• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Africa Twin thread

Picked my up a week ago.

1400 miles in 4 days

The seat got good reviews but IMHO is overrated.

The windscreen is to short for my 5' 10" frame with a street helmet.

The motor is smoother than I expected but then again it is a Honda.

Ordered bar risers and some tools for the bike as mine came with a screwdriver and
and fuse puller.

With a bit of creativity you can store some small things under each seat.

JB weld, quickputty, etc.

I installed a givi clone trunk for now.

Whitney%20dam.jpg

engine protection and luggage upgrades planned.

Those plastic radiator screens look pretty flimsy.

I felt the same on the seat and screen.

The pegs do seem visually a bit small like something you would see on an XL80.

After a couple days I was used to them for street riding.

Once I venture onto gravel and slicker surfaces, my percentage of
"standing on the pegs" time will dramatically increase.

Longer pegs would allow me to stand on the balls of my feet without my
right foot being pigeon-toed due to the exhaust guard.

I have to admit the right side is a bit awkward. I am the type that likes to hug the frame with my feet and legs, but the plastic heat shield on the right lower side is covering the catalytic converter and it does cause me to be pigeon-toed. Maybe worth trying something new :)

I've got a size 13 foot and the wider peg offers more support for me. I put IMS pegs on most my dirt only bikes as they seemed to offer more control, especially in awkward/on the edge of out-of-control moments. I really wish there was an easy way to lower the Black Dog pegs a bit for long road stretches without sacrificing weigh support. And yeah, that stock seat gets pretty hard after an hour. I saw Seat Concepts offers an option on CRF's only.

I just don't understand the need for large pegs?

I don't too much care about the width of the peg, but the height of the peg. I'm kind of long legged and most bikes I've been on (not too many) don't seem to be made for tall Americans. Even with the AT, when I'm standing it feels like the DR650 when I first go it. It feels like I'm standing and leaning over the bars.

I know in MX you squat with you legs, but that's a racing position not a riding position. On the DR I used a 1in drop peg and 1.5 in taller bar. That made standing on the pegs so much more comfortable. It felt more secure too.

So when I do buy new pegs, it will be a drop peg.

Picked up the Hepco & Becker handguards (http://www.accessoryinternational.com/product/hepco-becker-4212-994-00-01-handlebar-protection.html) and installed them. I had some 20mm bar risers already on the bike, but the handguards bolt on using the bar clamp bolts and the the ones that come with the handguards are for the stock height (M8x50). I ordered up a box of M8x70 and they should be in by next week. If anyone decides to use these handguards with a 20mm (about 1 inch) riser, let me know and I'll send you 4 bolts. I should have 5 sets leftover after I use the ones I need.

I ordered mine a week ago, supposed to show up in a day or so.

Hello folks,

Picking up my AT (DCT) next week; I've been wanting one for at least a year now :rider:

I had ordered D606s for the CRF250L its replacing and wondering if you can comment on my thoughts below regarding mounting these tires on the AT - I am signed up for the Bill Dragoo class in April and need something better than stock.

Tires in question are 90/90-21 and 130/90-18

A bit of a stretch but seems doable:

- Speed Rating: not an issue, rated at 106 mph VS 130 on the stock
- Weight Rating: not an issue, 716 lbs. for rear VS 739 for stock, front is the same as stock
- Rear Tire Size: A bit taller and skinnier: See Tire Calculator screen capture
- Wheel Size: not inline with Dunlop reccomendations of 1.60 Front (have 2.15) and 3.00 Rear (have 4.00)

BTW, has anyone purchased an extra set of wheels for quick changeovers?

Attachments

• Tires.jpg
    Tires.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
I can’t really reply more right now but I will later tonight please please please please as a fellow 80 owner do not put the 606s on your new baby

TKC 80 upfront is awesome and a height now or K 60 on the back is a good compromise

For more Street in less dirt I really like the Perelli scorpion‘s they worked phenomenal on the twin and actually rode the hill country 500 in the rain on the Perelli‘s and they did OK but it was a little scary sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback Mike!

I am a big fan of Michelin tires and like the Anakee Wild, but it looks like they are tubeless type only.

Just installed the Camel ADV Windshield brace https://camel-adv.com/collections/honda/products/africa-twin-windscreen-brace. It seems really sturdy. Will hopefully prevent the dreaded failure of the OEM windshield support and give me a good location to mount the GPS. :sun:

Looking for advice on replacing the air cleaners for my AT. Are the K&N style filters https://www.knfilters.com/air_filter/2016/honda/crf1000l_africa_twin/998 the way to go or should I stick with regular OEM cleaners? :confused:

Hi Cody:

K&N threads are like oil threads. May people love them and many hate them.

I have used K&N's in Street of bikes for 100's of thousands of miles with out prematurely wearing out an engine. Others will say you will wear out an engine fast using them in the wrong conditions.

If I knew I was going be riding in lots of dust, I would be tempted to use the stock filter. On the other hand, I have had one in my S10 since day one and haven't killed it yet. YMMV

Rich

Last edited:
For all the new AT owners one extra part to consider having in stock are the little rubber grommets that hold the windscreen to the fairing bracket. The two lower ones are super easy to push inside into the front fairing, thus are lost until you disassemble the entire front end. I just pop a spare in till I do maintenance and retrieve the little bast@#$[/QUOTE]

YUP , WHAT HE SAID ABOUT THE WINDSHIELD GROMMETS. I DID THAT AND HAD TO TAKE THE THING APART AGAIN TO FIND IT.

Hi Cody:

K&N threads are like oil threads. May people love them and many hate them.

I have used K&N's in Street of bikes for 100's of thousands of miles with out prematurely wearing out an engine. Others will say you will wear out an engine fast using them in the wrong conditions.

If I knew I was going be riding in lots of dust, I would be tempted to use the stock filter. On the other hand, I have had one in my S10 since day one and haven't killed it yet. YMMV

Rich

Thanks Rich - I was wondering if I was opening a can of worms or not. I sort of had the same inclination regarding the dust issue and the stock filters. I’ll do some more research on TWT and advrider. I’ll wait to change them till we get back from Big Bend.

Last edited:
Thanks Rich - I was wondering if I was opening a can of worms or not. I sort of had the same inclination regarding the dust issue and the stock filters. I’ll do some more research on TWT and advrider. I’ll wait to change them till we get back from Big Bend.
My experiences are similar to Rich's....
Been running K&N air filters since 03-04 in the Stroms (& the FJR too)
My good luck with em may not mean quite 2 much (pun) since most of my ridin is on pavement... albeit ..some of which is questionable pavement.... But still.... An FJR with 36k over 3 yrs...3 DL1000s...1 with 23k... other 2 not much (reverse pun)... 2 DL650s with 85k each.... 1 with 35k....the last still counting... & now 2 Teneres... 1 with 22k... the other still counting

Yes...Ive had good results with K&Ns

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

I've used K&N's on a couple of XR's and they seemed to work just fine. The good thing about the XR's were the filters were easy to get to and service regularly. I was thinking of going with the Twin Air filters like the ones used in the YouTube video below when I change the ones in the AT.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4pG6yT4jgo"]Honda Africa Twin ~ How to Replace the Air Filters ~ Twin Air CRFs Only - YouTube[/ame]

Looks like I am in the AT club now, picked up a 2016 well farkled DCT Friday. Added bar risers (motorcycle adventure gear.com) and my Scott’s steering stabilizer and a madstad this weekend.

Givi tracker outback racks should be here tomorrow. I also have the mosko moto bags for off-road exploring and camping.

I also ordered the Camel ADV windshield brace, grip puppies and the oxford grip heaters.

ce5f559f43347f60121a5d68008a1607.jpg

34e847d5f6442c6343ae2b9c8950ae83.jpg

1e89c7949a69c2b7dc4d1c61cdd63cd3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Looks like I am in the AT club now, picked up a 2016 well farkled DCT Friday. Added bar risers (motorcycle adventure gear.com) and my Scott’s steering stabilizer and a madstad this weekend.

Givi tracker outback racks should be here tomorrow. I also have the mosko moto bags for off-road exploring and camping.

I also ordered the Camel ADV windshield brace, grip puppies and the oxford grip heaters.

Congratulations on the new ride!

What tires are on it? Thread design looks really good!

Got the Camel ADV windshield brace installed. Looks good.
4f91a7bf9276f1522ba247ffa0b9d2bf.jpg

FYI ... Camel is backlogged on the windshield brace and are expecting more in on 4/1. If you order now, they are giving a $20 discount.

I must. Have got the last one, coming tomorrow. I also ordered the right foot peg brace kit.

I must. Have got the last one, coming tomorrow. I also ordered the right foot peg brace kit.

I saw that foot peg brace and was all ready to pull the trigger until I read it won't work with the Black Dog foot pegs I've already installed. Guess I'm going to have to find another option or change foot pegs.

Looks like you all are having fun adjusting your twins. Just wanted to add my $0.02 worth to the air cleaner portion of the thread. In the old days I would have instantly switched with K&N or Twin-Air foam, but after years of running the tractor and other various farm equipment and living through the hard core dust with engines running hard for hours and hours at a time in these conditions I became impressed at how well the factory paper filters flowed and trapped massive amounts of dust.

Most farm / industrial equipment have a paper outer filter and some type of foam inner filter. I replace the paper filter every year, but the foam inner can go a couple of years without replacing. Getting to the filters is super easy and you can see the air intake to check for any dust getting past the filters and I can say nothing gets past. I am really impressed.

Cleaning is super easy too, just pull off the paper filter every 10 to 20 hours or so and wack it against the rear tire knocking off dust, slide it back in and you are good to go.

Back to the twin. When I took my twin apart the first time to install the 12 volt and booster plug I spent some time studying the air box, etc and was very impressed with the stock paper type filters. I actually had purchased a tiwn-air set of filters but decided they would never flow more air than the stock so why bother.

Just my thoughts and opinions which can be worthless most of the time :)

Back