• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - 2/24/18 - Center Point + 2 day ride option-TARA/SA

This is beginning to look like a possible for me.

Never mind, I gotta work.

Last edited:
So, at what point will a weather decision get made? I don't know these roads, how muddy do they get?

Rain date information will be posted on the Thursday before the ride if necessary.

Right now the weather looks good, we all know Texas weather though.

Sat FEB 24 Partly Cloudy
70°46° 20%
Mostly cloudy skies early will become partly cloudy later in the day. High around 70F.

Sun FEB 25 Partly Cloudy
72°48° 0%

I remember riding to Junction for the Texas Adventure Ride in the rain one Friday afternoon, all on pavement. While I was checking in the motel the rain stopped and we went out for a ride 30 minutes later on mostly caliche and the conditions were great. Only having ridden a little of the route when damp I can't vouch for all of it. But as always if something looks bad we can always route around it.

I always hope for some moisture the week before a ride, keeps the dust down and traction up.

25403418197_5a3bde850e_b.jpg
CIMG0346 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

When we turned around.

40274426171_6a874e28aa_b.jpg
CIMG0349 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

When we plowed through.

25403423167_76baaf9eb1_b.jpg
CIMG0453 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

Last edited:
So, we are now under a week, and weather looks good-ish. Me and Elio are splitting a campsite in Kerrville on Friday night, anybody else planning on being there? Elio should be there around 4, I won't get there till 10.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Yes, I'm planning on rolling in on Friday. Don't forget - Gina offered to bring us all dinner!

Last edited:
I think I can make this happen. If so, I'll head to kerrville-schreiner park on Friday, probably be there around 6pm.

If you have a klr your not a rookie your a champ. Especially if you did the milk crate mod like me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Was thinking about riding out from SA on the klr...since there’s no stop for lunch, I was going to throw a sandwich in the milk crate and call it a day.

Riding shinko 705’s (80/20) at the moment, but assuming I can make do. [emoji1365]

Been out of town for 8 months so trying to get the gal rideable. Count me as a “maybe” for a few days.

Mud Taco: Dutch484's klr has a clutch cover gasket leaking, new gasket should be her tomorrow-any knowledge of this procedure?
jsoucie: Last year we had lunch in London,(London grocery and grill) still made it to Menard fairly early.

How many people are eating breakfast at Los Dos Amigos Saturday morning?

Jose at the restaurant asked so he could set up some tables.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Riding shinko 705’s (80/20) at the moment, but assuming I can make do. [emoji1365]

Have you ridden a 705 on dirt/gravel? A lot of guys (myself included) have sworn them off, way too squirmy. Again, this is not just my sentiment. Not trying to freak you out- but if you have front knobbie, I would throw that on. I just switch the front only on one of my bikes to a TKC80 and it made a word of difference, the back is still a 705. In fact, I like it in the rear (whoa there!) cuz it slides around a bit in corners.

If you are camping in Kville friday, and have a knobbie front, bring it and we can change it if you like.

Have you ridden a 705 on dirt/gravel? A lot of guys (myself included) have sworn them off, way too squirmy. Again, this is not just my sentiment. Not trying to freak you out- but if you have front knobbie, I would throw that on. I just switch the front only on one of my bikes to a TKC80 and it made a word of difference, the back is still a 705. In fact, I like it in the rear (whoa there!) cuz it slides around a bit in corners.

If you are camping in Kville friday, and have a knobbie front, bring it and we can change it if you like.

I've spent some time on 705's on my Vstrom on dirt, gravel, and sand. They're not bad tires. you just have to have reasonable expectations. No they don't handle like knobbies. Yes, they can grip alright in dry hardpack, especially if aired down a bit. What they're really good for is putting sport bike riders to shame!

I run an IRC TR8 front and Shinko 244 rear on my DR right now. Much better with more agressive tires for the off-road portions and these are perfectly acceptable on pavement. I've ridden sport bike riders asses though corners on this bike with these tires.

Last edited:

Rode the 705’s on a tiny bit of dirt/gravel on some Iowa county roads and it was alright. They were fairly hard-packed and remind me of TX cr’s. I didn’t check the tracks yet, but I assume we’re riding mostly cr’s and maybe some a bit tougher than others?

Unfortunately, the knobbies were pretty bald and I left them at a cycle world in NC last summer.

Tail of the Dragon was a **** ton of fun on the 705’s though! Probably would’ve been even better without luggage!

On pavement they are great, I have no problem with them. Hard pack as well.

It's when the road surface is a little loose that things get hairy. I didn't mean to say that you won't do just fine, but if this weekend is challenging I would look at replacing just the front with a more dirt oriented tire.

I guess I should have ended with the caveat: YMMV

If anyone needs a room at the hill top in Menard, I have a friend that will not be able to make it. There was a 10 day cancellation. Let me know and he can set it up for you

If anyone needs a room at the hill top in Menard, I have a friend that will not be able to make it. There was a 10 day cancellation. Let me know and he can set it up for you

Well that stinks. On both. I've never heard of a cancellation policy like that for a regular motel, outside of a special event or holiday...But I called to confirm their policy.

We booked at the Budget Inn last year and pushed the ride back one week and they were very accommodating, easy to deal with, but I had a suggestion to move the base motel to the Hilltop this year.

So for me the ride in on, rain or shine...

Imo,. Thinking may get wet weekend so since I don't have waterproof boots. What about extra large zip lock bags inside boots (seems plauasable) . Also used that spray kiwi stuff on them and still had damp socks last time. I saw this at Walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Silicone-Water-Guard-Water-Repellent-13-13-Ounces/52130847
Think it's better than the ? stuff?
Sat morning looks damp and cool, I know, will change forcast tomorrow.

Back