• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!
  • The Vendor forum is for users that wish to offer their services or products to the TWT Community. Creation of a new thread is limited to users that are members of the TWT Vendor usergroup. Contact Tourmeister to join this usergroup. Vendors may create ONE thread to promote their business. They will still be able to edit and reply to their thread, and reply to anyone else's, but they are limited to one thread. Regular users can reply to any existing thread. Vendors should strive to keep all of their business related posting in this thread.

Dual Sport Bike Rental, Smoky Mountains and Big Bend Texas

LtDan

Reaction score
BIG BEND 2016 UPDATE This year again we'll be set up at the Big Bend Motor Inn at the intersection of Hwys. 170 and 118 in beautiful downtown Terlingua, or Study Butte, depending on who you talk to! Dates are January 22nd through March 18th so we'll be here during Uncle's Around the Bend ride this year. 2- KLR650's, 2- DR650's, a Yami XT250 and a BMW 800GS makes up the fleet we'll have available. CLICK HERE for more info and rates or give us a call at 865-448-6090.
Thanks,
Dan

Recently we have had several folks up from Texas renting bikes and they suggested I post here about our biz. We are located in Townsend, TN 1/2 mile from the Great Smoky Mtns. Nat'l Park. Our fleet includes KLR 650's, DR 650's and 200's. We have many maps and routes that take you away from the crowds and on to the good stuff. For more info check out our website at www.gsmmotorent.com.
Secondly, I love riding down in TX. One of my best riding buds lives in Austin and I try to get down there every chance I get and ride the Hill Country and out to the Big Bend area, which leads me to this. We have very long winters around here so my idea was to load up some bikes and head to Terlingua next January to ride, play, and see if there is any interest in renting out some dual sport bikes. Please feel free to comment on the above, I welcome any feed back you can give on this.
If you're in the East TN area please stop in and say hello, and cool your dogs off in the river!

Last edited:
Re: Dual Sport Bike Rental, Smoky Mountains

August Special- We are offering the free use of a Go Pro video camera with each 3 day rental. You'll need to bring your own SD 2 gig media card and AAA lithium batteries or we have them available here. Limited availability.
Capture your ride then go home and edit, put on You Tube for the world to see!

If you're in the East TN area please stop in and say hello, and cool your dogs off in the river!

Just came through your way from Austin to Quantico via Asheville. Woulda dropped in had I known. I stopped in every other body of water I encountered to cool off. Was a hot week even for a Texan....

Welcome

MMmmmm Looks like great fun

where else can you test drive a KLR on the Dragon and Parsons Branch

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

thank you very much LT DAN!!!

Last edited:

James, glad we could help out. Nice pics you put up there.
Dan

The crowds are gone, weather's looking good, its time to ride. Sept. and most of Oct. are some of the best times to ride up here, not much rain, nice temps and lack of crowds make for good rides, just remember toward the end of Oct. the Leafers come out in force but if your on a Dual Sport bike you have more options to bypass the masses.
Dan

Good to know. I've got a dual sport in my future, looks like a good way to try them out and see if some of the ones you have would fit the bill for my needs. I'll be keeping this in mind.

Yea, Gixxerjasen, let me know if we can help out. We've got lots of maps and some good self guided routes for DS'ing around the Smoky's.
Also looking to add some lighter bikes like the KLX 250's or DRZ400's to the fleet, would like to know everyone's opinion on these bikes as we've been getting calls for lighter more off roadie type bikes.
Dan

I was in Ouray Colorado last week and saw some of your flyers in the office of a local campground on the North end of town.

What's a Leafer?

Thought that might be it but never heard the term leafers.

New Bikes

In response to the feed back we have been getting we added two new bikes for the fall season, a Yamaha WR250X and a Kawasaki KLX250X. Don't let the displacement fool ya, these bikes offer a fully adjustable suspension and the engines are high revving versions of their motocross bikes, on a bike that weighs less than 300 lbs.
Dan

Re: New Bikes

Great news, LtDan! I've been wondering how I could get my hands on a DS when I come and visit my sister in Oak Ridge! I grew up in Maryville, but left at 19 to join the Army. How I loved driving my Opel Manta down Parsons Branch and on the Dragon before it was called the Dragon!

I was just going to recommend the Yamaha WR250R when you asked for suggestions-

Will stop in to meet you the next time I'm in Vol's country.

Rick
Houston, Tx

Hey Rick, bet that was an adventure taking an Opal down Parson's Branch. Look forward to meeting ya when your in the area.
Dan

October Special !!!!

Weather is great, the leaves are a changing, its a great time to be in the Smoky Mountains. For the month of October we are offering 10% off 1 day rentals and 20% off 2 day rentals Monday thru Thursday only. Save $ and miss the weekend crowds. Give us a call at 865-448-6090.
Dan

Just got back from Townsend. My dad and I trailered up from his home in Mississippi and we made the loop through Deal's Gap to Cherokee and back up to Townsend. It was a great trip with great weather. We stayed next door at the Riverstone Lodge. Terry had nothing but fantastic things to say about you.

DUAL SPORT RENTAL at BIG BEND

EL DESPOBLADO: Unpopulated, empty place. Words long used to the describe the Big Bend region of Texas. Maybe this is why it has to be one of the best areas for dual sport riding, especially in Febuary and March. Ride along the Rio Grande on River Road in the National Park, explore the Big Bend Ranch State Park, then head into Terlingua for some refreshments, food, and lodging.
Tired of watching our steeds sit idle here in the Smoky's during the winter, the decision has been made to load up the trailer and head southwest. We're bringing a few KLR's, a DR200, and a KLX250 for starters. Operation dates are Feb. 20th through March 31st of 2011. We'll be based in Terlingua at Big Bend Resort, where FM170 meets Route 118, N 29' 19. 45.627 and W 103' 32. 3.858
Here's a couple of videos to give you an idea of what the riding's like-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XFbzVmC5SM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW6ZCnYnZmg
Check out our website for more details and rental rates or give us a call to schedule @865-448-6090. For more info on the Big Bend area visit http://www.visitbigbend.com/site09/index.php

Come ride Big Bend with us!

Team
GSMmotoRent

Re: DUAL SPORT RENTAL at BIG BEND

We're bringing a few KLR's, a DR200, and a KLX250 for starters. Operation dates are Feb. 20th through March 31st of 2011. We'll be based in Terlingua at Big Bend Resort, where FM170 meets Route 118, N 29' 19. 45.627 and W 103' 32. 3.858
Team
GSMmotoRent

I saw that you have the WR250R for day rentals. This might be good, if I am in the area on my road bike and need to spend one day riding off-road.

Is your $95 for a 24 hour period or just one 12 hour day? BTW, what brand or type of tire do you use on it? OEM Trailwings?

RB

Hey Red,
Rental periods are 24 hours. Price in Terlingua is $115 plus Taxes and ins., comes to about $150 out the door. We use a tire real close to the OEM, about a 50/50 tire which should work good in the sand and loose stuff.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
Dan

Just want to say thanks to all of you who rented bikes from us last week for the Around the Bend ride, and to all of you who stopped in to say hi.
It was great meeting all of you. With the response we have had we'll more than likely be down here again next winter.
If any of you plan on coming to the Smokies let us know if we can help, we have lots of routes and maps of the area and a shop if needed.

Dan

Wrapping up our stay down here in Terlingua, last day for rentals will be Sunday, March 27th.
Due to the response we have had we will defiantly be back next year, looking at the last week of January through the first week of March.
Thanks again to all of you who rented bikes from us and let us know if you need any help if you find your way to the Smoky Mountains.

Ride Safe,
Dan

Spring is here finally! We'll be open for business Monday March 28th for the season.
Most of the roads are open and NO rockslides so far this year, YEE HAW!
If you plan on heading this way give us a call if we can help.
Ride Safe,
Dan

Super Tenere for rent, Smoky Mountains

Just received our new Yamaha Super Tenere and is now available for rent. Be the first to ride this exciting new adventure bike in the Smoky mountains. Thanks to the fine folks at Twisted Throttle bike is totally outfitted with Trax panniers and top case, SW-Motech crash bars and bash plate, Denali 2 LED lights, tall windscreen and many other accessories. Ready for on or off road. Give us a call at 865-448-6090 for more info or to reserve.

Back