• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kid Safe Area around Dalls/Ft. Worth

Also, some additional info, now that we've been going and Jakob has some experience.

The beginner area is awesome in a lot of ways. And even in the one way it's not awesome, it's still awesome. It's short, easy to learn and ride on. It's mostly flat with areas to teach kids on. Jakob still isn't riding fast enough to take the one berm there but he rides down low and does fine. If the kids go down, you can see them if you are paying attention and it's a short jog to wherever they crash. Of course, Jakob's first big crash was as far as he could possibly be from me, so I took to following him on the 70 after that to appease his fears.

The bad, it is very sandy out there. Unless there's been some recent rains, the trails are soft and sandy. This makes it very hard on kids who are total beginners. Where it's good though, Jakob very quickly got used to riding on the bike with it moving around under him. Really good training. Also, his crashes were into soft sand. He's banged himself up a few times, but several of his crashes were referred to as "Fun crashes." I don't know about that but I do know he was able to get back up and go riding right afterwards with no damage to kid or bike.

I agree with cmc#3 though as the rest of the area isn't really worth riding if you have skills at all. It is very short and even when I was a noob learning to ride out there, I got bored with it very quickly. I have no idea why people who are experienced riders keep going out there unless they live close by and it's easy to get some saddle time in. I can't wait till he's ready to hit the real trails and show him where the real fun is, but it'll be elsewhere most likely. For now, he's enjoying tearing up the beginner area.

Gixxer:

I have to give you props on:
1) moving him up to the right size bike.
2) all the gear he's wearing is fitted just right for his size. That's quite an accomplishment.

1. I rode both back to back, knew he'd feel much more comfortable once he got the hang of the throttle control.
2. Cycle Gear Plano has everything you need. Not a huge selection and not necessarily cheap prices, but they have what you need to get a kiddo properly outfitted. I'm happy to have a place I can rely on for one stop shopping.

That one is on the list for us to try. I just live on the far East side of DFW, so it's a bit far. I need his skills a little better so he can last a little longer out there. Not worth a super long drive when he can only ride for a couple of hours before he's done.

Back