• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New in Texas, US - Need a licence

Reaction score
Hi,

Finally I arrived in the US after a long wait. I applied, passed and was issued my car driver's licence this week - took all but two days. Card is in the mail on its way.

Now I need to start work on my bike licence :rider:

I have a valid South-African motorcycle licence without any restrictions and have many years riding experience, thus I do not need to learn how to ride from scratch.

What are the basic requirements / courses that I need in order to obtain my unrestricted bike licence in Texas? We stay in north-Dallas area.

Welcome aboard!
I'll let some else answer,
But please come to some of the local gatherings in the DFW area.

Others will probably have more up to date info, but I think you just have to pass the written and riding test at the local DMV office. If i recall correctly, you'll have to supply a bike to ride and a car/driver for the DPS officer to follow you for the test.

Welcome, I ride with a couple South-African guys in Houston. They're a lot of fun.

We went to South-Africa 3 years ago and rode from Cape Town to Botswana and Namibia. It was a great adventure!

Welcome aboard!
I'll let some else answer,
But please come to some of the local gatherings in the DFW area.

Thanks TL - we are currently based in north Dallas, but will most likely move closer to the center or even south-Dallas, depending on the job opportunities. Will give a shout when I am set up - looking forward to buying a well priced bike with the winter season coming up soon.

Others will probably have more up to date info, but I think you just have to pass the written and riding test at the local DMV office. If i recall correctly, you'll have to supply a bike to ride and a car/driver for the DPS officer to follow you for the test.

Welcome, I ride with a couple South-African guys in Houston. They're a lot of fun.

We went to South-Africa 3 years ago and rode from Cape Town to Botswana and Namibia. It was a great adventure!

I asked at the DPS office where I did my car licence and they instructed me to contact a 3rd party riding school, where after I need to bring them
the relevant paperwork in order to obtain the licence. Just want to make sure I sign up for the correct course.

Bots and Nam are both beautiful in their own ways for sure, that sounds like a very good bike trip. South-Africans fly rather low under the radar, it's only the accent and the occasional swearing in Afrikaans that will give them away. Some can even ride bikes :lol2:

I had to leave my trusty 1150 GSA behind - tried to import the peeg, but the US government said no sir, not possible - EPA and DOT and all that. Hence I am in the market for another 1150 GSA. Have been scouting around and found a few, albeit a bit far away..........which makes for an awesome excuse for a long US road trip :deal:

Welcome to Texas!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Welcome. I believe nowadays you have to take the rider safety course which gives you credit for the riding portion of the test. Then you go to DPS and just take the written part.
Also look up “motohank.com”, in Dilley TX. ( long way from Plano) He’s got a beautiful low mileage 1150 I’d love to own

Texas reciprocates with a few countries. It is on the DPS website. If South Africa is one, then just turn in your license and get the Texas license. If not you may have to take the Basic Rider Course. There is a low mileage 1150GS on Craigslist in Austin for 4200.

Thanks for the welcome gents, much obliged.

@South Tex - thanks, I will check motohank and his for sale bikes out, also good to know about him for future use.

@Drunk_Uncle - thanks for the heads up.

Welcome to The United States, and especially Texas!

The folks at MTC will be able to help you get your license sorted out. I believe it is correct that the MSF course stands in for the previously required riding test at the DPS.

https://www.texasmtc.com/Default.aspx

Thanks pacman - I called them today, but they were closed/not available. Will try again on Monday.

ask them if they offer the Total Control intermediate Class. If you are an experienced rider you can take it and it's only one day. The exercises are more advanced than the BRC, therefore more fun plus you use your own bike. We offer it here in Houston. If not you will have to take the Basic Riders course . You use the schools MC. You have to have eye protection Glasses or sunglasses will do. long sleeve shirt or jacket. Jeans , over the ankles boots or shoes and helmet if the school doesn't have loaners. After you take and pass the class, that's it. They give you the paperwork and that's it. no more testing unless you are under 18. You take the paper from the school to the DMV and $16 later, you got your endorsement.

EVen though you know how to ride, I suggest taking the MSF course to get your license anyway. The DMV no longer deals with Moto licenses that much so it is quite a chore to obtain your license through the DMV alone. They are streamlined to take money and hand out ID's and driver's licenses. Anything outside of that and they fall apart.

The MSF course may be boring , but it will result in a bike license faster and easier than going to the DMV.

As stated, take an MSF course, usually requires a full weekend, is very easy, you then take the certificate to the DMV, take the written test and they issue you a license. As you have done an MSF course, your insurance will normally give you an extra discount for having attended a safety course.. Its much easier than messing around at the driving test center!!

Gary

Things are harder today. I got my cycle endorsement when I was in the Army in Germany. When I returned home, all I had to do was show them the USAREAR license and pay a fee, and they simply added the endorsement to my Texas license. Then again, today's safety courses didn't even exist back then!

In any case, welcome to Texas.

As stated, take an MSF course, usually requires a full weekend, is very easy, you then take the certificate to the DMV, take the written test and they issue you a license. As you have done an MSF course, your insurance will normally give you an extra discount for having attended a safety course.. Its much easier than messing around at the driving test center!!

Gary
If you take the MSF course there is no testing at the DMV. The written is done at the class. You simply take the MSB8 issued by the Course sponser at completion of the class, give them their money and that's it. Only someone under 18 takes a riding test at the DMV after the class.

If you take the MSF course there is no testing at the DMV. The written is done at the class. You simply take the MSB8 issued by the Course sponser at completion of the class, give them their money and that's it. Only someone under 18 takes a riding test at the DMV after the class.

This. I showed them my Californian CSMP (MSF) diploma and they gave me the license without a written test.

Welcome, you have the advice you need so I won't add to it.
This is a good bunch of folks here, hope you enjoy it.
P.S. Folks here love photos and ride reports.... no pressure :rider:

Thanks gents. My South-African bike licence is not covered under the US reciprocity rules, thus I need to go the whole training route.

Further - I dont have a bike at the moment, thus I will have to to do the two day beginner course as they provide bikes. The one day courses are for those who have their own bikes only.

Thanks gents. My South-African bike licence is not covered under the US reciprocity rules, thus I need to go the whole training route.

Further - I dont have a bike at the moment, thus I will have to to do the two day beginner course as they provide bikes. The one day courses are for those who have their own bikes only.
The classroom time will bore you, so will the riding. I took it at 15 years old, had 10 years riding experience at that time. The instructor had less than 5. The class was full of harley riders getting helmet exemptions.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back