• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bike Recommendations

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
It is time for my nephew to move up from the XR70. He is 12 years old about 5'2' and a pretty good rider. Will be riding some track and trails. Maintenance and reliability will be concerns since he lives too far away for me to do much work on the bike. Some of his friends are riding a YZ 85 and 125's. Any thoughts?

I moved my son to a CRF150f, this is trail version not the race version (CRF150R). We have been trail riding with some others who are on the 2-stroke 85's and he keeps up just fine. The suspension is not what the 85’s have so on a MX track the 85’s have an advantage, his bike does have a better rear shock than the OEM one. This is your typical Honda trail bike ride, ride, ride, ride change oil clean the air filter…..

The 85’s are a different breed of bike not bad but need to be looked after a little more. Top end maintenance depending on how it’s ridden, if you let it go to long the cylinder may need a relining. These bikes are water cooled and you need to maintain some minimum speed for cooling . The power and suspension are great but can be overwhelming if just learning to use the clutch. The KX and RM have power valves are more linier in power delivery than the YZ, CR, or KTM. Pre-Mix is just one more fluid to have on hand.

If I had the money I would have one of each on hand but I don’t so the CRF150F fills the spot for us.

Here is an example of a bike I think fits perfect, once again if I had the money you would not be viewing this ad. I would love to have this to chase my son on. It is a bit high on price but nice.
http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/4542058958.html

To interject something different I'll nominate: TW200, XT250 and DR200S as potential suspects for someone who's a "pretty good rider" needing to upgrade and have something that will be a longer term solution than a xx100/xx125 anything.

I am leaning towards the Yamaha TTR125 and Honda CRF150F.

They do offer price and weight advantage over the 3 I suggested although not huge amounts and with similar seat heights any of them would likely be good suspects. The question is how long until the next one is outgrown and needs upgrading.

They do offer price and weight advantage over the 3 I suggested although not huge amounts and with similar seat heights any of them would likely be good suspects. The question is how long until the next one is outgrown and needs upgrading.

Those are dual sport street legal bikes you are mentioning. I have a fair bit of knowledge of those and believe they are not real good choices when compared to a trail or MX bike. But thanks for the idea. Hopefully Yamaha will have a WR450R available when he is 16!!!

That was the two I picked from. The CRF150F has a full frame and the TTR uses the engine as a member of the frame. I felt the CRF frame would hold up better to the bashing that a 12yo can put out. The CRF150F made a change in 06, the motor was redesigned and had electric start the early ones had kick. The starter is not the only change and there is not a lot of parts interchanging on the engine. I think either one make a great bike for a kid that age.

I recommend avoiding any two stroke options, unless he just wants to ride MX and someone can afford the maintenance. My 12yo son is also a pretty good rider with a YZ85 which he loves on the track, but he rarely goes with me on any "interesting" trails because the power band makes it harder to control, and risky on uneven hill climbs.

I have a 2000 TTR225 and love it for trails. I'm sure the 125 or the Honda 150 you mentioned would be great options and can go on the track too. They're not the best for MX racing, of course.

It is time for my nephew to move up from the XR70. He is 12 years old about 5'2' and a pretty good rider. Will be riding some track and trails. Maintenance and reliability will be concerns since he lives too far away for me to do much work on the bike. Some of his friends are riding a YZ 85 and 125's. Any thoughts?

Get him a KX100 and watch him kick all his friends' butt. Has enough torque to trail ride. Not ideal. But it's very good, force one to learn clutch control. Don't want him to get into habit of lazy on 4-strokes.

My 11 year old daughter rides a ttr 125 she is 5'2" and 95 pounds and reaches the ground just fine. Plenty of power unless you want him pulling wheelies inadvertently which still happens occasionally. It's not a race setup by any means but I love riding them also. The same daughter rides my tw200 easily as well although it's a little heavy if she drops it. She could easily ride another model 200 as long as the seat wasn't too much higher. We have the smaller wheel model and the big wheel model and she transitions well to both. We rode the entire bolivar peninsula between rollover pass and the ferry this weekend and she passed her sand exam with flying colors even taking a little sand nap after I braked hard in front of her. Good luck with whatever you get!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like he will be getting a YZ 85. Had to put it off for a while, broke his leg riding a long board. He has ridden a friends and seems to be comfortable with the bike. His friends have motocross bikes and all they do is ride at a track. Now I guess I need to get a pure dirt bike. Those little kids are fast on those little bikes.

Back