• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas inspection sticker becomes obsolete

If he could have done the brake check without riding on public roads, he was right - no M endorsement required. That aside, I'm witchu - no M, no ride.

I'm even worse, if they want to ride my bike then I go to a different inspection place. It is either that, or they can observe me doing whatever they want me to do in order to prove the vehicle's safety.

Lucky for me I have a place where I can bring them a bike on a trailer and they won't even ask me to unstrap it.

I've seen it both ways. At Jiffy Lube, they ask me to ride and brake and at bike shops they ride it themselves. I'm okay either way.

At the place I go to it depends on which guy does the inspection. One has a motorcycle license and the other doesn't. The motorcycle guy will ride it out into the parking lot to check the brakes. The other guy has me do it. Like Denise I'm OK either way. If the motorcycle guy crashes it I'm going to file a claim against their insurance.

Lucky for me I have a place where I can bring them a bike on a trailer and they won't even ask me to unstrap it.
:giveup: You do know you just admitted to fraud or at least participating in same.. As well as all but daring DPS to contact you and ask you under oath which company is violating state law.

:giveup: You do know you just admitted to fraud or at least participating in same.. As well as all but daring DPS to contact you and ask you under oath which company is violating state law.

I'm thinking that as long as the state and whatever got their cut of the inspection fee, they don't even care.
It never was anywhere close to a real inspection anyway, might just as well be another annual fee.
Lights work, horn blows, tires not bald, no check engine lights on, PASSED!

Yeah sure... And I've even broken the speed limit before. I've also failed to come to complete stops before. And.... I've even been known to lane split on rare occasion. I forgot the best one, my inspection sticker on my truck has been expired for more than 4 years. Oh man, I hear the black helicopters circling my house already!:lol2:

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some non-signaled lane changes I have to go attend to.:rofl:

I'm thinking that as long as the state and whatever got their cut of the inspection fee, they don't even care.
It never was anywhere close to a real inspection anyway, might just as well be another annual fee.
Lights work, horn blows, tires not bald, no check engine lights on, PASSED!

Bingo! The TX inspection process is some giant scam to add just another fee(tax) to someone. I've seen cars on the road smoking like an old diesel, I've seen trucks with bent wheels to the point where they couldn't drive faster than 45mph or the truck would violently shake itself apart.

They are a scam, plain and simple.

What! I'm shocked to hear that someone other than me may have had some indiscretions with traffic laws over their life time.:eek2:

As I said, back in the day it was truly about safety, now its just all about revenue. I recall when tax was just 4 cents on the dollar back in the late 60s early 70s. Then it was just one more "temporary" add on to the sale tax after another to pay for this or that. All those measures were supposed to be dropped after said project was paid for or the time allowance had passed. But government just kept coming up with all sorts of extensions and other pet projects. Now the sales tax in most places it well above 8% and in some areas over 10%.

I ordered a case of oil from Amsoil the other day and they charged be 13.2%!!!! They charged some BS county tax that I've never heard of. So it ended up costing me 13 per quart, when I can get it at Autozone for 10.97 plus 9.25% tax. Thought I was getting a deal until they hit me with that extra tax.

Personally I blame all the guys who bought insurance by the mile. They made this tax possible. California is pushing this tax too but is dealing with miles driven by the vehicles out of state. Their answer - look at where you are driving.

If you have insurance by the mile, do what you have to do to get by but do know you are enabling taxing by the mile. You just can't do it without monitoring where people drive.

Re: AND THE WINNER IS: KURT

Seems like Kurt called it first.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1274578&postcount=76

So while we're getting excited about lane splitting they introduce this. Thanks to the AMA for mentioning it in their News and Notes.

Miles traveled tax HB151

m

If State gas tax was rescinded (ya right)
If the bill is amended to account for out of state use. (not planned as of now)
I have no issue with this idea. I did some rough numbers, I would pay LESS over all for all of my vehicles for miles traveled in Texas then i would under the current state gas tax or the likely increased tax amount should this plan fail.

But as we know a politician never met a current tax they did not like (and planned on keeping) we know they will want to KEEP the state gas tax and ADD tax by mile, and one can guess that nest session the gas tax hike will again be a focus .. you know because gee we have not raised that in so long.. it's just not fair...:doh:

I'm not sure it will get out of committee, but we've kicked around a lot of "what ifs" on inspection. The what if I have is "what if I don't have an odometer on my plated dirt bike?"

Ahh, nice one.. Yup not an inspect able item (yet...lol)

I'm not sure it will get out of committee, but we've kicked around a lot of "what ifs" on inspection. The what if I have is "what if I don't have an odometer on my plated dirt bike?"
It will work off the gps tracking device integrated into the Doppler smart license plate.

Still curious how they will do the green sheet when plating a bike from out of state.

Still curious how they will do the green sheet when plating a bike from out of state.

It is all part of the print out.. So no practical difference to the end user.. you get a piece of paper to take to the registration office.

This is not about the DEA, NSA or PTA stuff. Let's keep Page 3 out of this and stay on state inspections so the mods don't boot the thread into the kid's sand box.

Out of state bikes and cars are required to have an odometer statement with the title transfer.

So, this all begins in March. It seems the state is integrating a lot of technology. If you are a big brother kind of guy, license plate scanning technology will allow an LEO to validate registration, insurance and safety compliance and flag violations without need for any interaction by the LEO.

Without getting into the philosophy, and as someone who always is up to date on my registrations, insurance and safety stickers, I think the technology is pretty interesting. I can imagine eventually seeing a road map on a laptop screen with vehicle images; each having a status color (green, yellow, red) and an LEO making decisions on which one to pull over. Speed could even be integrated with inclusion of radar data.

... Fascinating ...

Last edited:
I love it, now I don't have to worry about some sticker jockey putting my sticker on crooked. The registration stickers are put on by me and they are always perfect. I can hardly wait till March to get my bike inspected, no sticker, whoopee, it's life wonderful. :trust:

John

So, this all begins in March. It seems the state is integrating a lot of technology. If you are a big brother kind of guy, license plate scanning technology will allow an LEO to validate registration, insurance and safety compliance and flag violations without need for any interaction by the LEO.

Without getting into the philosophy, and as someone who always is up to date on my registrations, insurance and safety stickers, I think the technology is pretty interesting. I can imagine eventually seeing a road map on a laptop screen with vehicle images; each having a status color (green, yellow, red) and an LEO making decisions on which one to pull over. Speed could even be integrated with inclusion of radar data.

... Fascinating ...

March?
Mine is up Feb 2015.

Received my renewal notice, due in Feb, guess that is why nothing was in there about bringing my inspection receipt, just bring insurance.

March?
Mine is up Feb 2015.

Received my renewal notice, due in Feb, guess that is why nothing was in there about bringing my inspection receipt, just bring insurance.

Yeah, it starts in March. If your registration expires with an "03" or later, you will have to have "proof of inspection" to renew your registration.

Back