• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your Day Rides Here!

Back in January during a respite from the frigid temperatures, I led a group of four hardy dual-sport riders (ThomasM, Jeff S, Not Dave and Soda Pop) for a weekend jaunt around the Texas Hill Country. We rode close to eight hundred glorious miles with picture book perfect weather.

:sun:

The video was shot by Jeff (Jeff S) using a GoPro camera mounted on his trusty Kawasaki Versys engine guard.

RB

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K1P3tcb6RM"]Hill Country Dual Sport Video[/ame]

^ that looks like a blast. I know ThomasM will take his GS anywhere but I might just might need to find a used WR or something to join sometime. I'm afraid to get my GS dirty.....but seriously, I just don't want to drop it $$$$. Nice video.

:lol2:
I guess I'm getting that reputation, but there are some spots at Area51 I won't go (yet), and I was glad to get finished with the first part of River Road in BBNP. :eek2:

That was a seriously fun weekend in Junction. What started as a crazy idea from Fred - "you want to do three days on dirt in junction in mid-january? that's crazy. The weather might be horrible. We're in." turned into a fantastic trip. One of these days I'll get my videos and pics edited and posted.

JB - I'm not sure I'd take a brand new GSW all of those places either, but it was made for it and is a blast to do rides that Fred or Britt or Rich lead or any of the dual sport rides around here and of course last weekend's Big Bend ride. So, come on out...:trust::rider:

^ that looks like a blast. I know ThomasM will take his GS anywhere but I might just might need to find a used WR or something to join sometime. I'm afraid to get my GS dirty.....but seriously, I just don't want to drop it $$$$. Nice video.

ThomasM can ride that GS, you betcha.

My WRR was the smallest bike there by far, but it didn't seem to slow me down much. Plus, I got to use ALL of the throttle MOST of the time. The ride into Austin traffic on Sunday night sucked, but that was after a long 300 mile day and would have sucked on anything.

This was a very fun ride with surprisingly good weather. Thanks to Fred for organizing and leading. I have some photos, somewhere, that I should post someday.

Robb

Great video! Thanks for posting it up.

Looks like this route would be a spectacular ride about mid April when things have greened up and flowers are blooming.

Bet I could get a humble KLR ready by then... :trust:

I shot that video from my Versys, the most on-road bike in the group (by a long shot). It was all class-1 stuff, meaning that even I can do it just fine on my Versys. Dust and visibility was the main problem.

A few of us sidecar folks enjoyed a Saturday afternoon ride yesterday, stopping to enjoy the view of the Louisiana side of Caddo Lake from the bluff in downtown Mooringsport:

get-photo.asp

Well I wasn't able to make the pie run nor make the ride around Lake Livingston but I did manage to get out. Decided to go get some courthouses...again. Hard drive failure and not enough backups and I lost about 60 of the 64 I had so starting over.

First stop was the Wells Fargo in Conroe for cash....no pics. Should have as "The People of WalMart" were representing at the ATM...:eek2:

Montgomery County. Gonna have to go back and get it again as I don't like the picture that much. Too many trees.
58E641D6-987C-4E4C-83D7-218DD0F1FB77_zpskmdrqwuh.jpg

Next stop was Huntsville so rode up US75 and not I45. Decided to try and not ride any freeway if possible. Walker County.
6D293D01-70A2-4DC1-9172-6DF907AD4F9B_zpspeequfex.jpg

Stayed on US75 going north to Madisonville and the Madison County courthouse.
AFEBA642-24FF-4CDE-B34A-402AC921B9D6_zpsy58v4t2c.jpg

Back to US75 for Centerville. Then I remembered why I don't like 75 north of Madisonville. TXDOT, please fix this road. Rough is an understatement. Picked up I45 on the northside of Madisonville thinking "I'll have lunch at Woody's". Both side of the freeway were packed. So road into town for the Leon County courthouse.
9D853E8A-C61F-4C3D-8BAC-114B1CC03D28_zpsokyak4y0.jpg

Took Texas 7 and made my way over to Crockett for Houston County. The Moose Head café was packed on such a nice day so plan B.
90455FD4-4AA3-4DAA-99BD-71D7FBA8F4AC_zpsslxxz7al.jpg

Plan B was to ride out to the loop and hit the Whataburger. Can't go wrong with Whataburger. As I rode into the parking lot, the smell of Q was in the air. I followed my nose to the end of the same building as Whataburger and found this.
1FCB74E7-8B5A-4EA4-B8C1-91A20ADE32DE_zps6gw3ykps.jpg

Here's lunch. $14. No pie but the cherry cobbler beats no pie at all.
1AB1B6A9-6A42-4766-9466-48BF7E612FE6_zps1fxm7tl6.jpg

Ribs and one side $9.99. added a link of sausage, tea, beans (free)and cobbler to make it a balanced meal. I needed a nap after that.

Down the road on US287 to Groveton for Trinity County. The Texas Historical Commission has finished up the rehab and I will be going back to look at the inside.
6B65FDFB-8D39-46EA-AAD8-98CBAD54FD08_zpsjv3gd1lz.jpg

Deciding that I'd had enough for the day, I headed back west on 287 with a left turn on to TX 94 to Trinity. Coming into Trinity, I spied DQ and "ice cream" came to mind. So into the DQ I turn. Get my Dilly Bar as the crew behind the counter was swamped. Went back out side to enjoy the day and ice cream. One of the young guys from DQ came out to center up his sign that had the special advertised. Bacon Cheeseburger $6.89. Said he was going to center it up. The boss had put it up but didn't have time to come back out to "fix" it. Early in the morning and no coffee was the excuse. He should have used spell check too.
410EB380-D72A-4E34-9BB4-6F750DEBDDCA_zpsa9lo0aca.jpg

Just another day in paradise..:rider:

Look what Mason and I found today! About a three footer, skinny.....:eek2:

Attachments

• rattlebug41214.jpg
    rattlebug41214.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 218
Nothing a good 20 gauge couldn't fix.

Neighbor is a er nurse. She said they had their first snake bite of the season this past week. Said they'll see 2-3 per week now that they're out crawling. Around here it's mostly copperheads.

Nothing a good 20 gauge couldn't fix.

Neighbor is a er nurse. She said they had their first snake bite of the season this past week. Said they'll see 2-3 per week now that they're out crawling. Around here it's mostly copperheads.

Copperheads by us too, I got a stick and fooled with this one to make him rattle slowly at first, then faster so Mason could hear that sound! He's got it now! Not far from Alcoa/Luminant, we let him be........hey RG, I left another photo of the ole girl in the KLR thread where the wheels disappeared into the blue bonnets......made me think of you. :sun:

Even at a standstill, GG's scarf is at the proper angle...
WP_001723_zps5043c3b9.jpg

father and son, resting up before hard ride home
WP_001719_zpsb7fb1322.jpg

WP_001720_zps7f9aca02.jpg

Thankfully no snakes around our place while I spent the better part of last week's spare time tuning the GS sidecar rig - used a ho'made contraption to balance the throttle bodies after adjusting the valves:

get-photo.asp

Took Maddie for a short ride down to Wallace Lake (more like Wallace Swamp) on the 1st of several attempts to tune the oilhead:

get-photo.asp

And Mrs. SwampFox made a lemon pie while I was out tinkering on the bike :mrgreen:

Mogollon Rim, Az.

Attachments

• image-3599846934.jpg
    image-3599846934.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 205
  • image-3051646520.jpg
    image-3051646520.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 199
Red Canyon east of Sedona. Spectacular scenery and great ride!

image-4241009760.jpg

image-1682710738.jpg

Last edited:
Nice day rides JackNTexas and Tourmeister. SpiritAtBay, you were at Murphys a few days prior to our MS150 moto group.

Print shop Tavern, north of Hog Eye.....;-)

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate you all. :)

In other news, I got the front end of my bike back together although I'm still trying to work an alternate for my wiring harness. Fingers are crossed that my motor is in the mail and coming back as we speak.

Justin

I hate you all. :)

In other news, I got the front end of my bike back together although I'm still trying to work an alternate for my wiring harness. Fingers are crossed that my motor is in the mail and coming back as we speak.

Justin

:clap: :sun: :rider:

Hate you too, brother! :sun:

Back