• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas "Blue" title?

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
What is it?

I found a bike with one advertised. Should I stay clear even if the price is right?

Odd wording, but maybe they just mean they have the title in hand? The ones I have for a car and my motorcycle are both somewhat bluish in nature. Can't help you more, sorry.

I think (no funny jokes please) that a blue title is one with no leans and a red has the lean holder on it.

AFAIK blue means its a good clear title. its a different color if its a salvage title

Current Texas title colors:

Blue - "original" title - the one you receive when you first purchase a vehicle, or make a significant change to the owner record such as adding/deleting a lienholder, or adding/removing a second owner.

Brown - certified duplicate - issued if/when the blue title is lost; has the same legal value as the blue original.

Purple - (it's actually kind of dark-pinkish) - salvage title, vehicle has not yet been declared "rebuilt." Voids the registration; vehicle can not legally be driven even with a temporary permit. You're stuck with towing or trailering it. And beware of a salvage title, from any state, that has an "export only" stamp on it. Even if you can successfully repair it, it will take a court order to allow it to be re-registered in Texas.

Orange - non-repairable title. Voids the registration. A salvage vehicle that may only be junked for scrap metal or used for parts.

Blue or brown titles may have a "rebuilt salvage" brand if the vehicle has successfully passed inspection after being repaired.

A "clear" title is one with no liens recorded. It can be any color. Folks sometimes use "clean" to indicate a title with no salvage or non-repairable brands. "Clean" can also refer to a vehicle being sold by the person(s) actually named on the title record. If the seller isn't named as the owner on the title, they need to be a licensed dealer, or the repossessing bank, or a properly appointed agent of the owner or lienholder (with documentation such as Letters Testamentary, Power of Attorney, or Affidavit of Repossession). Otherwise, the unlucky buyer will wind up having to go through a hearing or purchasing a title bond in order to get the record transferred to his/her name. And if there's more than one recorded owner on a Texas title, all must sign the title over or it isn't negotiable.

Yeah, I work for TxDOT :duck: but in the Vehicle Titles & Registration Division, not in Engineering or Admin.

Last edited:
Back