• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Water Temperature Sensor question

Reaction score
First Name
Miriam
Last Name
Hayes
I just got a Trailtech Vapor for my KLR 650 and decided to replace the stock water temperature sensor with the trailtech sensor (at first I tried to wire the Vapor lead into the yellow wire, but was told by Trailtech that it's a different type of sensor).

Then I realized (feared) that the bike needs the stock sensor in order to know when the fan needs to turn on..?

EDIT: I guess the fan switch/sensor is on the bottom of the radiator. So unrelated.

helps to know what you are working on.
fuel injected bikes need a temperature sensor for the system to adjust mixture to engine temps.

others have a warning light or a gauge.

on my ZRX I was happy to not have a idiot light so I replaced the stock switch with the sensor for the trail tech gauge.

I guess I am a bit slow here, but I can't actually see a question!!
You do not need to keep the stock sensor in to control the fan, it has its own switch located on the bottom of the radiator (you have seen that), if you want the vapor unit to show temp, you can either by the spark plug sensor (Screws in under the spark plug) or you can by the water temp sensor and replace the stock sensor with it (Confirm with Trailtech that they share the same thread size & pitch first), or you can cut your cooling hose and install the machined aluminium tube that holds the water temp sensor, or just not bother with the engine temp on the Vapor unit. I would just replace the stock sensor with the trailtech sensor if they are the same pitch and diameter, I would NOT recommend cutting the cooling hoses to install the trailtech coupling and sensor, as this usually causes leaks and issues later on!!

Gary

Last edited:
Back