• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

cheap, dirt newb friendly, riding place near ATX

Reaction score
First Name
Neil
Curious if anyone can recommend a CHEAP, beginner/dirt newbie friendly, place to ride off road near ATX. I don't have land, or know anyone with land, around where I live now.

What I am not looking to do is MX, or learn to MX. What I would like to do is ride trail type bike CRF100/TTR125/etc to train for road racing. Similar to the TT Boot Camp where you ride with a knobbie front and street tire rear. Not looking for flat track, but a decent hard pack/dirt course without a crazy amount of jumps or trees to smack.

Also, would anyone have access to a big parking lot and want to setup a cone minigp style event?

Crooked Creek is one of the best beginner friendly places, and it is close in Texas terms - about 90 miles from Hutto...

The Emma Long trails are definitely not beginner friendly.

Hidden Falls motorcycle trails are not that friendly, but it has some friendly stuff if you stay off of the bike-only loops. The ATV trails are rocky but not too technical. The 4wd trails are sometimes impassable on a bike, but you can usually tell it's getting that way before it's too late. That's only 50 miles or so.

GSL Ranch might be good - they are north of San Antonio - never been myself but from what I've seen they would be good for easy riders.

Yep, Crooked Creek. they even have two easy tracks near the parking area. One is flat, oval and has two, maybe three "jumps", really just rises of about two feet, but you can go around them. It is not used much, just for the real beginners. The other track is also easy, but has bermed corners and humps that are more jump like.

10-4. I mostly am trying to avoid the "jumps" on the little trail bike lol. It probably wouldn't do well with all 190lbs of me on it. Sounds like Crooked Creek may be the ticket, although it sucks to haul a little bike 90 miles just to get some seat time.

If this is taboo to mention, then mods please feel free to delete. But what about the "Ikea" trails? I'm a relatively newer rider in the Austin area, and I've been taking my boys (11 & 5 yr old) out there a but lately. Its fun, relatively safe (except for 2 way nature), and close by...oh and free.

Thanks
CJB

^^ i believe I need some more info as I am unfamiliar with them lol - pm me if necessary

Best to keep the semi-legal places to Personal Messages (PM), but I have heard the Ikea trails, but haven't checked them out yet. Waiting for the heat to break...

Back