• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

COBDR & MOAB 7-22 Sep 2017

F-Ride

Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Planning a trip to MOAB; Base camp and day rides. Nothing too difficult, but White Rim is a must! Looking for ride partner(s). I will be taking Sparky the mighty WR250R :rider:

Re: MOAB 7-22 Sep 2017

Nothing too difficult, but White Rim is a must!

I couldn't agree more. I understand a permit is required now.
https://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/dayusepermits.htm

DSC03396.jpg

In some sections it wouldn't be hard to blow a corner and ruin your day...

DSC03363.jpg

In some sections it wouldn't be hard to blow a corner and ruin your day...

:tab Oh yeah! If you are riding counter clockwise (the best way), there is that one nasty corner that could have you plummeting alllllllll the way down to the bottom :eek2: It is definitely an area where you want to ride smart and not be goofing off because the penalties for screwing up can be pretty severe and help would be a LONG TIME coming...

:tab I say riding it counter clockwise is the best way because of the deep sand/silt on the NW portion of the route near the Green River. It is MUCH better to hit this early while you are fresh than to hit it at the end of the day when you are already tired. This section is only a few miles long, but it is pretty challenging if you are on any kind of bigger adventure bike and aren't a proficient sand/silt rider.

:tab Gas is also an issue. Gas is available in Moab, but it is around a 150 mile loop out and back. I would want a bike that I KNOW can go 200 miles on a tank (or carry extra).

:tab Take plenty of water and I would take food as well. If something happens to a bike, you could find yourself out there for a while waiting for help, possibly even overnight. You will also want to carry the tools/tubes, etc,... to take care of flats. On the plus side, there were an amazing number of really nice restrooms out there!

Here are a few shots from the trip Rsquared and I did in 2015 before you had to have a permit to ride the road.

Rsquared dropping down into the Green River valley on Mineral Canyon Rd.
Utah_0331.jpg

Rsquared in the easy part of the sand/silt
Utah_0359.jpg

The climb back up to the to of the rim from the river valley gets steep and a little rocky in some places
Utah_0364.jpg

The road climbs and descends along the edge of the rim in many places
Utah_0369-pano.jpg

There are a LOT of places like this where you can ride/stand as close to the edge as you dare...
Utah_0380.jpg

That is Rsquared providing a bit of scale... which is REALLY needed out here because everything is so freaking BIG!
Utah_0384.jpg

The road is incredibly twisty as it follows the terrain!
Utah_0395.jpg

There is Rsquared providing scale again... long way down... :zen:
Utah_0424.jpg

This road scales the face of the cliff in the distance and is quite narrow
Utah_0427.jpg

and here it is shown so you can see where it goes
Utah_0427-2.jpg

There's Rsquared doing his thing again...
Utah_0431.jpg

Utah_0437.jpg

The view from the top, not far from the Island in the Sky park headquarters
Utah_0439.jpg

On the way back down after a MUCH needed break. Where's Rsquared?!
Utah_0441.jpg

(hint: look just at the right edge of the green stuff after the first upper switchback on the left side of the image!)

Here he is approaching the next switchback
Utah_0442.jpg

A nice SUV for some scale
Utah_0445.jpg

:tab White Rim is a definite must do, but I don't know how much trouble it is to get a permit to ride it now. In theory, they implemented the permit system to prevent over crowding of the road. The reality is that this is nonsense. We were out there during prime season and hardly saw anyone out there. There were some mountain bike riders and maybe five other vehicles in the entire 100+ miles of the road. It smacks more of the continued nationwide effort to basically curtail use of the national forest lands.

:tab Lockhart Basin Rd., is also a great ride. It has a few pretty technical sections where I would not want to be on anything bigger than something like a KLR 650. I wouldn't even consider trying to do it on my 1200 GS. Most of it is not bad, but those sections that are would be seriously difficult on a big bike, especially if the rider is not very experienced.

A lot of it is basically like this
Utah_0174.jpg

Some is like this, still not too bad even for the big bikes
Utah_0187.jpg

Then you start getting into ledges on the North end...
Utah_0198.jpg

Doesn't look so bad from the top...
Utah_0208.jpg

Look at his front wheel...
Utah_0210.jpg

A better view from below...
Utah_0212.jpg

Then not too bad for a bit...
Utah_0216.jpg

Gets a little rougher again
Utah_0217.jpg

Then the really nasty bits start
Utah_0218-2.jpg

BIG rocks and sand
Utah_0220-2.jpg

Utah_0221.jpg

Gotta pick good lines through here
Utah_0225.jpg

Then it turns to deep sand near the end
Utah_0229.jpg

Once it turns to the East and starts heading toward Moab, it is nice and easy. A lot of folks ride out from Moab to the start of the hard part then turn around. I think it is easier to run South to North because you are going down most of the harder stuff. But, some folks find it easier to go up the rough stuff than down it. To each his own I guess.

:tab Dang... now I want to go back! :doh:

This is my next trip. Next year hopefully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! I have to do this! Not sure if I can go this year, as I had bypass surgery last week, and the Doc says not to ride for two to three months.

I so need a bike to do this with and then want to go. One day...

Great pictures guys, I hope to get there in the future too.

I will go close next month but folks say mid July could be a bit of a roasting.

It would be a great place to break in my new Husky FE450 though

Thanks for all the info riders. I will be sorting through it and making a plan soon. Tenative routes are:
White Rim Trail (Potash Rd)
Onion creek
Practice loop on slickrock

To those who want to do this next year, I am reminded of a saying Warren Miller puts in most of his ski movies "If you don't do it this year, you will be another year older when you do!"

Meanwhile prep continues with an unexpected trip to Meredith, CO. My wife has opened the General Store. The store is 2.8 miles from the COBDR! I took Sparky and made a short 25mi ride to the top of Hagerman Pass.

323c52802f2f54489be4731b7746148d.jpg

8bd5f2382b5bb08b29018dda224157e2.jpg

So now I am considering a few sections of the COBDR the week after MOAB.

F-Ride, what dates are going? September 7 through September 22, 2017?
I'm looking for any excuse to get back to Moab! I'll be working these dates but the week after sounds nice!

Meanwhile prep continues with an unexpected trip to Meredith, CO. My wife has opened the General Store. The store is 2.8 miles from the COBDR! I took Sparky and made a short 25mi ride to the top of Hagerman Pass.

That's really cool! I hope she can make a go of it!!

F-Ride, what dates are going? September 7 through September 22, 2017?

Yes, those are the dates. Plan to arrive in MOAB on 9, Sep. Probably stay until the 15th before going to Meredith, CO.

Time off approved! New D606 on rear. Tool kit almost complete & considering making First-Aid kit. I may have a line on a trailer as well :zen:

Don't stop with the slickrock practice loop, the whole thing is great once you learn to trust your tires. Do Hells Revenge also since you are next door,it is fun. Fins and things is a little tougher because of the sand traps and is harder to follow. Make sure you have a rimlock or tubeliss in the rear so you can air down, it makes the sand pits easier. Long Canyon road was fun when I was there, but I here it has eroded a lot near the top lately. I rode out there for a week and did't see everything, there are a lot that I don't remember off the top of my head. White rim was great, bring gas, don't count on your gas mileage being the same as here, you will be in low gears a lot. I rode a Pirelli MT43 at about 8 psi and never had traction issues. Rode with some KLRs on white rim who insisted their bald knobbies were fine, but the were taking dirt naps at every sandy spot on the road.

Working on gps tracks and general routing for both MOAB and COBDR. Will base camp in MOAB and ride day loops for about 4 days. White Rim, Onion Creek, Slick Rock, Spring Canyon. Then to my second home in Meredith, CO. Where the General store is getting notice:
http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/176322

From there I plan on 2 sections of the COBDR, followed by the Alpine Loop, and some 1/2 day slab returning to Meredith. Should be 4 days worth. Quick dry/empty fit of Mosko Moto R80 for use on COBDR and camping off the bike.

88360f4b8d8b6164c01d1e47af0ff201.jpg

Hope the engine guard is reinstalled before the trip!

Hope the engine guard is reinstalled before the trip!

Good eye; Yes, it is getting a coat of bed-liner paint on the topside to help deaden engine noise. Will be installed after oil change.

Good eye; Yes, it is getting a coat of bed-liner paint on the topside to help deaden engine noise. Will be installed after oil change.
Awesome! :thumb:

Permit is required for White Rim. We were in Moab this past May and didn't know of the permit requirement. In past trips it wasn't required. We rode in twice, first time one of the bikes in our group was having some mechanical issues so didnt venture in too far. Make note of any signs when you get on the trail from Potash Rd. When you hit White Rim intersection we luckily noticed a sign saying the trail was impassible about 70 miles in due to flooding. Most of us would have run out of gas had we not noticed the sign.

On our way out the second time we rode it we came up on a park ranger who asked if we had picked up permits. We told him no that we didn't know it was a requirement. He said no problem and wrote them all out for us on the trail. He said they are limiting permits to 50 per day. We saw a group of mountain bikes out there of maybe 20 ish folks and a couple of trucks.

I know September is a pretty popular month for mountain bikers to go to Moab so may or may not be an issue.

Have fun, Moab is awesome.

Changed itinerary; I will start in Meredith, CO on the 11 Sep 2017. Riding the COBDR sections 4, & 3, (North to South) then Alpine Loop, returning to Meredith Via Blue Mesa Resevoir & slab.

Then off to MOAB; I will be there 17-21 Sep 2017.

Despite my attempts to find a ride partner or group to join, I may complete this adventure solo... :loco:

Adding First Aid Kit to my adventure load-out. All contents fit into the Tusk fender bag @ 1.3 lbs. Tubes are located lower in side bags.

518cef751911f9f818e59c0ff9a4a682.jpg

Working on gps tracks and general routing for both MOAB and COBDR. Will base camp in MOAB and ride day loops for about 4 days. White Rim, Onion Creek, Slick Rock, Spring Canyon. Then to my second home in Meredith, CO. Where the General store is getting notice:
http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/176322

Sounds like a great ride, be safe. Fantastic article about the store!

Adding First Aid Kit to my adventure load-out. All contents fit into the Tusk fender bag @ 1.3 lbs. Tubes are located lower in side bags.

518cef751911f9f818e59c0ff9a4a682.jpg

Sam splint is smart

Got it all mounted up today, including slightly notching the fender for the grab tabs. Hope I never have to use it.

eee089f87363503b65012eda6f0d1d6f.jpg

Sparky is getting anxious.

86859e4a32d16ac280b82e6bfced27cd.jpg

Back