• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Serious jeep trail

That is a good looking path. Any photo? How "serious" does that get?

I had two friends that did it on KLR 650s They had to work at it been several yeats ago

Noe the ride all the back into Dog Canyon is worth the trip up there
Make sure to Fill your tanks with gas
Not much info But maps show trail and Forest Ranger lives back in National Park
He can give more info

I don't think motorcycles are allowed on any trails in the National Park....
and I'm not aware of any trails on the Lincoln National Forest side that will get you to Dog Canyon from the Rim Road and live to tell about it.:lol2:

I don't think motorcycles are allowed on any trails in the National Park....
and I'm not aware of any trails on the Lincoln National Forest side that will get you to Dog Canyon from the Rim Road and live to tell about it.:lol2:
OK

Skinny & Ed are both just trying to save you some grief. Don't know what route your friends were on, but it wasn't what's on your map. That's nearly all NP land. No Jeeps, no motor bikes, no bicycles, no dogs allowed on any trails. And heavy fines for those who get caught. The route you show runs right around the base of Guadalupe Peak, across the park, and up McKittrick Canyon. Great hiking; I've done much of it. But you'd be in the midst of lots & lots of hikers, and they'd be on their cells calling the rangers.

I believe there are Jeep roads farther west. Go up US 54 from El Paso, and you'll see the road to Dog Canyon. It's clearly marked as an alternate entrance to Guadalupe Mountains NP, but you probably have a lot of miles before you get to the park boundary. When you hit the boundary, pay attention to the road signs & don't try to drive or ride anywhere that motorized vehicles don't obviously belong. Rangers take their jobs very seriously.

its not in park you turn west several miles befoe you get to park

I've spent a fair amount of time over there in the last 30 years and found 2 or 3 different routes from Hwy 137 to Dell City but all of them are by way of El Paso Gap. There is one road south of El Paso gap that might go thru but it's gated and locked. None of the maps are even close to accurate as to what's currently public roads and what's private, so even if you think you've found a route, being stopped by fences and locked gates are pretty common...

OK You Must be an Expert on All Things so
Believe what you want

Hounddog, the one thing I have found throughout the years on this forum is that just when I think I am very experienced on two-wheels, there are tons of folks with way more experience than I'll ever have. So instead of getting frustrated with that fact, I just try my best to learn from them.

Hounddog, the one thing I have found throughout the years on this forum is that just when I think I am very experienced on two-wheels, there are tons of folks with way more experience than I'll ever have. So instead of getting frustrated with that fact, I just try my best to learn from them.

+1
plus don't take anything personal here. You cannot gage delivery of text like you can spoken words. I've seen too many unwarranted kneejerk reactions by posts being taken wrong or reading between the lines.

If you feel the need to post something inciteful stop and drink a beer first. If you still feel like posting then drink another. If not satisifed then wait until the next morning and only then send a PM to state your mind.

_

A good tactic is simply to do some research. Call the park & ask some questions. In my experience, park personnel are unfailingly knowledgeable about their areas, and unfailingly helpful, and willing to share. A couple of calls may prove us all wrong, and you'll have the ride of your life. Or prove us right at least to some extent, and save you a long trip & maybe some legal trouble. You may also be able to find a Jeep club based out of El Paso or Carlsbad; if so, they'll have tons of information.

By the way, park rangers like to share stories about arrests of violators, and I've heard some whoppers. I was also, a few years ago, deposed over the phone and my deposition was used in a federal court as testimony against somebody who found his way around a locked gate in his Suzuki Samurai. He was merrily making his way along a trail through a clearly marked wilderness area close to Crested Butte, and leaving a path of angry hikers. The local forest rangers borrowed my SD chip and downloaded my picture of his Samurai, that included his licence plate. We just don't want you to be that guy, even inadvertently.

Go into Dog Canyon Trail takes off drops off mountain comes out 30 miles Del City

Regardless of all the back and forth so far - I do just want to say that punctuation is our friend. This is not meant to criticize, just to give a real life example of how hard it is to interpret text with no punctuation.

Is this saying:

1 - go into Dog Canyon, and then a trail goes from there and comes out 30 miles from Del City?

2 - Take a trail called Dog Canyon Trail, and it comes out 30 miles later at Del City?

3 - Go near but not into Dog Canyon, turn west onto a trail before entering the national park, and the trail goes down the mountain and comes out 30 miles from Dell City (or the trail is 30 miles long and comes out at Del City)?

I thought it was # 2, and was confused because there is no Dog Canyon Trail.

Then I thought it was #1 like apparently everybody else did, and it looked like an area that vehicles were not allowed.

Now it seems to be # 3, which is possible, but it's an awfully remote area to go to with no better landmarks to go by.

I'm still unclear on if the trail is 30 miles long or if it comes out 30 miles away from Del City? If it comes out 30 miles from Del City, then it could lead to NM 506, which would take it a completely different direction than if it comes out right next to Del City.

OK,I am guilty of Very Bad grammar
And
Since I was not on the trail myself I ishoud not of
mentioned it in the first place
It was there at one time
It may be closed now
Sorry for causing such an Uproar:giveup:

OK,I am guilty of Very Bad grammar
And
Since I was not on the trail myself I ishoud not of
mentioned it in the first place
It was there at one time
It may be closed now
Sorry for causing such an Uproar:giveup:

Nah...don't be. We're all family here. Truth is...

We have a few (OK...a bunch) of folks who live to put tracks on anything that sounds life threateningly dangerous and remote and relatively unknown. It's a condition that's contagious...I can't explain it either. Just live with it.

When someone posts up a hint...even a wisp of a hint, of something that could fit the above - there shall be an inquiry and inquisition. Can get rough... no harm meant - just unbridled curiosity.

So, can we ride this thing or not???? :trust:

Don't take it as an attack man - like RG said, we're interested, and we can't tell from your first post what you're talking about. After looking at the maps it's way too far away from me to go do it, but if I ever found myself out in that area, I'd keep it in mind. Unfortunately, I don't think I'd find it from the description given.

Don't take it as an attack man - like RG said, we're interested, and we can't tell from your first post what you're talking about. After looking at the maps it's way too far away from me to go do it, but if I ever found myself out in that area, I'd keep it in mind. Unfortunately, I don't think I'd find it from the description given.

I've heard of a Bridge to Far but a Road to Far, really? :rofl::rider:

Hey all you Doubters
Go to Weather channel.com Pull up Odessa tx
Go to weather map
Scroll over to Dog Canyon
Zoom in and you will find the Road from Dog Canyon to Del City
Now you Know
Its there just as I said
Even marked Road to Del City Just as I said
So Believe me When I tell you something

Thank you for posting the map
Now What do you have to say