. If you have not received any pictures from em, please send me your email address and I will forward the pictures.

Once again, a big thanks to everyone that attended. It was a lot of fun and I learnt a lot!! Now can I remember it all!! That will be the challenge..

Gary
06 CRF450X (Mine)
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
02 Gas Gas TXT200
Old 04-16-2018, 08:05 AM   #44
Jeff S
Forum Supporter

Hi guys,

If ya'll don't mind, I'd love the hear the goods and bads of the class. I'm going to set one up in Austin, and need to decide between the guys ya'll used and the 'Expedition School' ...
Old 04-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #45
jetdr21

I thought the class was very well presented from a riders perspective.. It was lead by a trauma nurse who was also a rider, so that is where it comes from.. It also teaches accident scene management, and what to do until help arrives.. It does go into more than just basic first aid. It also teaches how to use teamwork to manage a scene as well as if you are alone. It also goes into stuff unique to motorcycles like when and how to properly remove a helmet. Not really any minuses except having to drive 60 miles across the metromess each way..
Thanks again to Gary for setting this up and supplying the place..

Last edited by jetdr21; 04-16-2018 at 09:12 AM.
jetdr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #46
Thrasherg
Forum Supporter

As stated our trainer Michelle is an air vac trauma nurse who has seen more than her fair share of motorcycle accidents and injuries, she has a passion for riding motorcycles and that is where her motivation comes from to provide this training. She is clearly very experienced in medical trauma treatment, but despite some of the cold facts (dealing with dead bodies, etc) she did an excellent job at communicating the importance of each step, the reason why it is performed in a specific order and keeping it all upbeat and enjoyable. She presented a lot of information. I was a little dissapointed by the basic training as it was mainly watching videos, listening to Michelle talk and almost no practical hands-on, but lots of opportunity for questions. the second day (advanced) was much more interesting with lots of opportunity to practice what we had learnt in the Basic training and the new topics that where covered in the advanced training, she provided several medical dummies to practice on (CPR, splinting, etc).

There is only so much information you can absorb in 2 days and I thought the course struck a very good balance, you weren't left thinking you had wasted a lot of time, but you where also not left thinking there was so much information that you had already forgotten half of it by the end of the course. They have a few keyword acronyms that you learn and that really helps the information sink in and stick.. I thought it was a great use of my weekend, and whilst I hope to NEVER have to use the knowledge that we gained, I think it would be very valuable if I am aver involved in an accident scene. I highly recommend the training. Michelle also brought along another trauma EM (Called Chris) who also had a lot of knowledge and would explain things slightly different to Michelle and sometimes that would make it clearer, sometimes not, but they made for a good team and really wanted everyone to get the most out of the training..

I would highly recommend everyone do a course like this as it is so useful in the event you ever come across an accident scene.

Gary
06 CRF450X (Mine)
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
02 Gas Gas TXT200
Old 04-16-2018, 08:07 PM   #47
terrywfrazier

I thought the course was a great use of my weekend. I donít have anything to compare it to, but felt like it struck a good balance between theory and practice (within the limits of what you can realistically practice in such a course.)

The instructors brought a lot of equipment and a lot of supplies that we could see and put to use. That helped a great deal. There were videos, lecture, exercises, and scenarios. I really donít know what else they could have added. We were able to practice breathing and a limited form of CPR on dummies, which was really helpful for me.

I donít have any negatives to report. The people were knowledgeable, practical and efficient. If Iím ever the accident victim I hope whoever is with me has had such a course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
'05 750 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
'75 Suzuki TM100
'74 CZ 250 Enduro
'74 Yamaha TY250
'73 CZ 380 MX
'73 CZ 125 MX
terrywfrazier is online now   Reply With Quote