• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

LEDs and bright sunlight

Reaction score
First Name
Miriam
Last Name
Hayes
trailtech_vapor1.jpg

So I finally got ver 1.0 beta of my Vapor dashboard replacement done on my KLR (good enough to ride). I failed to realize the LEDs I chose of neutral/high bean/turn signals are complete invisible in bright sunlight.

I had purchased the Vapor dash light kit, but didn't think the indicators were bright enough (oh well) so returned it.

I used these panel-mount LEDs from Mouser:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Produc...Evirtualkey64200000virtualkey642-Q14F1BXXG12E

I am floating the idea of maybe creating a sun cowl to try to shade the LEDs or maybe I just need brighter ones.

Ideas? Thoughts?

(Yes, that's a KTM Adventure headlight and windshield (extreme work in progress): http://imgur.com/a/3Mp7w )

One of those wall mounted file holders might work as a sun shade but they might be too brittle to last long. A black one or one of the smoke colored ones might work. It would provide some rain protection for the instruments also.

Depending on how those lights are put together, you may be able to take them apart and replace the LED unit itself. Probably more trouble than just replacing them whole-hog though.

I replaced the dash lights in my '83 GL1100 with LEDs and can still see it during the day easily. Granted, they're pointing at me, and not up at the sun.

Top-shelf quality LEDS can be found at SuperBrightLEDs.com. Please note you'll pay top-shelf prices too.
Another option is to find the number of the LEDS you want, and head to ebay and pick up the cheaper Chinese clones. Lower quality, but they're typically <1/4 the price.

Depending on how those lights are put together, you may be able to take them apart and replace the LED unit itself. Probably more trouble than just replacing them whole-hog though.

I replaced the dash lights in my '83 GL1100 with LEDs and can still see it during the day easily. Granted, they're pointing at me, and not up at the sun.

Top-shelf quality LEDS can be found at SuperBrightLEDs.com. Please note you'll pay top-shelf prices too.
Another option is to find the number of the LEDS you want, and head to ebay and pick up the cheaper Chinese clones. Lower quality, but they're typically <1/4 the price.

I'd love to pick up a set of incandecent bulb indicator lights (one green, one blue and two amber or yellow) and replace em with LED bubs myself but even those are proving hard to find. Most stuff on ebay is already using LEDs and I can't determine how bright they'll be because that's not listed on the technical specs.

I'm not seeing any indication of the LED unit itself on any of the ones I'm finding on eBay.

Ha! These might be too bright! With the lens, minimum 2800mcd I'd have to point them at something to avoid blinding myself. :sun:
A dab of silicon will diffuse the light quite well. So will a quick bout with some fine sand paper.

A dab of silicon will diffuse the light quite well. So will a quick bout with some fine sand paper.

Cool. I ordered a set of the 12mm bolt hole leds (turns out these are only 500mcd) which should be pretty good for the application without modifying the lens.

Thanks for your help!

Glad I could help! Good luck with your build

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Back