• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Battle of the Bulge

Well, I have some news. A while back I posted that my new doc tried a new diabetes med that put 9 quick pounds on me. 259. I quit it. I lost 5 of 9 before I told him I had quit. He insisted my A1C required I try something else. Reluctantly, and perfectly willing to quit the new one, too, I did. WooHoo ! The 4 gone. Then 7 more matched my low at 243. Now? 234. Heck I weighed 255 when I became a diabetic 20 years ago.

Keep trying, folks.

Now. Watch me get hit by a bus. ;)

Ok, I haven't read 21 pages here so maybe this has already been mentioned. First in regard to joint friendly exercise, the original nordictrak. No motor and a glide motion. Old school but I promise it will help. Second, weight to height. Get some thickers soles to increase your height. It's a numbers game and you might be able to lose the morbid. You can find nordictraks for less than $100 on CL. If you want to try one I'll loan you a spare I have.

Ok, I haven't read 21 pages here so maybe this has already been mentioned. First in regard to joint friendly exercise, the original nordictrak. No motor and a glide motion. Old school but I promise it will help. Second, weight to height. Get some thickers soles to increase your height. It's a numbers game and you might be able to lose the morbid. You can find nordictraks for less than $100 on CL. If you want to try one I'll loan you a spare I have.

Do we really want to see Bob in 6" stilettos? :brainsnap :lol2:

Update Bob? My weight goes 5 lbs either direction. It depends on the exercise I get more than the food. I cannot eat as much as I could when I was younger. Guess it is a sign of old age.;-)

Guyz,

Watch Hungry for Change on Netflix and report back.

RB

Ill give it a look. I actually liked "The Perfect Human Diet" on Amazon...

I am still holding steady at 180-ish give or take a 5 pounds. As low as 177, as high as 188, but always back to 180-182 after a week of living healthy.

Well, I will check in. I lost the medicine induced 9 and have lost another 24! New medicine for my diabetes is helping a bunch . Invokana. Now , I have grown a third eye and my urine glows in the dark but still ...

some pseudo-science, but better to err the direction they're recommending, which is healthy, versus processed foods.

I would not call it pseudo-science, but it does a good job at attacking the established food industry.

RB

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MvAM97VDE8"]Hungry for Change[/ame]

Ill give it a look. I actually liked "The Perfect Human Diet" on Amazon...

I am still holding steady at 180-ish give or take a 5 pounds. As low as 177, as high as 188, but always back to 180-182 after a week of living healthy.

On 6/20/2013 Northstar wrote
"Weigh in today 283. Total = 26 lbs...
I am consuming between 1500 and 1900 calories per day. Lean protein, a lot of anything green, and fruit. Based on the calorie count, I only eat a fraction of the grains I used too. I have oatmeal every morning, occasional basmati/brown/wild rice but almost no bread. I have experimented with the whole wheat sandwich rounds and have not hated them.

I do cardio for 30 minutes 6 days per week and 30 min of strength training 3 times per week. It helps that my employer has an in house gym.

Anyway, I just wanted to share what has (so far) worked for me."

100lb loss in 1 year? Wow!

I'm envious of the willpower you guys have. :zen:

Yeeha! said:
Stephen;1282650 I have experimented with the whole wheat sandwich rounds and have not hated them.

Sandwich replacement was the hardest for me. You do not get to 320+ pounds without loving bread. I have found (at Kroger) La Tortilla factory brand low-carb/high fiber tortillas that only run 50 Cal each. I have also found (at wal mart of all places) Joseph's brand flax & bran flat bread that only have 60 Cal each. However, when I must have bread I opt for a slice of old-school dark rye bread. The rye had a lower GI than regular wheat bread so at least I avoid the post carb crash for the most part.

As I moved away form many "bad" carbs and almost all processed foods, I noticed grocery shopping only takes a fraction of the time. Mostly because almost everything I consume is on the perimeter of the the store. I no longer get much of anything from the isles... nothing boxed/packaged except coffee, TP and almonds :)

Sandwich replacement was the hardest for me. You do not get to 320+ pounds without loving bread... :)

How true!

Miss Vicki has been yelling at me for years to get off it.
I recently retired but until I did, I spent many a $$ on Subway sandwiches for lunch. Surely years of Subway lunches have packed it on.

Willpower is my greatest enemy right now. Eliminate bread? God I would miss my 100 mile burger runs!

I need to start with smarter grocery shopping. Thanks for the info. :clap:

BLB, there are countless success stories out there and a fair amount have posted right here. The biggest aspects that you have to realize is that that weight was not added overnight, but over a period of time. So it is going to take a period of time for it to come off. Some people will argue that they do not have the time to exercise/loose weight/change eating habits. But what the success stories here should tell you is this: you have one body, and it is your privilege to take care of it. So you should MAKE time to help it on its journey to become better again. Weight loss can be very basic:

Move your body. No need to start being a marathon runner right away, just make a point to start walking at least 30 minutes a day. Then after a few weeks of that walk for an hour, etcetc. You and the Saint will pass through some awesome locales while RVing. Explore them while walking instead of using a motorized device. Im sure Hunter would love to be your strolling buddy.

Reduce your portions. Its a matter of perception. A bigger plate means more food is piled onto it. Reduce the dish size, heck use a small bowl if it helps you reduce portions. Preparing your own meals vs eating out a lot helps with that. But quite a few establishments will accommodate smaller portions. Or share a meal with the Saint(if she lets you ;). )

Cut the grains/breads. No need to totally abstain, but your grains/breads inherently are like spunges. They dramatically increase in size once consumed. Still like tortillas and its trimmings? Use large lettuce leafs as a wrap instead of the flour kind.

Snack wisely. The popcorn with coconut oil is great. But wish to go more naturally and away from processed? Buy fruit. Lots of great fruit salad recipes out there. My particular favorite is peaches/strawberries/blackberries, a lot of goodness comes a small bowl of these. Or make a salad with spinach as main staple, and get creative with tomato, kale, avocado, etc. Point of using fruits/vegetables? They are like coals on a fire, stoking the steam engine that is your metabolic system.

Last but not least. Water. Lots of water. Helps motility aka bowels aka pooping mechanism and thus it will help expel the material we want to loose first: Fat. 80 percent of our body is water, and just a 2% variation can be detrimental in how we feel and how the body does. Btw, the fruits and veggies help with our water intake too. Cant stand drinking water all the time? Mix in a hint of lemonade or juice or whatever strikes your fancy (although watered wine is probably not recommended).

Give it time, make time, rejoice in the small successes. Realize that you will plateau at times, but thats your body saying im used to this now and therefore i need to be challenged again. Hold yourself accountable first and foremost, and let us motivate you. Let the Saint motivate you.

Hope this helps. See you in J city at the MeetnGreet!

Sandwich replacement was the hardest for me. You do not get to 320+ pounds without loving bread. I have found (at Kroger) La Tortilla factory brand low-carb/high fiber tortillas that only run 50 Cal each. I have also found (at wal mart of all places) J...

Great minds think alike! I love a big thick slice of homemade rye bread more than just about anything, but I only eat big slices of bread on special occasions.

When I feel the need for a sandwich (which is often) I use low carb/low calorie tortillas that I get at HEB to roll my own.

This is the kind of thing that really helps keep weight under control without driving me nuts.

So Bob and XBeemer (it has been a while!), how's it goin? What's your weigh in as of August?

good luck. I have been doing the paleo diet 80% i have lost 28lbs without any extra exercise and i have a co-worker that lost 75lbs. There are tons good recipes for good food. You may want to look into it.

When I started this thread way back when, I was up to 287 lbs and realized I needed to lose weight in order to enjoy life better. My goal is to get under 200 lbs.

I'm posting now to see how others did with their weight loss program and to provide an update of my situation.

At the beginning of my weight loss campaign, I was also wanting to ride the continental divide route with some friends. My wife agreed to this venture providing I lost some weight and got in better shape. I was able to lose 20 lbs and went on my adventure. While on the adventure, I crashed and managed to break 6 ribs and collapse a lung. So much for being in better health ...

Still trying to reach the goal of 200, nothing worked. I hovered around 265. For a brief time, I got under 260 but my body just seem to like the 260s. I had grown acceptance of that and felt, well at least I was no longer in the 280s

During the summer while working on my deck, I fell,off the ladder and fractured my L1 vertabra. That got repaired but I continued to have back pain. I stopped complaining to the doctors because they keep telling me that losing weight would be the best thing I could do for my back pain. So, I opened another beer and ignored their advice.

After a lot of beer, chicken fried steak and other bad eating habits by last week I noticed my weight had crept back up to 284! So, now I start thinking "I need to take some action to correct this". I open another beer and think about it.

THEN,

Saturday, I had a heart attack!

I am receiving a message loud and clear now.

Obviously, I'm hospitalized and Monday they ran a cardiac catheterization and determined that I had some major blockages which could be repaired with stints. So I undergo another procedure to implement these stints. During that procedure I arrested twice while conscious. I remember them yelling at me to breath (I don't remember not breathing) then BAM! I'm hit with a jolt. Someone is still yelling at me to breath, then a bigger BAM! When you are zapped with the juice, it feels like being hit in the chest with a sledge hammer.

I'm really really receiving a message loud and clear now.

I just got out of the hospital yesterday and it feels so good to be in my on bed without being wired to monitors or hooked up to IVs

I feel good physically, but mentally, this is a lot to deal with. This scared the crap out of me. So, my battle of the bulge begins again, but this time I am highly motivated to not have a repeat episode. Now I'm not just talking about losing weight for the quality of life, now I need to lose weight to have a life.

Back