• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Boreing

Reaction score
Does anyone know much about boring? I'm building a cafe racer. It's my first build of anything with a motor, So I dont know much and could use the help where ever I can get it. I just recently purchased a '76 cb550F Super sport engine. I want to beef the little guy up some and I'am thinking boring it out and getting some nice rebuilt carbs would be the way to go. I'd love to get The CR carbs from Benji but I dont feel like dropping 800 dollars right now on carbs alone. Kinda stinks cause the engine I bought didnt come with Carbs. So I will need to buy some. But back to boring. I was wanting to Bore the piston cylenders to be able to fit CB750 racing pistons. Is this hard to do by ones self? via a boring kit and a drill? or Should I get someone else to do it?

I'm building the bike from the ground up. first order of business for me is the engine. I want to beef it up and have it running well before moving on to everything else. Here is my other forum on the progress of my build with what I have bought/ buying. http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81012

I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in here, but my opinion is that you can certainly hone a cylinder on your own but the boring should be left to those with the proper equipment to do so.

You absolutely need to locate a MOTORCYCLE ENGINE machinist; one with Japanese brands experience and no attitude. Sorry, that may not be easy, but it's ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

If you can't find one locally, I have a guy that has done literally multiple DOZENS of motorcycle cylinders, heads & cranks for me over the last 30 years with zero issues.

Back