• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #196 - "Smoke" (ENTRY) Due 01-29-18

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Post your entry for #196 Smoke here...

Closing Date: 01/29/18 Midnight

Please do not comment in this thread until a winner has been selected. Comments may be deleted without warning until then.

fullsizeoutput_1255-L.jpg

Wow, this was a fun one and I'm glad to see a couple new folks in here playing along. Thank you!

twtex85
I love the B&W conversion - it's "crisp" and well done. The exposure is perfect IMO. And the use of a black background is something I lean towards. The smoke is good and I have a good feel for where it comes from, yet there's a little part of me that is confused on the whole concept. The parts just don't seem to fit for me. I was wrestling with the cross and a gun, or two different candles and just couldn't tie them all together. For me, the matchbox also looked very staged and somewhat out of place.

Downs
Holy Super-Size-Picture-Batman. That's one large image. In the future, could you please try to size them to 1024 on the longest side? Smoke? Check. Context? Check. It's a gritty, no-nonsense image and you know exactly what you're looking at - smoke. This makes me want to see more.... Technically there's some detractors in the pixels I can see.

M38A1
Yeah, I love me some marinated boneless skinless chicken thighs on the barbie. Like I mentioned in the Project52 thread, I tried to frame the lid with the black side like a backdrop and the little vent to set some distance. The food was awesome, but this image fell a bit flat in the 'pop' department.

klb1122
I was wondering if you would participate with another kid shot... You did not disappoint. You are the master at capture of the faces of people, especially your kids. The intensity of the eyes on the candle is awesome. The smoke from the two candles is subtle, but there to let you know progression. Two down, two to go.

Woodbutcher
I can appreciate the time required to get these shots as I've done them in the past. In fact, there's a whole genre' of incense photography you might go look at. I like the pattern you captured with this one as well as the white and orange elements in the background.

Alas, I can only choose one, and I choose Downs this time around. Josh nailed the smoke part with quantity and context. I didn't have to think much about what I was looking at. The hand on the wall made me feel like that could have been 'my' hand - 'my' perspective. I wanted to see more in this series.

Congrats Josh and again, thank you for everyone who submitted this round.

Josh, check your PM's a bit later today...

Re: Photo Assignment #196 - "Smoke" (ENTRY) Due 01-29-18

Sorry the photo came out so big. The site where i host them looked normal there. Probably should have posted through tapatalk.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Lets see how this looks.
68b1b7aeac36d28463d59382388f9118.jpg

Congrats, Downs! Looks much better with the resizing. :trust:

What's the story behind the shot? Looks like a terrifying situation.

It was a training evolution. Shot captured with a helmet mounted camera. The only way to see in there when theyre really pumping in the smoke is with a thermal camera. We were on our way out of the building after doing a primary search for "victims"

We were less than 5 feet from the door in this shot. Thats where all the light is coming from.

Last edited:

It was a training evolution. Shot captured with a helmet mounted camera. The only way to see in there when theyre really pumping in the smoke is with a thermal camera. We were on our way out of the building after doing a primary search for "victims"

We were less than 5 feet from the door in this shot. Thats where all the light is coming from.

:clap: :thumb:

I like the resized version as well. :clap:

I also can't stress enough how twtex85's shot for his first time out playing with us turned out. I'll say it again, technically that is one crisp, well exposed image. Can't wait to see what he tosses out in future assignments. :photo: So I have to ask.... how did you light that shot?

First off congratulations to Downs. I really liked his pic as it captured the feel of being a firefighter in the middle of a fire and all the grittiness and smoke so you can't hardly see.

Thanks for the kind words as I am kind of feeling my way thru this and learning every day with the camera. With regards to my submittal the theme or message I was trying to convey with the shot was "smoke em or snuff em out" The matches were there to imply the candles had been lit and then they were snuffed out so to speak. The message didn't come across quite like I planned but I had fun doing the shot and participating.

With regards to doing the shot I shot it in our guest bathroom. Used a black throw to cover up the cabinet and a black poster board for the backing in the pic . I then arranged the items on the throw and started doing some test shots. The bathroom has an overhead wall mounted light fixture with 4 LED bulbs in it. At first I had too much light so I backed out 3 of the bulbs so they weren't on and left the one bulb on the far right on (right side of the pic) . I then played around with the zoom and exposure to get the look I wanted . Once I got everything set and was satisfied with the results i lit the candles and let them burn a little bit and then blew them out. I immediately use my remote to take the shot. It took several shots before I was satisfied with the outcome. After that I imported the pic into the Photo app on my Mac and converted it to black and white. I think I played around with the sharpness and contrast a little using Photos but you are limited in what you can do. I thought the black and white version highlighted the smoke from the candles muchbetter and gave it a unusual look. Anyway thanks again for the comments and I look forward to doing more of these. I attached the color version below so you can compare both versions. Settings on camera were manual focus, ISO400 , F18, 4 sec exp.
fullsizeoutput_1256-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Back