• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

adding a gearshift pad to boots

whoa

Reaction score
First Name
david
Last Name
day
I received a nice pair of Rev'it boots for Christmas, but the shifter pad is set back over the instep and the contact is on the leading edge of the toe. This results in the surface material wearing back. The aesthetic isn't so much the problem, but I don't want to lose water resistance to the toe box.

If I add a pad, I don't want to stitch because of cost and likelihood of making the boot leak. So I'm thinking a small leather patch with some type of mondo glue. Does anybody have suggestions on what to use?

The other idea is to just treat the area with a mink oil and call it good.

Be a man, just use duct tape :rofl: If you are fashion conscious us the black stuff instead of the silver.

Seriously though, there are very few things that stick well to leather and few adhesives that stay semi-flexible. I'd check with a good shoe shop and see just how waterproof they think they could make stitches. Or if they have a good adhesive that would work.

I dont have the name of any of it anymore but I used to have some leather glue that was intended to be used for any type of leather working. You can look online here http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/choosecountry/choosecountry.aspx

I used to order from them. You could probably even find a leather patch to glue down on top.

I do agree with woodbutcher though, duct tape always works

I've used Gorilla Glue on leather before and it works pretty good. Adding patches to leather, a suede pad to the back of a holster (the suede stayed nice and soft on the side opposite the glue).

Be a man, just use duct tape
Now this is a most excellent suggestion. I'll also give the duct tape idea some thought.

Thanks for the replies, and thanks for the link Jason. I'll check out that site.

Many moons ago I had a small sheepskin slip cover for the shift lever for this purpose. Easily removeable so I only used it when wearing my work dress shoes.

You could make a better looking cover by using neoprene (wet suit material) or the like.

_

In the 80's I had a device that slipped onto the boot to prevent scuffing, can't recall what the brand name was.

The black duct tape is a good idea, and inexpensive. Just to offer another solution there's this:

newblackskinz3.jpg

bike_sox_shoe_protector_1.jpg

Found here: http://www.shubandit.com/

I think it's better and easier to modify the shifter. The company that makes the neoprene sleeve for front forks seals also makes a similiar piece that slides over the shifter. The sheepskin solution sounds good also. Of course, the other solution is to have your dress shoes or boots at the office etc and not worry about the black mark on your riding boots. A positive way of looking at this is that provides an additional excuse for buying additional motorcycle gear and accessories!

I think it's better and easier to modify the shifter. The company that makes the neoprene sleeve for front forks seals also makes a similiar piece that slides over the shifter. The sheepskin solution sounds good also. Of course, the other solution is to have your dress shoes or boots at the office etc and not worry about the black mark on your riding boots. A positive way of looking at this is that provides an additional excuse for buying additional motorcycle gear and accessories!

+1

You can find little shifter boots but the best suggestion i've heard so far is to wrap the shifter rubber in saran wrap. Easy to install and replace and wears well. Haven't tried it yet though.

I've used "shoe glue" before and it's super strong and flexible. Never tried it on leather but repaired a few soles with it.

My first pass is using duct tape over the toe tip. Because I am fashion conscious, I found some bling with aluminum foil tape. This should wear very nicely, and is much simpler than gluing a leather patch over the toe.

Wrapping the shifter is also a good idea. I've been thinking about cutting half the shifter since a low side will mangle the assembly so will keep this in mind.

Thanks for the replies and good ideas.

Back