• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Newbie needs a beginner trail in the Houston area

Reaction score
New to dual sport/Adv riding, just bought a new KLR650 and want a short ( less than 5 miles) trail to get use to my bike and off road. Anyone know of a spot in or around the Houston area? Don't mind traveling to other parts of TX, anything is San Antonio or Austin?

New to dual sport/Adv riding, just bought a new KLR650 and want a short ( less than 5 miles) trail to get use to my bike and off road. Anyone know of a spot in or around the Houston area? Don't mind traveling to other parts of TX, anything is San Antonio or Austin?

Welcome to the forum! Just get out there and ride, hit some gravel roads north of you! :sun:

Not really in the Houston area, but here is a place you might want to plan a weekend trip to. Probably some trails there you would like. I would like to venture out there for a 2-3 day stay, if I could gather up some riding company to do it with me. Check out this website, to see what you think of it.

http://www.barnwellmountainra.com/index.php

I can't recommend Crooked Creek near Waco highly enough for beginners. It is still fun for experienced riders also, but the difficult sections are clearly marked and easy to avoid. Google Crooked Creek motorcycle and it should pull up.

I can't recommend Crooked Creek near Waco highly enough for beginners. It is still fun for experienced riders also, but the difficult sections are clearly marked and easy to avoid. Google Crooked Creek motorcycle and it should pull up.

I second Crooked Creek for beginners. Barnwell would be down my list for beginners.

I'm pretty new at DS myself - just bought a DR650 back in June and am searching for a local ride myself (Humble/KW area). Closest I've found for purely off pavement is all the way up in Corrigan where the ET450 passes thru but will keep looking for something closer. Let me know if you ever want to meet for a ride up there or if you find something closer.

I'm pretty new at DS myself - just bought a DR650 back in June and am searching for a local ride myself (Humble/KW area). Closest I've found for purely off pavement is all the way up in Corrigan where the ET450 passes thru but will keep looking for something closer. Let me know if you ever want to meet for a ride up there or if you find something closer.

I have the perfect place for both of you. Off road area that has some sand, forest trails and probably water and mud holes after our recent rains. Not a huge place but you could ride most of a day without repeating much. Not too technical but if deep sand is your nemesis you'll get a workout. Not very far north of Kingwood. Will not post location publicly but happy to show you around there and/or give directions by PM.

_

I found a pretty cool area between Porter & Kingwood but am hesitant to post it publically before researching the legality of it. No posted signs and a super huge area obviously popular with 4x4 drivers, though I saw no one else while there. Will do a bit of research and get back with details later...

I found a pretty cool area between Porter & Kingwood but am hesitant to post it publically before researching the legality of it. No posted signs and a super huge area obviously popular with 4x4 drivers, though I saw no one else while there. Will do a bit of research and get back with details later...
If you post it be prepared for it to go away quickly. Keep it word of mouth only to responsible riders and we might be able to enjoy it for years to come. Make it public info on the internet and almost a guarantee that it will die off. That's why I posted above like I did. I've already passed info on to a couple inquiries but will never post it openly.

_

Hidden Falls Adventure Park & Barnwell Mountain Recreational Area, but both are 3 + hours from Houston. I've seen a few dual-sports at Barnwell, but I ride offroad only so not sure how it would be for you.

Try this site...

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/texas_list.htm

Back