• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Spring Fling Camp and ride at Ghost Rancho, March 17-19

Most likely will be a mountain kitty. Been almost two years since I seen one out there. Killed about a dozen of mine before it moves on. One of my guard dogs is missing.

I'll come prepared for close quarters defense. What about the llama? Do I have to worry about him sneaking up on me too? In fact, are you sure it wasn't him doing this? :rofl:

Haven't packed yet, but plan to start at noon and leave as soon as I think I'm overloaded.

Made it to Ghost Ranch and BigDave did nor run me over.
4dfb58ea25febcbafe87158a4167d397.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Misting down here. Kind of sucks. I have brand new Shinko 705's on the bike. Get to break them in on wet roads. I predict a slower pace than normal. And the gear is stacked, but not packed yet. Well, camera and beer are still not by the bike.

Still at work I'll head down there first thing in the morning and the route I have planned out from Dallas shows 3 hours. If I leave on time that'll put me in on the Ghost Ranch around lunch time.

Last edited:
Made it back to the house on Tammy's 650 BMW, as I had some weird noise in the rear drive on the Guzzi. Will fix when I get back to the ranch in the morning. Dang that BMW seat is harder than the Corbin on the Goose. Guess I would need to grow more butt if I was going to ride one of them very much.

Had a great time! Thanks Ghost for the hospitality and wonderful food. It was great seeing everyone and thanks M38A1 for the fatties this morning.

Enjoyed my stay. Always learn something new and worthy at the ranch. The ride home was pretty good… while it lasted. I'm afraid my beloved Strom ran out on me just as I got into Burnet. Waited several hours for the first tow 15 miles down the road to the local Autozone. Determined it was a charging issue, nothing $400.00 (for the second tow) and 10 hours in my leathers couldn't cure. Get some.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoyed my stay. Always learn something new and worthy at the ranch. The ride home was pretty good… while it lasted. I'm afraid my beloved Strom ran out on me just as I got into Burnet. Waited several hours for the first tow 15 miles down the road to the local Autozone. Determined it was a charging issue, nothing $400.00 (for the second tow) and 10 hours in my leathers couldn't cure. Get some.

Wow. Sorry you had so much trouble. My Strom had charging issues also. Hope all worked out:chug:

Had a great time ! ! ! Thanks Ghost for putting these get togethers on my friend. Glad everyone made it home ok, even with a tow ! :eek2:
It's aways great to meet new rides. Ghost out did himself on those pork chops. Top rate ! ! ! Scott, your fatty's were awesome as well and the jelly just made them better.

Thanks Dody for a great weekend.... Man those pork ribeyes are good. :eat:

Well, its not an adventure until something goes wrong. As problems go, it could have been worse. Nice meeting you, get that Strom fixed and get back out there.

Stator failure I bet. Seems to be an issue on the newer Stroms. :giveup:

Suzy's only footn the bill on 012-16 DL650... my 011 stator bit the big one & I hadta foot the bill..... wonder how many others out there hav had the same with their 1st gen later year 650s...???

I seemta remember Suzy increasin the wattage output somewhere round 08-09...& that coulda put the system closer to its limits..

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

IIRC, Up to 07 they were putting out 375 watts. That would leave you around 100-125 watts for goodies. Starting in 08 they bumped those numbers up to 400 watts. I don't think it's really an issue of the extra juice they are putting out. I'd guess that as with the old oil burning Bandits (switched piston suppliers and oil control holes were drilled in wrong spot) when those went ot 2nd Gen they switched parts suppliers or the like and got a huge batch of sub par parts.

In this case it's not necessarily the stators burning up but the magnets coming off the rotor due to subpar manufacturing.

I do believe that many have burnt out as well but when you use a shunt type regulating system you're going to build up heat and that heat has to go somewhere. I experienced this problem on my BMW F800ST. The stator looked like a hunk of charcoal when I pulled it out of the bike. Very little cooling oil gets to it and it generates a lot of heat. BMW never warrantied or recalled the problem but came out with a mid year part number change and discontinued the old part number. All they did was take the rotor and machine a bunch of holes in the back of it to increase air/oil flow over the stator. That fixed the problem but as is par for the course with BMW they always claimed there was never a problem to start with. And of course you couldn't just buy the rotor as BMW claimed the stator and rotor were a "matched set". And again being BMW the parts to fix their problem cost right at 1000 dollars. Same thing as they did on that same bike when the rear axle and pulley bearings were eating themselves alive. They changed the service manual instructions and IIRC a few part numbers and if you had to replace everything back there it was 1000 dollars again.

Never had a minits prob with my 04 or 06..... 80+K on both when sold & runnin great..... ask Rhodyne about the 06
Same reg/rect on those I think

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

I'm not saying you should have.

I'd have to look at the parts Fische to see if the regs are the same between the gens. I have no doubt they are. That 25 watt boost in power output may have put the bikes over the top of what the system could handle. And from what I've found you can swap older parts into the newer bikes if you want to decrease output. Or switch to a series regulator.

Suzuki has never been known for having awesome charging systems.

I guess what I was getting at with all my rambling is that at least Suzuki, unlike some other manuf. will admit there's a problem and go to the plate for the consumer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back