• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

So, You Got a Track Bike

Good news is that I got the seat pad yesterday, I will try to mount her up this evening and hopefully get her to the track this week. We shall see. I also got some Klucky Pucks for knee dragging, should be fun.

Good stuff. Did you even wear out those street tires? Whatcha gonna do with them? :D

In honor of Mitch's work, here is how she sits, the last picture is where I "finished" her. Haven't decided if I will paint it or not. Jury is still out.

I've got a new set of fairings for mine as well that need paint. If you decide to do red, let's talk. I'd like to do mine red and black or red and white.

Anyway.... maybe we could paint them at the same time. I was going to have to build a paint booth in the garage but have been putting it off as I didn't want to build it for one set.

I need my tank painted too....it's yellow and blue and just won't work with red.

Good stuff. Did you even wear out those street tires? Whatcha gonna do with them? :D

A few laps at Cresson should wear them out pretty quick. You get to practice your sliding skills when they get greasy. :)

My first time at Cresson was on a SV650. First track day ever, super slow, learning...street tires with street pressures for the first half of the day.

By the end of the day I was getting the feel of it and had learned to lower my pressures and was getting much more side grip. I guess I was pushing the limits of street tires though because the sides of the tires were near melted when I got home that night. Was an awesome first day on the track. :)

LOL! If they will fit your scooter, I will pull them off and save them. I wanted to get some Med/Med Dunlop slicks with the new 180 profile all the Super Sport guys rave about. We did lots of track time on our BT10s and BT003s. Once I used slicks I was spoiled. Of course lately I am running Dunlop GPAs and a 190/60 rear which is too wide and tall for the Gixxer. So when I go back to the 180 I will probably raise the forks/lower the front.

Anyway, the latest NTEC (New Technology, go figure) Dunlops allow you to flip the rear so I can get more time out of them. Should be handy. Prices are not too bad.

So, anyway, I will give you back those tires, I don't think they have 200 miles on them do they? I might even do it by the weekend. We shall see.

Yep, looking at my order history that rear tire is a 180/55 which would be pretty flat across the 6" rear of the GSX-S that calls for a 190 size tire. I might snag that front off of you.

FYI, I'm on call this weekend so I got another comp day coming I will need to burn somehow. :rider::flip:

Woo Hoo! Mr. UPS brought me some Med/Med Slicks

20180906_060236.jpg

20180906_060231.jpg

20180906_060245.jpg

Nice.
What's a pair of Dunlop slicks run these days? $400 or so?

$418.00 USD shipped. The GPAs are marginally cheaper, but these slicks are about 10-12 weeks old. Probably the freshest ones I have ever had. Plus the rear can be flipped when I wear out the left side unlike the GPAs. They do have an N-TEC treaded tire that is the same, but I prefer the slicks when I can get them. I ran Dunlops on my KTM Supermoto, then ran Maxxis. On the RC-8R, I ran Pirelli track day superbike slicks. They were awesome. The GPAs seem to have limitless grip most of the time and these slicks should be even better. After this set, I will know if I love them or not. I will mount these on the original wheels. I am giving Jasen back his Pirelli Rosso's he put on the Gixxer. But I will finish my GPAs before I go to the slicks.

Hope that answers the questions. Luckily I am old and slow so most tires will have limitless grip for me.:trust:

Thx for the detailed response. I ran the DOT GPAs on my GSXR. I agree they had excellent grip.

I haven't done track in 2 years. I'll need fresh rubber before I even consider doing it again as both sets of my current tires are shot. (And 2-3 years old / hard as well)

So....thinking of ordering some.

Awesome bike and I love the Rossi-esque "OldTLSDoug" sticker on the windshield! :)

Here's my Race Scoot... and my Number/Mascot:

30143238552_a5a6cf6287_z.jpg

30186673866_57bf6fd5e1_z.jpg

808... BOB... Get it? ;) Ahhhh... I crack myself up sometimes. ;)

Awesome bike and I love the Rossi-esque "OldTLSDoug" sticker on the windshield! :)808... BOB... Get it? ;) Ahhhh... I crack myself up sometimes. ;)

Nice scooter, I am by no means a racer, I just go to the track and play. I love the BOB.

Mitch, I don't need no meds, I have a motorcycle....:sun:

What kind of track bike should I get?

Just say "No" Mitch. Between the bike, the leathers, the track fee, and $400 in tires every 4 track days until you get fast and then every other track day after, it burns retirement money fast.

Crazy fun going fast, but the money goes fast too.

Maybe let's just go ride dirt for a while. I won't have to spend much money that way. Bob and Doug have dirt bikes too so they can join us.

Last edited:

Just say "No" Mitch.

Ha! @2WheelNut got me sucked into it... he must like you more. ;)

We've found that the GSXR750 is a pretty capable platform for us men "of a certain age". Good combination of performance on the tight & twisty tracks and the long and flowing tracks. :thumb:

Ha! @2WheelNut got me sucked into it... he must like you more. ;)

We've found that the GSXR750 is a pretty capable platform for us men "of a certain age". Good combination of performance on the tight & twisty tracks and the long and flowing tracks. :thumb:
Mitch says I'm a crack dealer. He may be right....

I am a Gixxer 750 fan as well. Mitch might not want a non-liter bike. But, a Supermotard, that would be a great adventure....

IMG_6348.jpg

Of course a TLR is a nice old guy scooter as well once you put about $7k in mods on it.

IMG_9168.jpg

Hmm. You'd be better off putting super moto wheels on that KTM 500. That could he lots of fun.

No ... I dontt want to work on it, just rub it with a diaper and make awesome motor noises.

Back