• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Advice for 16 yo First Motorcycle

drfood

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
Gerdes
I am willing to bet the opinions will be all over the place on this one, but I need to ask advice.

Jay and I are uncles in spirit to a very good friend of ours son. Long story I won't go into here, but he looks up to us for advice on a lot of things. He has seen all of our pictures and heard all of our stories about our adventures on the motorcycles over the years. When we were there for state fair and Thanksgiving he announced he wants a motorcycle for his birthday. He is turning 16 on January 1. We're not going to buy it, we don't make nearly as much money as his parents do, so they are footing the bill for it. We will be his riding buddies once he gets the course completed and his license.

We need to pieces of advice--

1. Where in Dallas would you recommend a 16 yo take the Motorcycle Safety Course?
  2. Which motorcycle would you recommend? I really do not want him on anything that even resembles a sport bike because he will get crazy ideas in his head like all 16 yo boys do.

Thoughts? Advice?

Before suggesting a bike, I would ask if he has any prior experience riding a motorcycle? My daughter has ridden dirt bikes since she was 7 and when she turned 16 we got her a Road legal crf250x, it has a top speed of 75mph so not too fast but can keep up with most traffic, it’s a dirt bike so if she drops it, it won’t shatter and cost thousands to repair. It was very cheap to insure and it has great brakes, plus she can ride dirt with us when she wants. It was a great bike for her, but I would not recommend one if your friends son has never ridden a bike before as they are quite quick for a first bike, but a great starter bike if he has ridden before.

I agree with Thrasher... Experience should be the better determiner.

Nothing says rugged like a good small CC dual sport and the upside is if you buy it used a little while later, if he wants to upgrade, then he can probably sell it for pretty close to what he bought it for and trade up some. I think if he is looking at road bikes I'd really avoid the idea of buying something like the 300CC Supersport mini clones that are all the rage now days. I'm not sure it's a good learner bike for what you are getting. Sure its low on power and not to high speed, but if you drop one it's going to cost a lot to fix still, but anything bigger than 650 CC's is just asking for a whole range of issues (and even around 450 you can still bust 100 mph so there is that). I'm sure being 16 he's either looking at Supermoto's or sport bikes.... Hopefully you can talk him into a logical choice and he'll be able to ride a little, gain some more experience (more is always better when it comes to riding, most certainly), and then move upwards from there.

:tab This is a tough one. I doubt I would have survived a bike at 16. The temptation to go fast combined with that false sense of invulnerability would likely have just been too much. It was bad enough just with driving cars/trucks.

:tab If you know for a fact he will be riding on the street, then I would suggest something like a Suzuki GS500 (without the fairings). I don't know how tall he is, but the seat height on these is relatively low, so not intimidating. These bikes will run highway speeds, but they are not rockets. They are inexpensive. The same is true for case guards, brake levers, and clutch levers. You can put a wind screen on them for very little money. You can even throw bags on them and tour if you want. Suspension is SOFT, so if he weighs very much, new springs and heavier fork oil might be in order, but that is cheap to do.

:tab Buy used. The bike will get dropped and damaged. There's no point in eating that expense on a new bike. Buy naked and install guards where possible. That will minimize damage and cost, which can have a seriously negative impact on the experience for new riders!!

:tab But really, the bike is not the main issue.

:tab I would REALLY emphasize that taking and passing the MSF course basically qualifies you to ride around in a parking lot. To that end, I would strongly suggest sticking to big empty parking lots for a while to work on basic control skills like shifting coordination, starting and stopping, panic braking, turning, swerving, etc,... It is really best to get those things down at relatively low speeds in a predictable environment. Once you feel he's got those basics down and has created some muscle memory for operating the bike, THEN you take him out on some empty back roads so he can get used to higher speeds.

:tab The idea is that you don't want the new rider to be concentrating on those basic control issues while at the same time trying to deal with all the stuff going on around him in traffic. A rider only has so much attention to spread among doing various tasks and monitoring and reacting to his environment. Speed only makes this worse until the new rider learns what can safely be ignored and what actually requires his attention. With experience, the rider learns to focus on what really matters. They learn to relax.

:tab If you have the opportunity, I would take him on some rides. I would also use communicators so you can talk with him about what you are doing during the ride. I do this a LOT with my kids. We talk about the road conditions, what is around us, other vehicles, potential danger areas like intersections and parking lots, common threats to look for while riding, proper lines through a corner, when to brake, when to get back on the gas, how to lean the bike, and basically anything else I can think of that has to do with safely operating a bike under all kinds of conditions. They get used to the sensations of the bike, leaning, braking, accelerating, etc,... So that is not new to them when they are in control of their own bike. I also show them that you don't have to run at break neck speeds to have fun. They all ride dirt bikes as well, so they do get to put some of what they are learning to use. I even talk to them about this kind of stuff when we are driving. Ideally, when they finally get to the point where they are driving or riding on the street, a good foundation will have been laid.

:tab When you ride with the new rider on the street, it is usually best to let the new rider lead. I will say that again, let the new rider lead! I know there are some that would say new riders should follow so they can observe the more experienced rider. That might be good for limited cases where you are trying to show them something specific. However, I have found that even when intending to ride slower, experienced riders will often tend to creep up to their normal "relaxed" pace without even realizing it. That pace is often FAR faster than the pace at which new riders might be comfortable. Not wanting to fall behind or disappoint experienced riders, new riders will often ride over their abilities. That rarely ends well and can scare new riders to the point that they either develop bad coping habits or just quit riding altogether. If the experienced riders follow, AND keep a good following distance so the new riders don't feel pushed, the new riders are better able to run a comfortable pace. I have seen this a LOT over the years and have seen too many riders get hurt as a result.

:tab I also cannot stress strongly enough the importance of being able to communicate to a new rider. I have taught riders without communicators and with. There is NO comparison in the experiences. Being able to communicate while a new rider is in the middle of performing some skill or following instructions makes a HUGE difference in the experience for teacher and student alike. This is especially true where the teacher sees the student slipping into a panic. Being able to communicate calmly allows the teacher to refocus the student or to talk them through something. I have found this really nice while working with my kids on their dirt bikes. Trying to yell at them from a distance while they are freaking out just doesn't work.

:tab New riders often worry a lot about being "fast". I stress the idea with new riders that they should not be focusing on being fast. Instead, they should focus on being smooth and relaxed. If they are scaring themselves by riding over their abilities in an attempt to be fast, they will get tense. If they are tense, they will not be smooth. If they are not smooth, they are likely upsetting the bike. This make them tense... and it just feeds back into the loop. If they focus on proper execution and smoothness, their skills will truly improve and they will become fast as a byproduct. If they push hard in an attempt to go fast, they will likely scare themselves badly a few times, which can create an artificial and sometimes permanent limit on their peak skill level. Listen to the top racers, on pavement or dirt, and they all talk about the importance of being smooth... "like butter!" ;-)

:tab Good reading material:

- Keith Code: Twist of the Wrist Vol. II

:tab The stuff about survival reactions versus proper reactions is invaluable. Also some great exercises for developing good visual skills. There is a Vol. I, and it is good, but it is more track oriented.

- David Hough:

Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well

and,

Street Strategies: A Survival Guide for Motorcyclists

:tab All of these are great bathroom books! They cover all manner of issues relating to controlling the bike and also common threats to riders and how to deal with them. I read them all, more than once. Rereading them every few years is not a bad idea even for experienced riders. There have been more than a few occasions where something in every one of those books saved me because it popped into my head when it was most needed!

I agree with the others above. Need more info. Has he rode before,what was it and how tall and large/small is he? Would not recommend anything too tall for a beginner. A lower seat height will build confidence while he's learning. And something lighter so if he makes a mistake is easier to save. Just my 2 cents.

I like the idea of a dual sport bike. Gives him a chance to hooligan offroad in a controlled environment and be safe on the road. A mentor to ride with in the area is good too.

I like the idea of a dual sport bike. Gives him a chance to hooligan offroad in a controlled environment and be safe on the road. A mentor to ride with in the area is good too.

And if fitted with proper handguards, can be dropped with little to no consequences. Don't ask me how many clutch and brake levers I replaced before age 20 :mrgreen:.

Thanks for all of the input so far.

• They live in the Preston Forest area of Dallas so it's pretty central.
  • He is definitely open to the idea of a dual sport, just not too much of a dual sport if you know what I mean.
  • His dad keeps saying he should look at the new BMW 300. I tell his dad that there is such thing as more money than sense when choosing material things. Of course his dad changes expensive toys like he changes his underwear. :rofl:
  • He has zero riding experience. Heck he's just learning to drive (we won't even go there on that one).
  • He's about 5'7" or 5'8" and weighs about 140ish soaking wet.

We've already told him he gets full gear, head to toe, and if not no riding.

I like the idea of having him ride on the back with me or Jay with the communicator. Definitely a place to start.

Fortunately I think we have until summer to get things all sorted out before he gets too pushy. 10th grade is kicking his butt and he has to have a 4.0 at the end of the year or his mom told him no motorcycle.

Keep the thoughts and ideas coming. Definitely a lot to digest. Neither of us thought we would ever be mentoring a 16th yo boy into the world of motorcycles.

I agree with Woodbutcher. I bought my son an xt225 when he was 16 along with an Xt 600 for myself. I saw both bikes for sale in someone’s yard and bought them on the spot. Needless to say, my wife and son were both very surprised when I pulled in the driveway. We both took the MSF course together and began riding dual sport events together, both of us learning at the same time while listening to more experienced riders that we rode with. The XT was great(the 225) as a learner because it was street legal, low seat height and low power though it would run highway speeds. My son is now 24 and his ride of choice is street rather than dual sport ( a Honda rebel 500). He is a good rider and if he ends up getting a sport bike :eek2:, I feel better about his being a responsible rider now that he has 8 years riding under his belt.

Thanks for all of the input so far.

• They live in the Preston Forest area of Dallas so it's pretty central.
  • He is definitely open to the idea of a dual sport, just not too much of a dual sport if you know what I mean.
  • His dad keeps saying he should look at the new BMW 300. I tell his dad that there is such thing as more money than sense when choosing material things. Of course his dad changes expensive toys like he changes his underwear. :rofl:
  • He has zero riding experience. Heck he's just learning to drive (we won't even go there on that one).
  • He's about 5'7" or 5'8" and weighs about 140ish soaking wet.

I like the idea of having him ride on the back with me or Jay with the communicator. Definitely a place to start.

Fortunately I think we have until summer to get things all sorted out before he gets too pushy. 10th grade is kicking his butt and he has to have a 4.0 at the end of the year or his mom told him no motorcycle.

Keep the thoughts and ideas coming. Definitely a lot to digest. Neither of us thought we would ever be mentoring a 16th yo boy into the world of motorcycles.

Suzuki DR200 or 350
Kawasaki Klx250
Honda 250
Or like above the Yamaha all good starter as well as seasoned bikes.

Learning to ride in the dirt first makes for a better street rider later in my opinion. Speeds are usually slower and the consequences of mistakes less severe.

Quality gear is a must, on dirt or the street.

Darrell, when I was young (18ish), a friend was impressed with my Kawa 500 and wanted one for himself. He got one and a week later was killed on it. It was real hard for me since it was me that had really lead him to it.

I don't want you to go through that. Instead I recommend being the safety advisor, the guy who insists that if he/she is going to do it, then do it right. I might back off helping choose other than answering honestly about different bikes.

This may seem like a wet blanket but the hurt is still there after all these decades.

My son started on a Yamaha XV250. It is a small cruiser style bike. Very easy to ride. He took the MSF beginner course on it and then rode it for almost a year before graduating to a Honda CB500X. The CB was a great bike to transition him from the small underpowered 250 to bigger faster bikes. It was full sized but not too heavy and capable of going fast enough. He rode that for a year and a half and got very skilled on it. Recently he move up to an FZ09 that we found on this site. He loves it. He rides very responsibly for a 17 year old. Always wears gear and has not been pulled over yet. It helps that he broke in group riding with some of my "old guy" buddies that have been riding for decades. Good peer pressure from those guys definitely steered him in the right direction.

I thought you couldn’t ride anything bigger than 250cc until you are 18 in Texas? How is he riding a CB500 and FZ09 at 17? My daughter wants a CB500 but we thought she had to turn 18 before she could ride one? Have I misunderstood the law?

Regards Gary

I thought you couldn’t ride anything bigger than 250cc until you are 18 in Texas? How is he riding a CB500 and FZ09 at 17? My daughter wants a CB500 but we thought she had to turn 18 before she could ride one? Have I misunderstood the law?

Regards Gary
Copied from
TEXAS DEPARTMENT PUBLIC SAFETY
Motorcycle and Moped Licenses

Application Requirements for Minors
Applicants must be at least 15 years of age and may be restricted to operating a motorcycle with no more than a 250 cubic centimeter piston displacement. This restriction can be removed on the applicants 16th birthday.

Not in Texas.

I think you have a good plan here. My son's motorcycle use since he started riding has been grade and chore dependent. He did all of his first 2 years of riding with me or my buddies. Steered him away from squids his own age. As you know when you get two or more of them together the chance for bad things to happen goes up exponentially.

Versys-X 300 would be a good starter bike. It could be used for light duty adventure riding on dirt roads and then graduate to pavement. Has a lower seat height than WR250r, CRF250l, KLX250 and is easier on the pocket book than the BMW 300.

What about an old ducati monster...he could spend all of his time adjusting the valves instead of learning how to do wheelies?

If it were my kid and it may be in 10 years, I'd say not under my roof buddy...and if pushed (and shoved and begged and he gets my wife to gang up on me), I might cave with a small dual sport that was more dirt than street and push for more dirt rides.

FWIW my first bike at 27 was the gs500 as tourmeister recommended, but they haven't made an unfaired one for more than a decade. That bike taught at least 5 people how to ride motorcycles and was dropped as many times.

My very first time popping the clutch though was on an 198x 400cc dirt bike and it ate pavement and dirt and sand ALOT those first couple of days...

KLX250S. Fast enough for light highway, off road capable, legal dual sport, $2500 in perfect shape, sell for same as you pay in 1 to 2 years.

P

Start with something he has to work on all the time so he can learn more that way and he won't be so hard on it.

KLX250S. Fast enough for light highway, off road capable, legal dual sport, $2500 in perfect shape, sell for same as you pay in 1 to 2 years.

P

Totally agree. If he's on the shorter side, maybe swap it with an XT250 (bit lower, they got EFI a few years ago while the KLX just got it, but also seem to be more expensive). Either one is mild mannered, has enough power to keep pace on the highway but not much more, and are actually pretty competent off road bikes. Honda's 250L commands a lot more money, and is substantially heavier which really hampers it off road.

The best way to learn riding and bike handling skills is off pavement, away from traffic. Pick up a KLX/XT, and don't even plate it until decent enough skills have been demonstrated. If he can get it down a trail without looking like a spaz, the MSF course and road riding will be cake in comparison.

I've taken some 10-20 year streetbike veterans on a KLX250 for their first ever trail ride and I've seen better (and faster) trail riding from 10 year olds. Meanwhile when kids start on dirt and graduate to a streetbike at 16, it's always a lot easier than vice versa.

I agree with Shadman about MSF, but I'd say grab a street legal DR200 or street legal CRF230. Even cheaper options.

Back