• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Buying salvage motorcycles questions

I have never heard of that site before but let us know how your experience with them goes

I have had a few. The key is identifying the damage and replacing. If the frame is bent, I will pass unless I know where another frame might be. The good thing about bikes is everything is pretty much bolt on. Body work is usually limites to tanks and side panels. again...just bolt on stuff. The key is identifying everything that might be wrong so you don't wind up spending more than a non wrecked bike. Especially check the frame and subframes, triple tree, wheels, and swing arms for cracks. Also, I almost always find addtional damage once I do the tear down so allow some extra in the budget for that. Most folks shy away from Salvage titles so don't expect it to bring anywhere close to top dollar if you choose to resale.:chug:

damnit! Just found the bike I want next on there in great shape it seems.

now I gotta come up with the cash and go get it LOL

We purchased a couple of motorcycles from Crankyape http://www.crankyape.com and had a great time. You can go visit the vehicles prior to bidding on them. We purchased several bikes for very little money, both of them had been laid down, one just had a scratched exhaust system and the other had a damaged exhaust and a small dent in the gas tank. I was able to get stock exhausts from ebay for next to nothing and the dented tank we blew out with compressed air. Crankyape supplied the titles and and it was really easy to fix & register the bikes. We have them insured fully comprehensive, so if we where to ever have an accident I don't know how much the insurance would pay up as the titles do state they were salvage titles.

As long as you can check the bikes before bidding and you work with a reputable company that supplies the required paperwork, then its real easy and can save you a lot of money.

Gary

That's what sucks about living out in the middle of nowhere... 400 miles minimum just to check bikes out. But at least they give information of vehicle inspectors.

That's what sucks about living out in the middle of nowhere... 400 miles minimum just to check bikes out. But at least they give information of vehicle inspectors.

If you find one ask someone local from the forum to check it out. I have done that for folks several times on ADV and TWT.:chug:

That web site is going to get me in hot water with my wife for sure. Like I need another project to not finish. I'll keep looking though.

My GPZ was "once" salvaged. Woman backed into it, busted up 75% of the plastic. It had no structural damage, just plastic. Plastic cost more than 70% of wholesale so they totaled it.

The ins co sent a notice to the Great State of Texas who then canceled my title. Fixed all the plastic, got it inspected, took that to the title office and $286 later I have a new salvage title and tags.

Since then I moved to Oklahoma, who failed to notice that it was a Texas salvage title and now I have a perfectly clear Oklahoma title:clap:

Point being, a salvage title only means that it will cost more to repair at a service dealer than the "wholesale" value of the bike less what a salvage yard will give them. In my case I was able to repair my GPZ myself for less than $200, while the ins co said it was worth $4200 retail and $3200 wholesale. It was then worth $810 as salvage. Subtract the $810 from the $3200 and you have $2390. Any repairs over $2390 and the ins co considers it a total loss. In my case the repair est was $2700, thus a total loss.

I decided to keep the bike so the ins co sent me a check for $4200 + $200 for accessories, + another $250 for TT&L - $810 for the salvage value and the total was a check in the mail for $3540. Which I used to buy a "97 Bandit 1200S. As the story goes, $468 later the GPZ is back on the streets. With 90K plus miles on it now you would never know it had ever been busted up or a "salvage" bike.

^^ Yeah I think its a crap shoot sometimes through, have to make sure you know that the damage is superficial and not structural. Some salvage titles can be a great deal, others a money pit

I did a search for Hondas and noticed a lot of CBR250Rs with front end damage. New riders probably.

Back