• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Paughco frames - any experience?

Chirpy

Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Tschoepe
I know, go post on a Harley board :-?

Just curious if anybody knows anything about them?

Appear really reasonably priced, and certainly look to be an established company. Are they junk, or a reasonable basis for a project?

First, I steal a 955, er, no, wrong board.

Okay.

Easy, I was taking inventory for eBay and found that I had all this...

F3 front end with triples
F3 Wheel with rotors
F2 rear wheel w/cush and 520 sprocket
04 stock peanut tank
04 XL stock fender

Hmmm, frame and a motor (and all the other stuff) and I'm there! Just thinking it would be something very different, more along the lines of a Confederate than OCC.

Kinda liked this frame at first, also the sheer irony of a Japanese frame was fun, but trying to figure out if it's worth $1000.00 more than a Paughco.

RC_PG.jpg

Hate being a rookie :angryfir:

If I was going to build an H-D clone, I would do a Softail more along the lines of a FatBoy. The hardtail frame just doesn't do it for me. Although I can see where it is much easier to build.

I know the square tube frame that was fabicated for the OCC Cobra Helicopter bike was done my a fab shop in OKC that is a few miles from my old office up there.

Oooohh, no no. Nice frame, hard tail good, could do without the forks though. I'm seeing inverted forks, disc wheels (courtesy Fat Boy), and a mean, massive, 500hp turbo 'Busa motor, donated by one of the many 'Busa pilots who got into a high-speed predicament (pre turbo). Straight-line terror my friend. :twisted:

Oh. and clip-ons instead of ape hangers....

Hmmmm,

Yes, if I wanted to do it easy I would order a "Bike in a Box" for $16K and have another wretched raked, stretched and chromed monstrosity that takes four lanes to turn around. No. I don't need a Harley clone, as I already have a Harley ;-)

Two or three things going on here. One, can I use all the parts I have laying around already? Swapping race bikes and such over the last few years it's either eBay all this crap or build something. Maybe I should just build the EX500 from **** instead...easier.

Two, how cheap can you build a bike? Right now it looks like the motor is a big variable. I think I can build the whole thing (minus motor) for less than a WCC set of wheels. A Paughco rigid Sporty frame is $700.00.

Third, I'm trying to build the anti-chopper. Normal rake, F3 front end, as little chrome as I can possibly get away with and possibly the graphite stealth paint off a 919 or a new VFR. Just because. More of a modern bobber than a "chopper" I guess.

But first I want to find out if the frame will crack in the mail...

Daryl

Nah, there's no fun in a "bike in a box". I definitely like where you're going, I've been toying with the idea of the of the antichopper myself. Actually, what we have in mind is what I think a real custom "chopper" should be. The term "chopper" actually came from guys who would "chop" body parts (on the bike) and other components to lighen their bikes and make them more functional. Like a "streetfighter", actually. I especially like the idea of a 4cyl chop, like the old CB750's, but with a modern motor. I also like raked forks, but not lengthened. Kind of a drag bike look.

I just want to build something bad-a** out of bits 'n' pieces, and the idea of the sport bike and cruiser worlds colliding just makes me giddy. :mrgreen:

You can find hard or soft tail frames without the springer forks or running gear.

What would be neat is if you could find a sporting twin (Honda, Ducati, Apilia) to go into the frame and build it kinda like a Speed Triple naked type of bike except with the V-Twin. Even something like an old Honda Sabre type of style.

That way you could always hold it out there as a "proper V-Twin hoolie bike" :mrgreen:

Well,

Actually the fall back is too buy a cheap Shadow Spirit 750, put on the F3 front end, make the F2 rear work, and then "bob" it until no one recognizes it as a Honda. Then thrash the crap out of it having a blast!

Actually, this is looking like a far more rational alternative at the moment. :-? Maybe I should rethink this whole thing, again.

As to a modern CB750 chopper, Denny Berg has already done it. Beautifully I might add.

Oh, to be single with all the time in the world again.

Sigh,

Daryl

No rule that says you have to do it like Denny. In fact, he made a couple of mistakes as I see it.
IMO, a rigid calls for a springer. Preferably an inverted springer from Jeri's Springer. Also, a 'glass gas tank?
All that said, in answer to your original question, I know a few builders who swear by Paughco frames.

Flyrite Choppers here in Austin is geared towards more bare bones type bikes may be a good place to shop for a frame. They are a anti-billet type of shop

hey Uber,
I thought you and I were going to join together and rule the world.Now you are going to diss me with this project? Where is the love?When are going to find the time to sack rattlesnakes for this years roundup?Please no sarcasm in your response if you so chose.

Thanks for the Flyrite info, they look like we're thinking the same way...

Huh, I thought I was going to rule the world solo!

Notice that all of this is in the realm of "talk is cheap" at the moment. The kids have been keeping the house pretty locked down. Action on any of it will wait for...

a) Selling the SVR
b) Getting at least one kid potty trained
c) Selling a 919 that is a really long story

Then I can try to figure out what project is next.

Although it looks like I might start getting Tuesday or Thursday weekly kitchen passes :chug: Have you heard about the new Tuesday sportbike nights? Ever been?

Whoh, did I just hijack my own thread?

uberhawk said:
Actually the fall back is too buy a cheap Shadow Spirit 750, put on the F3 front end, make the F2 rear work, and then "bob" it until no one recognizes it as a Honda. Then thrash the crap out of it having a blast!
Hmmm, that actually sounds really cool...
uberhawk said:
As to a modern CB750 chopper, Denny Berg has already done it. Beautifully I might add.
Yea, seen that one, pretty sweet other than the color...

But, what I meant was a modern equivalent, using todays technology; power via gixxer, R1 or other potential dyno burner. The CB750 back then was badness, but not so much anymore... ;-)

uberhawk said:
Although it looks like I might start getting Tuesday or Thursday weekly kitchen passes :chug: Have you heard about the new Tuesday sportbike nights? Ever been?
Where is this? Squid central I'll bet though...

Another good place for custom stuff is Voodoo Customs but they are more into the higher end customs than Flyrite

It is a Woods Fun Center sponsored Sportbike night at the Lakeline Hooters.
Of course, Woods website isn't worth a crap, so the image is the only thing that I have seen on it. It was posted in a Yahoo Group email. No other links on the site.

Link to flyer image

From what I gathered from the original email, it is suppose to be a regular bike night.

Maybe we should go this week to see?

Thinking about it...supposed to be every Tuesday.

As to using a "modern" sportbike motor...there's a reason they're buried under plastic. They are horribly ugly. They have radiators.

Did I mention that they are ugly? Take a look at this 919 I'm prepping to sell. Egads, a naked motor should at least be run by a stylist to be hung out in view, ala ZRX or something. I just think a chopped R1 would be so ugly no one would care.

Besides, I'm a big beleiver in "More fun to ride a slow bike fast" yadda yadda. An R1 chop would be kinda scary.

Besides, do you know how built a Harley you have to have to equal that 80HP Nighthawk motor?

Found a site that talks about swapping Spirit wheels, so it looks pretty straight forward. Hmmmmm.

Gotta get the SV sold.

uberhawk said:
As to using a "modern" sportbike motor...there's a reason they're buried under plastic. They are horribly ugly. They have radiators.

Did I mention that they are ugly? Take a look at this 919 I'm prepping to sell. Egads, a naked motor should at least be run by a stylist to be hung out in view, ala ZRX or something. I just think a chopped R1 would be so ugly no one would care.

Hmmm, this is where we part. I'm one of those people who likes houses with exposed framing, ductwork and concrete floors, fine art potography of gears and industrial components... I'm partial to exposing the the function and struture of a machine, especially machines with muscle. You have to take a different design approach with the rest of the bike though, edgy styling with very little plastic or "pretty" components.

That said, how about the early GSXR based 1200 Bandit motor? Still modern and quite attractive IMHO. It's not hard to get 150 hp/ 100lb-ft out of them. The ZRX is another good one, although maybe too plain.

Hmmm,

Gears have symmetry and form. Exposed ductwork usually does too. Most "modern" motors are cubes with hoses sticking out. Nothing for your eye to grab and follow. So you can't decide where to look on the bike, unless the body work is extra swoopy to give your eye something to follow, ala Tuono. IMHO

Bandit ZRX motor would probably work, as they have finning for the eye to follow going from front to back on the bike. Although I'm still not sure how ridable a 140HP chop would be..

I'd rather do a bobber style bike. But I may wimp out and just buy a black DRZ-SM :twisted:

This kit looks interesting to me as far as a harley type build, but the price tag is tad over the top. It would be one vibrating bone rattling beast though, that revtech motor is 115hp and 120ft lbs of torque.

Should be able to buy the santee frame though.

vbike_02.gif

Back