• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

packing a laptop

schrec

Reaction score
I am taking a trip next week and thinking of packing my laptop with me on the bike. I am not going to be slamming it around, but can a laptop be packed on a bike for a week and survive? Are they more durable than I think, or do I need to baby it?

I do not have room for a big computer bag, so more than likely it will be in a sleeve tucked in the tour back

Good idead? Bad idea?

Should be fine. I ride back and forth to work with mine all the time. It is in a sleeve that is kept inside my Kriega US20 tail pack. No problems so far. Your experience may vary. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I transport my laptop all the time in the top case of the RT. ThrasherG took a Netbook with him on 2012 LAB2V and I carried a tablet and small keyboard in the 2013 LAB2V. A quality laptop can take it as long as you are careful.

Biggest worry for failure would be the HDD. If you plan some really rough riding might be worth it to invest in a SSD making it practically as rugged as a cell phone. They've been coming down in price and a relatively easy swap out for a laptop.

_

I dropped a roll bag with my laptop on the highway back in 2011 and it still works fine.

NSA, this post is just for you.

not all hard drives are created equal and your results will vary. no way to tell till you do it. solid state is the way to go.

this evil ban of my existence company got me a new lap top so I can do what I need to do remotely but wont let me have remote access so I don't take it with me. one of the developmentally challenged tards in the shop decided to use it to run a diagnostic on a truck instead of using the diagnostic computer 4 feet away.

well moron left it sitting there turned on till the completely inadequate battery went dead. that was enough to lock up the hard drive.

I have a Acer EEEEEEEPC mini laptop note book I take on bike trips, it was made to be mobile and is pretty tough and has a rocking battery life.

Chris, I carry mine around town all the time, albeit inside a case. But like you say, cases are bulky. My suggestion would be to throw some bubble wrap around it to damp road vibrations. And unless you have hard bags, keep it in something on top of the bike, not in a side bag. That's because even a minor parking lot tipover on a soft side bag might put enough pressure on the case to break the screen.

I carry mine daily in a backpack. I did put it in a satchel inside my hardbags when I have them on. Both ways work just fine.

I've got an EEEEEPC too, and they are perfect for a week or two on the road. 8+ hours of battery life, all ssd, so no moving parts at all. Light and the keyboard is big and feely enough to actually type on, once you get used to it)

I carry my notebook in the tour pak. If you are going for a week you'll have enough soft stuff to pack around it to minimize the shaking, boucing & vibration. What worries me is the heat inside that tour pak. Mine is black and non-ventilated.

I've put LT's in checked baggage for 15+ years with no problems. Wrap it up in some clothes and don't let it get wet. It will be fine.

Tuck it in the middle of your clothes and it will live a cushier life than normal. I've carried a laptop on most of my recent trips.

I took my old Dell laptop out for a month on the road in a Pelican case with the foam insert cut-to-fit. Worked perfectly as does the computer many years later now.

Back