• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Differences and advice between honda ST model Tourers

Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Guys, I know we have a big community and all kinds of different riders. I myself have sport bikes, DS bikes, and a Vstrom (whatever category that fits into) but recently I went on a big tour to Canada. I took the Vstrom, and it did OK, but being a DL1000 it didn't pass many gas stations without wanting to take a splash of gas at each one. While in Canada I met up with a buddy that was on a ST1300 and here I am a few months later considering what a great touring bike that might be, without the absolute hogzilla approach of going with a full bore Tourer (like a GL, Goldwing, or other similar couch on wheels).

Can anyone who has owned an ST1100 and an ST1300 talk to me about the differences between the two and advise me which would be the better of the two if I were looking in that pool and if there is a reason I should just ignore the 100's and look only at the 1300's. I'm definitely not looking to buy new, and I am not a slave to the bigger is better approach, but I am keen on getting the best bike for my money and the fewer mods I have to make to perfect it the better. I went with the bigger CC's with the Vstrom and have remorse over the mpg's I am missing out on compared to the DL650, probably not the aspect of pleasure to wrist twisting though, lol.

Thanks for any intelligence anyone can offer.

Well, so far, I've put about 600 or so miles on mine. I have a 2006 ST1300 non abs model. It really likes 85 mph. Me, not so much. I wrecked my Harley last October and once again proving I married up, the much better half let me buy this one from a member here. 40 plus mph as long as I don't really twist the wrist. 7.5 gallon gas tank goes a long way. There are new ones out there in some Honda dealerships but you really need to look. Cycletrader is your friend with that search. So far I'm still getting used to riding it. It is NOT my Harley. There are a few folks here with ST's who rack up some serious mileage with theirs. Both the 1100 and 1300 have their quirks but there are fixes for most everything. Seats come to mind first.
Another good forum for ST info is
http://www.st-owners.com/forums/forum.php

Good luck.

Last edited:
I think seats are always first to get adjustments.... I'm prone to being a fatso with a sensitive tailbone, lol... That nice big gas tank is one thing that has appealed to me, that and the great mpg's. The seem to handle really well for their size, but that is an external observation, considering I have not gotten a chance to ride one yet.

I know I'd like to definitely see about getting one with ABS. I think I might look into some stealerships for some hardly used models and see if they will offer me anything worthwhile on the DL1000.. It's a 2002 with about 64K on it so it's seen some miles but I think I am just liking the idea of that bigger windscreen

Thanks for the feedback Jeff.

You also might want to look at a used maybe 2010 or newer FJR. Great bikes with very little maint. required. Gas and Go. Large fuel cell 6.6 (?) and if your hand can stay out of the throttle you will get great fuel milage. Look at

http://www.fjrforums.com

Rexford

Another reason to consider the FJR is tire selection. Using a more common size rear wheel, the FJR will have many more options. The ST1300 has a reputation of being sensitive to tire selection as well, in terms of handling.

I really like the V-4 layout, and wish they'd reintroduce the bike (in sport touring form) with a few refinements.

Having owned both the 1100 and 1300, they both had their pluses and minuses. For me, the biggest plus for the 1100 was that the bags were more squared off. Much easier to get bigger bags in and allow for laptops. The 1300s more areo bags definitely can't fit the laptop and the work around for the shape is to just use a few smaller bags than a larger one. I was able to pick up a Honda top box for the non-US 1300 Pan European. Exact color match and I liked the look better than all of the aftermarket ones available. That takes whatever the bags can't hold and still keeps things locked up. The negative side of the 1300 is the battery, which costs a fortune and I agree with the sensitivity to tires as previously mentioned. I settled on the Michelin Pilot Road. The 1300 just fits me better. The electric windscreen is a big plus too.

Never owned a 1300 but I enjoy my 1100 smooth and comfortable with the Russell Day Long Seat

Had a '97 ST1100 and '06 ST1300 - liked both of them. I'd go with the ST1300 since it is fuel injected and has the electronic windshield. Stock seat on either one sucks. Both are very reliable but getting long in the tooth.
I've since had a couple of FJR's (last being a 2014) and enjoyed the further refinement that Yamaha has done to their product.

Last edited:
I was looking at a ST1300 at one time, the owner would not allow a test ride. Bought an FJR instead, never regretted it.

I'd also say that if your coming from sport bikes the FJR or C14 might be a good fit for you. Decent fuel mileage going (40ish) but also still a little sporty once you arrive at the twisties.:rider: I've owned both and enjoyed each of them. 100k miles on either of these is just getting broke in good, lots to choose from in the used market.

Let's see, I haven't yet talked anyone into an FJR this week. :D

Won't be going the FJR route most likely. I'd have the FZ-07 and the FJ-09 but aside from those I'm kind of a Honda guy (except for the Vstrom and DR650)...

Wait, maybe I am not a honda guy.... I think I am just a Hawk guy, lol...

I just saw another one on CL last week and offered him the mint DR650 for the Hawk. Never heard back from him :(

You are an FJR guy, you just don't know it yet. ;) Once you allow yourself to own one, you will be one.

You are definitely a Hawk guy though, can't deny that.

I think I'm open minded enough to admit I am always up for a good deal on a good bike.

I had a friends ST1100 for a summer. That was back in my sportbike days. Loved that thing from the start. I got smitten by the ST1300 but they were out of my price range when they first came out. I got talked into an FZ1 and haven't looked back at sport bikes for my primary transportation since. When I wrecked my FZ1 I almost got talked into an FJR but was smitten by another FZ1 and went that way. After a good session of chasing a well ridden FJR in Arkansas while on my FZ1 I then talked myself into an FJR. I don't regret it one little bit.

That said, the FJR, C14 and ST are all great bikes. The ST is long overdue for an overhaul by Honda, and the FJR is easier to work on than the C14 so the FJR fits in there just nicely. Certainly worth a look, definitely worth a test ride.

FJR is sportier and more nimble feeling. The ST eats miles (heard it called a cruise missile) but still changes directions well and will drag a peg before you know it. FJR motor is powerful but can't compare to the tractor torque of the V4 and the smoothness...oh the smoothness. Biggest surprise on the ST... when I rolled on the throttle hard coming out of a slow corner and carried the prettiest power wheelie I never expected! I rode both years back, my wife currently has an 05 ST1300, but I went with the VFR800 back in 08 as I wanted something lighter.

Last edited:
Had an '05 ABS model and took it on long trips, Colorado, Big Bend. Don't have experience with the ST1100 but I loved the smooth delivery and comfort of the ST1300. And superbly reliable - that V4 engine is really sweet.

My only issue with it, and that's the reason I sold it, was weight. The ST1300, like any other big sport tourer, is going to be quite heavy. You don't feel the weight on the open road, or even on tight Colorado two lane roads. But when you need to move the bike around, garage, parking lot, or gravel, you feel its weight. That's what you pay for power and comfort. I moved to a Tiger 1050 which gives me significantly less weight while still capable of taking me anywhere on pavement.

Last edited:
I bought a new ST1300 in 2005. 12 years and 123K miles later it is still my preferred bike for high mileage days.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Had my '04 ST1300 for about 10 years. Really loved the bike. My wife and I loaded down would tax the rear suspension so I installed and aftermarket rear shock. Like texxter said just moving it around in the garage was tough but on the road it goes away. One son had and older FJR and other son and I have C-14's [Trippin' Connies] but to me the ST was more comfortable on the highway.

I'm a couple months into a 1985 VF700 Sabre - V4. Those who say the Honda V4 is smooth, AMEN!

Can't say enough good things about my ST1300, super comfortable, all the power you could reasonably want, and lots of luggage room. might need to make some adjustments to venting but it's just so smooth to eat up roads with.

Back