• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sent here by my friend===hello all

Reaction score
First Name
Rodney
Last Name
Strachan
Hi all my name is Rodney and I live in Ft.Worth. I used to ride a long time ago,the last bike I had was one of the first kawasaki z-1000 to hit the streets. A friend of mine said her husband was wanting to sell his bike and I was not really interested because I had alot of things going on at the time. But for some reason I asked her about it and she said He bought it new and hurt his back and covered it in the back of his shop. Turns out it is a 1980 yamaha 850 special, Looks like it cames off the showroon floor except in a inch of dust. He had not drained the gas oil or anything. I offered him 700.00 for it and he took it. And I had a project to take home, The carbs were full of goo as was the brake lines and tanks. The battery was completely dry and well you can just imagine. I put a bottle of gas with a gas line to the carbs and a new battery and I thought if it starts I will work on it if it doesnt I will sell it for parts. The darn thing started on the second kick (both electric and kick) it ran but didnt sound real good but it ran. I have slowly rebuilt the thing and ride it to work and around for fun. About me I started as a EMT then went to nursing school and have been in hospitals and offices for 13 years.

roadmedik said:
Hi all my name is Rodney and I live in Ft.Worth. I used to ride a long time ago,the last bile I had was one of the first kawasaki z-1000 to hit the streets. A friend of mine said her husband was wanting to sell his bike and I was not really interested because I had alot of things going on at the time. But for some reason I asked her about it and she said He bought it new and hurt his back and covered it in the back of his shop. Turns out it is a 1980 yamaha 850 special, Looks like it cames off the showroon floor except in a inch of dust. He had not drained the gas oil or anything. I offered him 700.00 for it and he took it. And I had a project to take home, The carbs were full of goo as was the brake lines and tanks. The battery was completely dry and well you can just imagine. I put a bottle of gas with a gas line to the carbs and a new battery and I thought if it starts I will work on it if it doesnt I will sell it for parts. The darn thing started on the second kick (both electric and kick) it ran but didnt sound real good but it ran. I have slowly rebuilt the thing and ride it to work and around for fun. About me I started as a EMT then went to nursing school and have been in hospitals and offices for 13 years.

Sounds like you're pretty good at fixing things mechanical as well as human!

Welcome to the forum. :clap:

Iam going to get some pictures of it to post, for being so old it looks pretty good. The next thing I have to do is have the the front shocks rebuilt. One of them is leaking slightly. All the rubber on the bike was dried up. Darn texas heat! Now I can find some friends here to ride with when I get road fever.

firemedicntx said:
I just love the feeling of getting a good deal on an old dead bike, and you fire it up for the first time. Howdy!

Daniel

Daniel,

If you're looking for a good deal on an old dead bike I have an 1980 GS 850G Suzuki, 18,000 mi., with lots of extras. Bought new, garage kept until about two months ago. I have just recently moved it into the driveway with cover on it to make room for my tools (tools taken out of my '79 work truck when it died, I have since revived my van but not put my tools back in it).

It died due to allowing it to sit all winter with bad gas in tank and carbs about 10 yrs ago. I'm sure many other things have gummed up since then. I didn't have the time, or money back then to get it going again. I'm asking $550 for it.

Larry

Oh, and Hi, Rodney. I really like it here and I bet you will too.

Welcome Daniel :wave:

You'll have to bring your bike round to a DFW meet & greet.
Not sure if the locations been decided this week, but its every tuesday night.

:welcome: Rodney!

There are several TWT folks that are nurses around the Ft. Worth area - who referred you?

We have a Tarrant County group that has Meet, Greet, and Eat events on Tuesday nights at various places around our county. Last week it was Chipotle in NRH, this coming week (2/17) is TBD. Time is usually around 7:30 PM - come join us if you can.

There was about 31 of us from DFW. Temple/Waco, and Houston, and several other places that rode today to get pie, a once-a-month event. Wind was a killer today, though. :giveup:

(pssss, tx-vfr, on this thread we're welcoming Rodney) (I'm not trying to slight you, Daniel. It's just that Rodney started this one.)

Larrypv said:
(pssss, tx-vfr, on this thread we're welcoming Rodney) (I'm not trying to slight you, Daniel. It's just that Rodney started this one.)
:doh:

I should go to bed :argh:

Daniel,

Somehow I missed your intro, so by all means, welcome to you also. By the way, I'm only one month older than you.(join date, that is) :)

Now back to the regularly scheduled Rodney.

Larry

Larrypv said:
Daniel,

If you're looking for a good deal on an old dead bike I have an 1980 GS 850G Suzuki, 18,000 mi., with lots of extras. Bought new, garage kept until about two months ago. I have just recently moved it into the driveway with cover on it to make room for my tools (tools taken out of my '79 work truck when it died, I have since revived my van but not put my tools back in it).

It died due to allowing it to sit all winter with bad gas in tank and carbs about 10 yrs ago. I'm sure many other things have gummed up since then. I didn't have the time, or money back then to get it going again. I'm asking $550 for it.

Larry

Oh, and Hi, Rodney. I really like it here and I bet you will too.
I would like to see the bike what part of the metroplex do you live in? I have a brother who is dying to get a bike, If I can get it foe him he would love it. Roadmedik

Larrypv said:
Daniel,

Somehow I missed your intro, so by all means, welcome to you also. By the way, I'm only one month older than you.(join date, that is) :)

Now back to the regularly scheduled Rodney.

Larry
Thanks Larry I signed up awile ago but got busy and didnt spend the time to learn the site and meet people but now Iam ready to go and got spring fever to ride.

Gilk51 said:
:welcome: Rodney!

There are several TWT folks that are nurses around the Ft. Worth area - who referred you?

We have a Tarrant County group that has Meet, Greet, and Eat events on Tuesday nights at various places around our county. Last week it was Chipotle in NRH, this coming week (2/17) is TBD. Time is usually around 7:30 PM - come join us if you can.

There was about 31 of us from DFW. Temple/Waco, and Houston, and several other places that rode today to get pie, a once-a-month event. Wind was a killer today, though. :giveup:
A doctor friend sent me but I cant remember his name on here? Where id the meet and greet going to be tuesday?

roadmedik said:
A doctor friend sent me but I cant remember his name on here? Where id the meet and greet going to be tuesday?
I was going to ride some but when I couldnt see across the street I decided to leave it covered.

roadmedik said:
Hmmm, maybe Tony (ilv2wheels) - he mainly rides a KLR650 but has been known to camp out at EuroSportCycle in FW... :lol2:

Last edited:
roadmedik said:
Where is the meet and greet going to be tuesday?
It looks like sharkey dealt 4 choices - the decision should be made by Monday or so... :lol2:
Thread is here...

roadmedik said:
That sounds like him for sure.
:doh: This may be the better way - is this him by any chance?
tony_1185q.jpg

XS850 is a cool old bike, I had one for several years.
Cool sounds come out of that triple when you get it
rolling. Word of Caution the centerstand can and will
lever the rear tire off the ground when making fast lefthanders

I scared mysely silly on Petit Jean Mtn in Ar years ago making
that discovery, guys at the car muesuem at the top loaned
me the tools and let me leave the offending stand with them

Enjoy your XS they are a fun and rather unique bike as there
were very few triples available in the 80s

Back