• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tolltag fraud

I got a notice from a collection agency that I owed a sub $10 toll that had collected penalties and interest of over $200. The **** thing was only six months old and for a car we had a TXTAG on. We were in the middle of buying a house and couldn't afford to have that on the credit report so I called and they said if I paid immediately it would only be $26. I gladly paid, but it feels like extortion. It sounds like all these old toll bills are from the DFW area and not Austin.

I used the George Bush several years ago 1 time and did not get a bill. I called about it and gave them my info so they could check on it. The guy came back on the phone and said he saw were I had used it 1 time but said they usually wait till 3 or so tolls are accumulated before sending a bill. Said I probably would never get a bill if I didn't use it again. Now I wonder if it will show up?

Last year I got a bill for several sections of a toll road in East Texas I was not even aware of existing. After calling and having them take a look, they said it was actually for an out of state tag and not mine. I asked to get a revised statement showing the bill removed but never got it. I think they should provide proof of fixing a mistake since the penalty can be so high.

I tried calling 3X and was on hold from anywhere from 10-17 min. I tried calling the collection agency off the letter they sent and got put on hold for about that same time.

Msybe they are just creating duplicate tickets and dating them 2012 and 2013

:eek2:

every time my debit card wears out , I get a new one. Same account number. Here come the penalties from the Idiots because their computer can't deal with a different 3 digit number on the back of card. Every person I have dealt with at TTW is a robot and when they dismiss some of the penalties they act like they are doing you a favor, for hours on the phone, a sorry web site, and the last time I went down there I was asked to leave. I just drive because in central TX. we will own them soon, or should I say have em dumped on us taxpayers, the other reason is spite. Thinking about handlebar extensions on the bikes so I can reach the plate with my hand as I go through. call it stress management.

I don't have a tolltag and stay off roads that have tolls. Still I received a bill from NTTA on a car that I had traded in. I sent them copies of the paperwork that proved I did not own the car when the toll was incurred and they removed the charge.

The other day I received a zipcash bill from them from two years ago. I though it was another mistaken charge until I looked closer at the bill. It was for my son who is 40 years old and has not lived at my house in 15 years. How they ended up sending it to my address I have no idea. I called him and told him about it.

He was confused as he has a tolltag. When he check it out it occurred when he still had the paper tags on the car. Since the tolltag is linked to the license plate number he could not register it to the paper tag. He only went on the tollway once before he got the hard plates and the tag registered to them. Since the bill was under $5 they had never billed him for it. Seems they are now going back and sending bills for all the small accounts they have been holding for years.

They sent my son another bill to my address. This one says he owes $0.00 and could have saved $0.00 if he had a tolltag :lol2: :giveup:

New tag secured. $6. About what that zip cash invoice was. No telling how much he racked up before on my account, or would have, so I'd say it's a plus. Lady at the tax office did run a check and there's no duplicate plates registered that she could see. She said that it does happen but not very often.

Have you tried simply calling? I've called into them a few times in the past and it always seems to work in my favor. Never actually needed to fight it.

I finally called 'em. They said they looked at the photo again, and they misread the plate in the first place. The letter G was read as a C.

They wasted 20 minutes on my life, due to their mistake. (10 minutes on hold, and 10 minutes talking to them)

Send them a Bill for your time and when they don't pay put a lean against NTTA. Then when they don't pay keep adding late payment fees and when they don't pay that sue them for ownership and then fire everyone and shut down the toll roads all together. Yea!!!

I did that . Went to TTW office they said it was a mistake I didn't owe the 20 dollars. She got up to leave like she did me a favor, I said I need to talk to the head Honcho. After a few minutes a woman came out and said, may I help you Mr. Lunday. Yes you may I want 20 bucks for the gas it took to drive over, just credit my account. It went down hill from there, especially as the people behind me started getting angry, and APD was mentioned. I was right but no cash just an apology, older people can cause a bigger scene than young folks and usually get away with it. I've thrown them recently in Home Depot, and the law was called at Ikea over warranty small print on a return.

Had to dig a bit to find this old thread but have a current story to add. I live near San Antonio and we have no toll roads here that I know of.

About a month ago, I attended a wedding in the Houston area and used a toll road. Imagine my surprise to not only receive a bill for the tolls (about $6.00) but with an additional PENALTY of $20.00 because I don’t have a toll tag. There were no signs on the toll way warning me that I would be bent over and hammered for not having a toll tag.

Up to now, I have been ambivalent about toll roads. I have used them in the Austin area and even in the Raliegh/Durham area of North Carolina as a matter of convenience. It was a simple matter to know that they would mail a bill to me for the toll charges and I would pay it. Never did any of them charge me a PENALTY fee for not having a toll tag.

Anyway, a warning to one and all if you decide to use toll roads or decide that toll roads would be a good thing for the San Antonio area. Needless to say, I am no longer ambivalent about toll roads and will do my best to avoid them in the future.

Ouch! Yeah, I'd say you were well and truly "bent over and hammered." I'd call the toll authorities and cry foul. If that doesn't work, call a local TV station; they enjoy making a little hay over government nonsense like this. Even if you have to pay the $20, you'd at least get a little satisfaction over the bad publicity.

That doesn't sound right at all, SuzukiQ. I can't say for certain on the Houston roads, but all the toll roads in Texas work together, honoring each other's tags etc. And on all the ones in Dallas and Austin, you aren't penalized in the form of a fee if you don't have a tag. But there is a discount for having one. So a given toll booth might have a $1.75 fee if you don't have a tag, but a $1.45 fee if you do. They scan your plate as you pass through and then it checks against their database. If you have a tag it bills the lower rate to your tag. If it doesn't find a tag, you are mailed the bill for the higher rate. But to my knowledge there is no specific fee for NOT having one on any of the ones around here. And since the other Texas toll services have reciprocity with each other for the most part, I'd be surprised if the ones in Houston work on a totally different basis. On that note, I've used the H-Town tolls plenty and never seen anything different. No bills arrived in the mail. No excessive fees to my NTTA/Dallas Toll Tag although I admit I didn't specifically check for them. Always been pretty seamless for me to use toll roads anywhere in TX with any of my vehicles.

For some reason, the Houston area toll roads do not give you the option of just driving through if you don't have a toll tag (unlike Dallas and Austin) and you will have to pay a penalty if you do. Also, there must be some kind of controlling toll booth worker's union because there are still a lot of actual people working toll booths in Houston. I'm just guessing it may have something to do why we don't have the drive through option. They do honor the other toll tags from around the state, but you either have to have a toll tag or pull into the exact change or change made lines.

Suzie, which toll road? I ask because the toll roads I use in Houston all have ample signage or a feeder road with which to avoid the tolls (note: I don't use the Hardy Toll Road).

Suzie, which toll road? I ask because the toll roads I use in Houston all have ample signage or a feeder road with which to avoid the tolls (note: I don't use the Hardy Toll Road).

I would assume it's 99 grand parkway. I received a bill from them on a bike. Every toll gets a fee. I have a ez tag and after calling New Jersey it was taken care of.

Last edited:
Back