• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Portable Tire Pumps

drfood

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
Gerdes
We are looking for a good quality PORTABLE tire pump system to take on road trips. Currently we have 2 of the Slime Tire Top Off inflators. Piece of crap. I struggled trying to get 4 lb of pressure into my tires one morning. After running the system for 15 minutes the system had not put a single ounce of air into the tire. :giveup:

There has to be a better solution for an inflator to take on road trips that doesn't take up too much room or weigh too much.

Any suggestions?

I have one of the slime pumps on the FZ. Used it several times with no issues.

When I bought the Tenere, there wasn't room under the seat for the Slime pump. Found this thread on advrider and bought one. Fits under the seat, barely and only after I took out all the unnecessary power leads. Haven't had the "opportunity" to use it yet, so....

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...ator-with-adv-discount-available-now.1148145/

I always buy one for a car, pull the pump, hose an hookup wire out and toss the rest, very compact after that. I decided to splurge once and bought a slime pump and carried it on my DR. Worked like a charm first time I needed it... Not so much the next time, reed valve cracked and it wouldn't blow up a ballon. Tossed it in the trash and went back to plan A.

I bought the Cyclepump from BestRest Products. I know there are cheaper alternatives out there but I got it for the perception of buying my last tire pump. Then I bought another one for the other bike. :lol2:

We are looking for a good quality PORTABLE tire pump system to take on road trips. Currently we have 2 of the Slime Tire Top Off inflators. Piece of crap. I struggled trying to get 4 lb of pressure into my tires one morning. After running the system for 15 minutes the system had not put a single ounce of air into the tire. :giveup:

There has to be a better solution for an inflator to take on road trips that doesn't take up too much room or weigh too much.

Any suggestions?

Those little Slime Top Off pumps don't have enough capacity. They have to run forever to inflate a flat tire. They are really only good to do what their name implies, top off a tire that is a little low. I've got one laying on the shelf in my shop. Don't even bother to carry it anymore.

I bought a larger Slime Smart Spair pump for each of my bikes. Have used them a number of times to do on the road tire repairs on my bikes and other riders bikes. Work very well. Of course with the storage space on my Burgmans carrying a larger pump is no big deal.

After reading this thread, I used my $20 Slime pump to air my bike's tires. Air pressure rises at about the rate of 1 lb per 3 seconds. Maybe you just got a lemon. Other ways to get a lot of pressure quickly into a tire are to carry those little compressed air canisters, or to carry a can of Fix-a-Flat. I've used a large can to air the VStrom's front tire to over 25 psi - the disadvantage, of course, being the gunky stuff that'll be left inside your tire.

I've been using one of these for a few years now. Riding with it off road on the Strom has beat the little rubber feet off of it and I've had to put a new 12v plug end on after it got crunched (probably too much jumping the fat pig), but it still chugs along and can really put out some air. I've seated beads with it before, when doing a parking lot tire change. Not ideal but it got the job done with some finagling.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12v-100-psi-high-volume-air-compressor-61788.html

Not the most compact thing in the world (but really not much larger than other options) and the tire plugs and plug tools fit right into the bag with the compressor. Airing down for trails then airing back up became a non issue after getting this. I could be aired back up and on the road in less than 10 minutes. It's a fast inflating pump.

Another Fan of the Cycle Pump. I bought my pump,guage and tire repair kit separately so it was more expensive than this kit with everything......http://www.stopngo.com/tire-mobility-kit-for-cars/

29859640895_a1b5f9f785_h.jpg
P1010524 by weljo2001, on Flickr

17647818065_a283707262_h.jpg
Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

17621464366_f9a422200c_h.jpg
Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

Last edited:
I have a couple of slime pumps, they are all more than 5 years old and work great, have used them multiple times to air up my CRF's after fixing punctures, compact and reliable in my experience. They have been bounced over 1000's of miles of dirt on TAT, CDR, BRDCO, BRDWA, LA2vegas, etc and still work great, I highly recommend them.

Gary

Last edited:
I'm thinking lemon also. I've carry a Slime pump on the RT, but it sees most use on the slow leak on the Jaguar. It takes a long time to air up that big tire, but it always gets it done. Works on the higher pressures on the RT as well. Frankly it has worked longer than I expected it to. For the Challenge and KTM I'm using CO2 cartridges from the bicycle store.

Back