• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

looking for fellow noobs and maybe a girl or three?

650 is alot of bike for any newb. I wouldn't blame yourself for being shaking.

That is a pretty tame bike and a decent starting bike.

As far as the hands shaking, it could also be tension too. Work on relaxing your arms and your grips on the bars. But time on the bike is the best way. More laps around the neighborhood and stretching your area where you are comfortable riding will help. I go down roads near the house now that 11 years ago when I was learning to ride I would be going slower and talking in my head. "Look where your are going." "Push right to go right." "Roll on the throttle through the curve." Stuff like that from the MSF class. Now it is all automatic (well, mostly).

Some people dive right in and get comfortable and go everywhere and others, like me, take their time and expand their comfort zone. Long time Austin riders will remember when I wouldn't ride into Austin for the bike nights we had. I'd come in my truck. I'd go all over outside of town on backroads, but no traffic or interstates. Just kept expanding my horizons. Now it isn't an issue. Well, still hate stop and go traffic, but I didn't like it before motorcycles either.

Anyway, keep having fun and learning.

Kiwi...yep I think I am looking right in front of me! Sheesh. I don't always but I don't always wobble either so....

Woodbutcher... thanks for making me feel like less of a dork. The people I know who ride all seem to be much more natural than myself and its nice to know I'm at least not alone! I totally have the running dialogue goingn in my head too! Wondering if your a type a personality? Lol. I've read so much about riding and my boyfriend who rides is a great instructor but I think my perfectionism gets me in my head a lot. I know others just get on and go have fun. I'm so concerned about doung everything right and not messing up that I forget to just enjoy sometimes.

The annoying thing is that over a year ago when I first got my license I followed my bf around some back roads and through traffic and then got on 45 for a while and even went 70. All on my dirtbike, the klx 250. Then I didn't ride for a year but now I feel like I'm more scared than then. Maybe I've read more to make me cautious? Not sure. I haven't ridden with anyone since getting my new bike. Maybe I just need some company. I hate being outdone. Or that could get me in trouble. Lol

Just going to get on that bike and practice as much as I can. Thanks guys

You may need to get an experienced rider to follow you around some as was said, to give you some pointers on what your doing wrong/right on the starts, turns and all, and also to lead some so you can observe how he/she is riding thru particular situations. Even if they can't follow on a bike but in a car will do, then you follow in the car while they ride your bike with you watching what they are doing. Just keep at it and it will get to be almost like second nature.:yawn:

I got up to 55 this morning yall. Woohoo! I know....I know...I'm a total doofas but speed has been challenging me. Cruised up and down a street here that's 50mph and also realized I don't need to start slowing down as soon as I have been. I have new pretty brakes that work great. Lol. How long before my hands stop shaking everytime I get off my bike? I don't notice when I'm riding but after getting off I still get a little shakey. Did I mention I'm a doofus? My starts are also still a little wobbly and it drives me nuts. I think I might be releasing the clutch a bit slower than necessary? Practice practice.

When the bike wobbles, try squeezing the gas tank with your legs. It should stop wobbling. Believe me, riding my KLX on the intersate and especially over the causeway to Galveston, that bike would WOBBLE!! But when it did, I'd just squeeze the gas tank with my legs and it went away. It should be easier on your bike being bigger and heavier. :)

That is a pretty tame bike and a decent starting bike.

Wasn't too long ago, 250s were the starter bikes. Man, I rode 250s almost daily for my first 3 years. Got to where I was pinning the throttle from stop light to stop light. I thought then that was a good time to upgrade.

Just saying, if you're shaking, maybe need to step back, ride the 250 for a while longer.

Guys have given you a lot of good advice, and I'm sure the shakes will stop soon and you'll be just a smooth as the others. It just takes time.

Also, maybe the reason you are more tentative with your new bike, is you don't want to dump it. Where with the 250 it was not a big concern.

Take the bike and tip it over on both sides, then ride it.. JUST kidding..:rofl::rider:

relax and ride lady! youre getting there. new bike jitters, dont want to mess up\ hurt the bike / embarrass yourself. sounds natural to me. you have to find your limits and work on them and in case you havent told yourself yet, from what im reading, you are. it even sounds like you mite be having fun. mission accomplished?

You may need to get an experienced rider to follow you around some as was said, to give you some pointers on what your doing wrong/right on the starts, turns and all, and also to lead some so you can observe how he/she is riding thru particular situations. Even if they can't follow on a bike but in a car will do, then you follow in the car while they ride your bike with you watching what they are doing. Just keep at it and it will get to be almost like second nature.:yawn:

Better yet, have the person video tape you, and post it here.

Thanks hellwig. Yes I'm having fun!

Two smoke... um.... I don't like that idea!!

I just need practice. I'm not cocky and so I talk about my faults to learn more but there are plenty of things I do and rock at. I just need to build confidence and ill be good.

You may also want to consider getting some time with a riding instructor or a mentor who can watch your practice and give you specific feedback.
This could really help you get over anything you may be learning in the way of bad habits and ease your learning curve.

THIS ^^^^ more than any self taught skills for a new and nervous rider is what has helped dozens of riders I've worked with over the years.

A second set of eyes, that come with skills, knowledge, experience and most importantly the ability to observe and then provide feedback in an articulate manner that the specific rider understands and finds useful.

I read somewhere that sports-tology say that to be able to do a complex physical task proficiently, one need perform the task at least 3000 times. Your muscle takes that many rep's to "remember". I think that means if you want to launch your bike w/o wobbles, you need to practice launching 3000 times.

I read somewhere that, in sports-tology, to be able to do a complex physical task proficiently, one need perform the task at least 3000 times. Your muscle takes that many rep's to "remember". I think that means if you want to launch your bike w/o wobbles, you need to practice launching 3000 times. If you have trouble turning left, practice turning 3000 times. Don't know if sports-tology apply to motorcycle riding. But I think so.

3,000 time eh. I don't think it took that long to get it right.:rofl:

I read somewhere that sports-tology say that to be able to do a complex physical task proficiently, one need perform the task at least 3000 times. Your muscle takes that many rep's to "remember". I think that means if you want to launch your bike w/o wobbles, you need to practice launching 3000 times.

So Ki when is your 3,000 anniversary? haha couldn't resist

_

relax and ride lady! youre getting there. new bike jitters, dont want to mess up\ hurt the bike / embarrass yourself. sounds natural to me. you have to find your limits and work on them and in case you havent told yourself yet, from what im reading, you are. it even sounds like you mite be having fun. mission accomplished?

Hellwig is right, if there is anyone i know that has perfected the lay down its ^^^^^^^^ this guy. :doh: i even have video footage of him riding to a lay down to running all in one smoooooooth motion. if you asked him to do it on purpose he would probably hurt himself. that being said, his mind (that week in the desert) trained his body to react to something that had been happening in that situation to prevent injury. he wasn't saying to himself self "bike falling, let go of handlebars, jump gracefully away and run like ****!" point being, you have the basic skills. so if you feel the need to concentrate on something, concentrate on looking ahead or through corners or staying away from scarey vehicles (trucks). think about your route, think about "what if "this" happened right now, what would i do?? and practice doing it in a controlled manner ie emergency braking, avoiding an obsticle, using hand signal and change lanes, identify the hazards close to you and work your way farther and farther away. as you concentrate on the more advanced skills the basic ones will just happen.....just like a graceful dismount in the desert and all will be in balance :zen:

Bikedork took me and two other noobs on a little ride yesterday. We went over train tracks, the kemah bridge, and got our speeds up there. I had a really good time! It was fun being in a group and I got a lot of good critique at the end. The wind at speeds over 50 were my biggest issue. I felt like I was fighting a lot and that my helmet was lifting a bit. Going to try and get the windshield installed this weekend and see if that helps. Then maybe a smaller or different helmet if I'm still having that problem. I was a little tired at the end and went a little too fast in a turn and almost messed up but ended up coming out of it alright. It was my longest ride so far but still short by comparison so I need to work up my stamina.

All in all I learned a lot, gained a lot of confidence and had a whole lot of fun!!!

Bikedork took me and two other noobs on a little ride yesterday. We went over train tracks, the kemah bridge, and got our speeds up there. I had a really good time! It was fun being in a group and I got a lot of good critique at the end. The wind at speeds over 50 were my biggest issue. I felt like I was fighting a lot and that my helmet was lifting a bit. Going to try and get the windshield installed this weekend and see if that helps. Then maybe a smaller or different helmet if I'm still having that problem. I was a little tired at the end and went a little too fast in a turn and almost messed up but ended up coming out of it alright. It was my longest ride so far but still short by comparison so I need to work up my stamina.

All in all I learned a lot, gained a lot of confidence and had a whole lot of fun!!!
Congratulations, sounds like good progress, keep doing that.
Saddle time is your biggest friend right now, that and good feedback and practice will really give good results.

Have fun

All I saw
Hellwig is right
nuff said....

I would like to see that video though. My cam was on but I dont think you can fully appreciate it in first person I seem to remember seeing my shadow running --ha ha ha.:lol2:

looking back on that video I perfected that move there. you captured the slow motion version. I did it a few times while going alot faster. Great video

I'm a little late to this party, but have enjoyed reading about the progress you have made. Keep up the good work! There is no substitution for practice - ride as often as you possibly can. When I began riding, I also had a checklist I continually chanted in my head. As you get more comfortable, this habit goes away without you realizing it. To smooth out your take-off, try using a tiny bit more throttle - you will be amazed at the difference it can make. Also, take a ride in the rain - on purpose! Practice, practice, practice. Think through what you've already experienced, but don't "over analyze" it. Every time you ride, you learn something. IMO - the most important thing you can do ... HAVE FUN ... nothing else compares to the feeling of a great ride! :)

~ Lisa

Back