• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hydration Pack?

I clean mine with baking soda and a little lemon juice. Fill half full of water and shake, shake, shake. When dumping the mixture I flow it thru the drink tube and mouth piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a little bleach and water, per the instructions. At least that was the recommended cleaning method when I bought my CamelBak many years ago. Thorough rinsing is important. A mouthful of water that tastes like bleach is terrible, especially when you have your helmet on and can't spit it out quickly. DAMHIK.

Best method for cleaning any hydration pack, Camelbak, whatever you like to call them, are denture tablets.

Fill your pack with warm water, throw in a couple of tablets and let sit for awhile.

Also works great on cycling water bottles, canteens, anything similar.

Texas Summertime Recipe:

Two scoops of Gatoraid with 1.8 L tap water...shake vigorously and freeze solid. Not thawing quickly enough is rarely a problem between oh...March and December.

Can be served with a crunchy granola bar for a hearty breakfast or with fish steaks and smoked oysters for your noontime dining cuisine. Meets all the dietary requirements of the USDA's food guide pyramid and trapezoid and hexagon and...

Do you guys wear your hydration pack over or under your riding jacket? I guess it would keep you cooler inside, but I don't know about the comfort factor.

Depends on the weather. If I am riding across west Texas in July, I wear mine on the inside of the jacket. Helps to cool me down being up against my back. I also only carry ice water in mine. Then if I am really hot, I can wet my shirt with it when it is hot and dry. When I stop for fuel, I try to drink a gatorade.

My first ridding season, and I need to know if a hydration pack would be a good investment???

Thanks for your help...

As many others have said, absa-friggen-lutely!
I've got a touring machine and my rides are usually pretty long. I do a lot of cross-country riding too which makes it very easy to stay properly hydrated through multiple days of a trip.
I usually keep ice/water in my 3L camelback then a few water bottles with the 'powdered' sports drink mixes handy for when I stop. that way I don't go through all of my backpack water unnecessarily as well as getting some of the other essentials from the sports drinks (electrolytes, blah blah blah). (That and straight up water is a lot easer to clean out of the bladders than the drink mixes or whatever).

Keep in mind though, 'proper' hydration means that you drink plenty of water BEFORE you get out in the heat as well as once you start sweating it off too. Since you just asked about weather or not a hydration pack was a good idea, I'll leave it at that.

Do you guys wear your hydration pack over or under your riding jacket? I guess it would keep you cooler inside, but I don't know about the comfort factor.

My camel back is actually insulated all the way around the bladder so I do not really notice a difference as for whether I keep it inside or outside my jacket. I have a backrest on my driver's seat so if I do not have a passenger I can adjust the driver's backrest a bit to allow me to wear my camelbak on my back outside my jacket. If I do have a passenger, the backrest has to stay in the upright position (so the passenger can stay comfortable on the back seat) so I will wear my camel bak inside my jacket but on my front side. I probably look absolutely ridiculous but I don't really care since I still have access to my water.

If you have a Costco membership check out their hydration pack. Just as good as the top of the line camelbak but only $20. Very good quality for the money.

Walmart has a good one for $20. Best thing is they also sell replacement bladders for it, only $5.

_

Yes. Get one. I strap my on my bike somewhere. I don't keep in the tank bag since I had one leak on me. That's also why I don't wear it. I clip the hose somewhere so I can get to it easily. If you don't get a camel back, you might want to make sure the tube is the same size so you can easily find replacement parts.

Doug

Depends on the weather. If I am riding across west Texas in July, I wear mine on the inside of the jacket. Helps to cool me down being up against my back. I also only carry ice water in mine. Then if I am really hot, I can wet my shirt with it when it is hot and dry. When I stop for fuel, I try to drink a gatorade.

On a really hot all day ride I'll fill the bladder with ice water and tuck it into the back protector pocket of my riding jacket, and then usually pour the rest of the 8lb bag of ice into the pocket too. The evaporative cooling from the melt makes an all day ride in July pretty nice. This is about perfect for 180 miles, which is about how far a tank will take me. Another 8lb bag of ice and some water and You're good to go.

Back