• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thinking of a KTM 500 EXC

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Morisoli
Gang, I am getting serious about adding a KTM 500 EXC to the barn. Does anybody have one that can offer insights, suggestions?

I have the Honda Africa Twin and it is amazing, but it is not a light weight off-road bike. I figure with the AT and the KTM I should be covered for anything we ride anymore.

Not sure if I should consider the 350 instead, but I want it street legal and I am a big guy at 250 lbs!

Would love to find a lightly used one with some of the standard add-ons already, don't like taking that initial hit with a brand new bike, but I always worry did the guy take proper care of it when I think of used.

Anyway useful input or guidance is welcomed.

There was a thread on KTM 500 vs 690 that had lots of info in it. It wasn't too long ago.

Chaparral motosports did a good write up on converting it on a Baja bike.

Tricepilot is the guru on KTM 500 . Send him a PM and he'll overwhelm you with info.

Get one.

A good deal on a '12 500 in Russellville,AR . Check Craigslist .

Last edited:
owned 14 KTM XC-W 500 almost the same thing FYI never a worry either am just saying ... good luck sir whatever you decide!

Last edited:
Last August this thread got started

KTM 500 EXC for full on adventure riding!

Check out the comments and links there first before they're recreated in this thread.

Trail Boss, aka our very own Richard of Texas Adventure fame, just acquired his KTM 500. He's a guru of Big Bend, Arkansas, and Mexico adventure riding, if that gives you any clue as to the utility of the 500 EXC :sun:

Your best bet is to discuss the pros (many) and cons (few) over the phone with an existing owner versus recreate the mo-betta-bike argument here

I'll be glad to give you my views in a phone convo; send me a PM if interested.

I dont think this crew will let you ride to Mexico with them on anything but a KTM 500 :mrgreen:

:doh: I was just corrected by a text message :giveup: I should have said KTM 500 and KLIM gear :lol2:

It's pretty much the greatest bike ever. No regrets. It's an expensive bike but they are flat out amazing. I won't ever give mine up.

I've ridden it 300 miles in a day, lots of dual sporting, trail rides, raced it in multiple enduros.

2017 really amazing! And if you're doing much "road" 500 all the way, had both 350 lacking on road. Both are capable on trails with proper gearing. If I remember right stock 350 gearing wasn't bad off road, stock gearing(in 2015) for the 500 was too tall for serious off-road IMO. I changed front and rear per suggestions, that was a mistake as it turned into great trail bike but was too low for street. Just needed to change one end not both!

Last edited:
Glad to see you are getting a proper dual sport bike to compliment the Africa Twin Mike. Now that you have the two perfect bikes for totally enjoying the Ozarks...come on up & ride with me sometime!

Holy smokes, my post text is getting smaller & fading into oblivion. Now what have I done to myself...
Jane!
Come stop this crazy thing!

It's pretty much the greatest bike ever. No regrets. It's an expensive bike but they are flat out amazing. I won't ever give mine up.

I've ridden it 300 miles in a day, lots of dual sporting, trail rides, raced it in multiple enduros.

True d/s!

Hate to cut a fart in this big happy KTM party but my concern with a new KTM

Is the increased maintenance.I have owned An LC4 D/S and the Duke 640 and a 950

And all 3 Had reasonable extended maintenance intervals.

What is the current valve inspection interval and top end interval on the 500 ?

How many miles can one expect before pulling the top end ? 25k miles 600 hrs. ?

Also the seat height on all these bikes just keeps going up and seat more narrow.

Last edited:
Hate to cut a fart in this big happy KTM party but my concern with a new KTM

Is the increased maintenance.I have owned An LC4 D/S and the Duke 640 and a 950

And all 3 Had reasonable extended maintenance intervals.

What is the current valve inspection interval and top end interval on the 500 ?

How many miles can one expect before pulling the top end ? 25k miles 600 hrs. ?

Also the seat height on all these bikes just keeps going up and seat more narrow.

Riding the 500 as a true dual sport. like many here do, honestly the bike is not even breaking a sweat. I would say real world that a stock piston could probably go 600 hours in true dual usage, but at half that time I would be looking at it. I consider the bottom end (crank) to be the life of the engine, with good maintenance. They are pretty robust.

Valves--not sure what the factory frequency is but they probably won't need adjusting--possibly they may need an initial adjustment. The valve train on all KTMs now are tough--as good as anything in the class.

I have no idea why people say they have concerns. Yes it is not a WR250 (thank goodness) but this is a proven platform, and an EXTREMELY high performance platform at that. The same bike that piddles around on dirt roads could line up and win a race. Where else you gonna get that?

The only advice I have for those that have a pre-2017 KTM exc or xcw four stroke is to not ride a 2017. The new ones are incredibly good, and a noticeable step up from even the previous generation (which are great bikes as many here already know).

JohnF3, its funny I was just pondering what the 2017's are like. They are more money for sure, but...

JohnF3, its funny I was just pondering what the 2017's are like. They are more money for sure, but...

Mike,
The weight reduction, but more important, the way the engineers figured out how to centralize the mass made a huge positive difference. I am not one to run to the latest and greatest but this new generation is really nice. I have to figure out how to get one. I have time on several different new ones, and it is pretty much a revelation how good they are.

Gang, I am getting serious about adding a KTM 500 EXC to the barn. Does anybody have one that can offer insights, suggestions?

I have the Honda Africa Twin and it is amazing, but it is not a light weight off-road bike. I figure with the AT and the KTM I should be covered for anything we ride anymore.

Not sure if I should consider the 350 instead, but I want it street legal and I am a big guy at 250 lbs!

Would love to find a lightly used one with some of the standard add-ons already, don't like taking that initial hit with a brand new bike, but I always worry did the guy take proper care of it when I think of used.

Anyway useful input or guidance is welcomed.
Contact tbucket

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

Mike,
The weight reduction, but more important, the way the engineers figured out how to centralize the mass made a huge positive difference. I am not one to run to the latest and greatest but this new generation is really nice. I have to figure out how to get one. I have time on several different new ones, and it is pretty much a revelation how good they are.

This one post may have just cost me $12k....

A guy on ADVrider had to do a top end on his 2013 at 350 hours and he paid
$2300 to have it done.

If you are "Thinking of a KTM 500 EXC" and you want the most capable off road oriented
Dual sport money can buy then the answer is obvious.

If you are thinking of a 70/30 dualsport with the emphasis on adventure touring and
Good off road capability and maintenance and cost is a factor then the choice becomes
more complicated.

Last edited:
A guy on ADVrider had to do a top end on his 2013 at 350 hours and he paid
$2300 to have it done.

If you are "Thinking of a KTM 500 EXC" and you want the most capable off road oriented
Dual sport money can buy then the answer is obvious.

If you are thinking of a 70/30 dualsport with the emphasis on adventure touring and
Good off road capability and maintenance and cost is a factor then the choice becomes
more complicated.

No bike is suitable for everyone, for sure. Reading your posts I would say you should look at something different. It's easy to find "that guy" stories in this age of the internet, and it is a good way to talk yourself out of something that wasn't the right fit anyway.

No bike is suitable for everyone, for sure. Reading your posts I would say you should look at something different. It's easy to find "that guy" stories in this age of the internet, and it is a good way to talk yourself out of something that wasn't the right fit anyway.

I wasn't the one looking....headline is "Thinking of KTM 500 EXC" "that guy" isn't the only guy.

Probably safe to say you will be into the engine of a KTM 500 in half the time
Of other DS bikes.But hey that is the price you pay for street legal race dirt bikes.

Not a put down just a reality.

Probably safe to say you will be into the engine of a KTM 500 in half the time
Of other DS bikes.But hey that is the price you pay for street legal race dirt bikes.

Whether that is true or not, I'll say this: when the time comes to rebuild the top end, take my money!

I'll gladly spend $$ if that's the price to pay for riding the perfect (for me) off road machine.

Like most here, I've ridden a bunch of different dirt bikes. IMHO nothing compares to the 500 EXC so if the top end needs a rebuild, so be it.

Back