TWT Forums  

 


Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > User Reviews of Bikes, Mods, Gear, etc,... > Bikes > Suzuki Bandits

Notices

Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #1
ss3964spd
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Fairfax, Va
Posts: 12
Bandit 1250 - New Member from Northern Va

Hey Gang (I posted this also in the Welcome forum),

New here, but not new to forums. Decided to get back in the saddle after a 20 year lull - mostly due to my youngest son having just bought his first bike (FZ07). My last bike was a Suzuki GS1150G, a freight train of a naked bike and it weighed about the same.

I am generally inclined towards a naked UJM, as that's all I've ever owned. Was seriously considering Honda's retro CB1100. Though I intend to buy used I did go to a local dealer who had a new one just so I could try it on for size. Was a little disappointed really, it felt top heavy to me - very similar to the aforementioned GS. Specs say the Honda is 540 lbs. While there I saw a leftover 2016 Bandit 1250S. "Hmmm...., not a bad looking bike, a little too boy-racer-ish for this old fart, but lemme just throw a leg over......"

To say the Bandit was a surprisingly good fit even for my short and lean frame is an understatement, and it seems to carry its reported 505 lbs lower than the Honda. I went and sat on some other bikes, and even on the Honda again, but always came back to the Bandit.

That was last Saturday. Since we don't buy new vehicles I jumped on CycleTrader when I got back from the dealer and quickly found a clean, local, 2007 Suzuki GSF1250S Bandit with only 3100 miles that I'll take possession of this Saturday.

Which is what brings me here. Did a search for Suzuki Bandit forums and, though there are several, the sub forum here on TWT is easily the most active. So, am looking forward to reading, learning, and participating.

Best,

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #2
RobG
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Missouri City,TX
Posts: 70
Re: Bandit 1250 - New Member from Northern Va

Congrats and enjoy your new ride...
__________________
2003 HD Road King/2012 Suzuki DL650 ABS/2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250 ABS
RobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
ss3964spd
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Fairfax, Va
Posts: 12
Re: Bandit 1250 - New Member from Northern Va

Thanks Rob. With having to register and have it inspected (safety inspection here in Va), and get myself re-licensed to ride a bike, it'll be 2 or 3 weeks before I can really ride it much. Oh, and there's still safety and accessory gear to buy. My wife is being an exceedingly good sport about it all.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:27 AM   #4
Peabrain
 
Peabrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Gettysburg, PA
Posts: 22
Re: Bandit 1250 - New Member from Northern Va

Just up the road from you in Gettysburg, Pa. enjoy a great bike. Great riding out West of you. The Plains, etc. Safe riding.
Peabrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
ss3964spd
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Fairfax, Va
Posts: 12
Re: Bandit 1250 - New Member from Northern Va

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peabrain View Post
Great riding out West of you. The Plains, etc. Safe riding.
Indeed, my youngest and I rode out that way for 5 hours on Sunday - the weather was perfect. Had lunch in Middleburg.

Funny; he rides an FZ07 and kids me about my slightly old man-ish bike. He was happy to take a break after 30 miles; "my butt was starting to hurt". I'm like huh, I don't know anything about that.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:27 AM   #6
Broncsrule21
 
Broncsrule21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 123
Smile Re: Bandit 1250 - New Member from Northern Va

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
Indeed, my youngest and I rode out that way for 5 hours on Sunday - the weather was perfect. Had lunch in Middleburg.

Funny; he rides an FZ07 and kids me about my slightly old man-ish bike. He was happy to take a break after 30 miles; "my butt was starting to hurt". I'm like huh, I don't know anything about that.
That puts a grin on my face.... I know that the old man-ish bike will dust an FZ-07 without blinking an eye.
__________________
07 Bandit
Black Rain
3rd Gen Bandit Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/602048279961934/
Broncsrule21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:13 PM   #7
ss3964spd
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Fairfax, Va
Posts: 12
Re: Bandit 1250 - New Member from Northern Va

If he were a seasoned motorcyclist I suspect he could keep up in tight twisties on the FZ07, it is more than 100 pounds lighter. But he is just a beginner, so - Dad still wins. For now. LOL

Pretty sure he is secretly coveting the 1250.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #8
Broncsrule21
 
Broncsrule21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 123
Re: Bandit 1250 - New Member from Northern Va

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
If he were a seasoned motorcyclist I suspect he could keep up in tight twisties on the FZ07, it is more than 100 pounds lighter. But he is just a beginner, so - Dad still wins. For now. LOL

Pretty sure he is secretly coveting the 1250.
Yes, I agree in the twisties. In a race to 100.. my money on the old girl.
__________________
07 Bandit
Black Rain
3rd Gen Bandit Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/602048279961934/
Broncsrule21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #9
BryansBandit
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Arlington
Posts: 3
Re: Bandit 1250 - New Member from Northern Va

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
Hey Gang (I posted this also in the Welcome forum),

New here, but not new to forums. Decided to get back in the saddle after a 20 year lull - mostly due to my youngest son having just bought his first bike (FZ07). My last bike was a Suzuki GS1150G, a freight train of a naked bike and it weighed about the same.

I am generally inclined towards a naked UJM, as that's all I've ever owned. Was seriously considering Honda's retro CB1100. Though I intend to buy used I did go to a local dealer who had a new one just so I could try it on for size. Was a little disappointed really, it felt top heavy to me - very similar to the aforementioned GS. Specs say the Honda is 540 lbs. While there I saw a leftover 2016 Bandit 1250S. "Hmmm...., not a bad looking bike, a little too boy-racer-ish for this old fart, but lemme just throw a leg over......"

To say the Bandit was a surprisingly good fit even for my short and lean frame is an understatement, and it seems to carry its reported 505 lbs lower than the Honda. I went and sat on some other bikes, and even on the Honda again, but always came back to the Bandit.

That was last Saturday. Since we don't buy new vehicles I jumped on CycleTrader when I got back from the dealer and quickly found a clean, local, 2007 Suzuki GSF1250S Bandit with only 3100 miles that I'll take possession of this Saturday.

Which is what brings me here. Did a search for Suzuki Bandit forums and, though there are several, the sub forum here on TWT is easily the most active. So, am looking forward to reading, learning, and participating.

Best,

Dan
Hello SS3964spd and everyone else,

I am also new to this forum, in Northern VA and the Bandits. Ive been riding on the road since 19 yrs old, 39 now but also took a 10 year break while raising small children. I got back on the road about 4 years ago with a 2002 Ducati monster and fell in love all over again with riding. This past winter I decided I wanted a bigger bike, more capable of 2up riding with the gf and a bit more power. Enter the 2007 Bandit 1250S w/ 12K miles on it I bought from CL about a month ago. Ive now moved to Arlington and the riding here sucks compared to the mountains of Charlottesville but maybe you can provide some suggestions for good roads up here in NOVA. I love the torque and power of the Bandit but I do not like the front fairing at all. It catches the crosswinds at high speeds and moves me around even more than the 400lb monster 620. I have just placed an order from a dealership in the UK for the parts needed to convert my "S" to the Euro "N" model. Any suggestions on this conversion would be appreciated if anyone out there has done it. Im pretty handy but it looks like its going to be quite the little project. I expect the parts to arrive in May. Otherwise, I am enjoying the Bandit alot as a commuter bike right now and Im still trying to get used to it. Seems to handle very well. Im 6', 195, mostly legs so the extra height of this bike is nice but I think the aerodynamics are wrong for me w/ the front. Im catching everything up under my helmet and through my head around on windy days or at high speeds. Ill post updates once I receive my parts and begin my conversion.
BryansBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #10
Tundra Dweller
 
Tundra Dweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Minnesnowda
Posts: 234
Re: Bandit 1250 - New Member from Northern Va

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
If he were a seasoned motorcyclist I suspect he could keep up in tight twisties on the FZ07, it is more than 100 pounds lighter. But he is just a beginner, so - Dad still wins. For now. LOL

Pretty sure he is secretly coveting the 1250.
Welcome and congrats on your new steed! I also came “back to the Bandit” after owning a ‘97 1200S. It is the epitome of UJM. Now with fuel injection and 6 gears even better.
Two quick and easy mods are adding handlebar risers and flipping the pegs.
These make a big difference in comfort. The next mod I did was put 1.1kg. straight wound springs and 5 wt. oil in the forks.
Happy riding and wrenching!
__________________
"When my time has come I prefer to be in the Saddle rather than the Recliner"

2008 Bandit 1250 SA
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
1975 Norton Commando 850
1974 Kawasaki H-1 500
Yes I ride all four
Tundra Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:05 AM   #11
ss3964spd
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Fairfax, Va
Posts: 12
Re: Bandit 1250 - New Member from Northern Va

Welcome to NoVa Bryan. Small world, I grew up in Arlington, which is about 30 minutes from where I am in Fairfax.

Unfortunately you're not going to find any good roads in Arlington. Indeed, You'll have to venture mostly West to do so. There are some very nice back roads in the Clifton area of Fairfax but they only run for a few miles. Loudoun Country still has some great roads and less congestion.

I'm currently waiting on a different windshield, bar risers, and a longer brake line for my '07 to make it a little more comfortable for me during long rides. I don't have too much of an issue with being buffeted by wind from the factory screen - hits me right about helmet height, but the higher bars will have me sitting more upright so a taller screen should work.

You being 6'0" I can imagine that the factory screen is too low. I've not seen any photos of the Euro spec "N", post some if you've got 'em!

Regards,

Dan

Last edited by ss3964spd; 04-17-2018 at 11:06 AM.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > User Reviews of Bikes, Mods, Gear, etc,... > Bikes > Suzuki Bandits

Notices


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All Rights Reserved, Scott Friday 2003-12.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.17713 seconds with 11 queries