• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A little more leg room

Although I haven't tried this yet, you may be able to get past the shifter problem with the help of a local machine shop.
I think (anyone, please jump in here if you disagree) all you need is a slightly longer shaft between the 2 shifter arms. 1/2-3/4" would probably fix it.
Find a machine shop and ask them to thread a piece of metal rod a bit longer than the stock piece to fit the ball joints and it's done. The cost would be minimal. Just remember that one end will have left-hand threads.

Although I haven't tried this yet, you may be able to get past the shifter problem with the help of a local machine shop.
I think (anyone, please jump in here if you disagree) all you need is a slightly longer shaft between the 2 shifter arms. 1/2-3/4" would probably fix it.
Find a machine shop and ask them to thread a piece of metal rod a bit longer than the stock piece to fit the ball joints and it's done. The cost would be minimal. Just remember that one end will have left-hand threads.

I was thinking about that very thing this morn. I hear ya on the left hand thread, I put em back stock for now, Cant stand for anything to be not quite right,

i had repositioned the top lever on the shaft, and adjusted the link rod.
it made no difference. the root problem is not the height of the toe of the shifter, but the lack of clearance between it and the peg.
i wear size 8.

adjusting the toe high, allowed foot to fit, but the total movement of my foot to get to it then is an issue that is unresolvable, save for cutting and shortening the lever.

the other option, is to create some sort of lowering link, to allow the peg perch to remain upright, but lower it.

the brake side, was livable, but cramped also.

the only solution that seemed appropriate without cutting, welding, or remanufacturing parts, was to return it all back to normal.

which is what i did.

i had repositioned the top lever on the shaft, and adjusted the link rod.
it made no difference. the root problem is not the height of the toe of the shifter, but the lack of clearance between it and the peg.
i wear size 8.

adjusting the toe high, allowed foot to fit, but the total movement of my foot to get to it then is an issue that is unresolvable, save for cutting and shortening the lever.

the other option, is to create some sort of lowering link, to allow the peg perch to remain upright, but lower it.

the brake side, was livable, but cramped also.

the only solution that seemed appropriate without cutting, welding, or remanufacturing parts, was to return it all back to normal.

which is what i did.

I am quite happy with my lowered pegs and re-adjusted shifter compared to what it was, but it could be improved and one of my projects that I want to do is to design up a complete new set of billet peg mounts that will move the mounting holes for the foot peg brackets down, but not forward, with some adjustablilty to them also in the form of several mounting hole locations. Stay tuned. :rider:

Yaa! Bring on those billet pegs. I am looking forward to seeing those.

Mike

I'm going to take one of the footpeg brackets off today and take some measurements of it so I can start drawing up the new brackets using my Inventor 3D drafting software.

I'm thinking that I will make them out 3/8" aluminum plate with similar cutouts for the heel guard section to keep the weight down, and I am going to change the shape of the heel guards to give them more of a high tech look. :rider:

Well I just finished reverse engineering the left side stock footpeg bracket, and now I am going to play around with the location of the footpeg mounting hole and I going to see if I can possibly use a set of the fully adjustable footpegs from Lockhart Phillips on my new brackets also.

Tomorrow I will pull the right footpeg bracket and draw it up, as it is differant due to the rear brake master cylinder bolts to it. :rider:

Footpegbrackets.jpg

Adjustablefootpegs.jpg

Those L-P pegs look pretty cool but being ridgid mount could cause trouble for ground clearance. Pretty solid lever point there especially if lowered much.
I might order another lower shift arm and modify it to fit a little better with the rotated stock mounts ; I need to move my feet forward a little 'cuz my wife wants her pegs moved quite a bit. THAT will be a tricky project , but I have some ideas
Pictures at 11

Well I started to think after I drew up my footpeg brackets, that why do I want to make them look a lot like the stock brackets, so I changed the shape of the left side bracket, and this design runs parallel to the angle of the swing arm and the chain, and it actually covers up more of the chain then the stock bracket does. It also allows me much easier access to the preload adjuster on my Works shock.

I printed it out and glued it to a piece of heavy manilla folder paper, then cut it out and the mounting holes out so I could bolt it up to my bike and see what it will look like, and I think it looks better than the stock bracket does, as it really opens up that area of the bike not having the stock bracket sticking up at an angle like it does. :rider:

Buell XB Lightning footpegs installed on '08 Bandit this past week. Lowers a little over an inch and slightly more rearset. Fits my size 12 feet perfectly, and heel guard on Yoshimura prevents contact with the midpipe.

Attachments

• P4070018.jpg
    P4070018.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 333
  • P4070019.jpg
    P4070019.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 326
  • P4070020.jpg
    P4070020.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 328
  • P4070021.jpg
    P4070021.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 313
Buell XB Lightning footpegs installed on '08 Bandit this past week. Lowers a little over an inch and slightly more rearset. Fits my size 12 feet perfectly, and heel guard on Yoshimura prevents contact with the midpipe.

Do the Buell footpegs fit right into the stock pivot brackets, and how much were they?

tried doing the footpeg reversal to-----12 1/2 foot here so it dont work!!!!!!!
Those Buell pegs look like my kind of stuff

rworm
OH yea,i am glad i dont have LITTLE FEET:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well I am still refining the shape of the left footpeg bracket, and I have whittled the size down even more as well as changing the angle of it a little and I believe that this is probably the design I am going to go with, as after carefully checking what is really needed, it doesn't need to be any bigger than this.

Instead of the top section the heal guard being parallel to the swing arm angle as was the last design, it is now is a couple of degrees up from horizontal when mounted on the bike.

Those are 3 ball mill grooves at the top, and I think that I will paint the bracket with the semi-gloss black paint I have been using, and carefully apply a release agent to the ball mill grooves so that the paint won't stick down in the grooves, so that they will stay aluminum color for a nice contrast. :rider:

Footpegbracket1.jpg

Thanks for the pics. Do you notice more vibration than stock? Without rubber inserts and the weight stuck to the bottom (as per stock) this might be an issue?

Looks like a neater solution than rotating the stock brackets, though.

Thanks for the pics. Do you notice more vibration than stock? Without rubber inserts and the weight stuck to the bottom (as per stock) this might be an issue?

Looks like a neater solution than rotating the stock brackets, though.

I haven't made the new brackets yet so I don't know what eliminating the rubber bushings will do to as far as vibration is concerned.

So before I commit to making them without the bushings, I am going to install some flat washers on each side of the rubber bushings effectively making the attachment rigid as if there were no bushings and ride it around and see if leaving them out will cause an unacceptable increase in the amount of vibration in the pegs. :rider:

The Buell footpegs are $25.75 a set (part #N0006.1AD) and very little vibration is felt thru the pegs, if any. All the modification to fit these were done to the pegs only, and can easily be swapped back to the stock ones in just a minute or two if desired.

The Buell pegs are aluminum and measure .965" wide and the Bandit mounting location is only .900" wide. So they had to be ground/filed/sanded to fit within the stock mounting bracket. Buell uses a .437" pin versus the .312" Suzuki pin. I opted to sleeve down the Buell diameter rather than open up the Suzuki mounting hole size. I wanted to keep it so I could easily put the stock pegs back on. The local hardware stores carry stainless and brass tubing in various diameters and 1' lengths. I found a stainless one with the correct .437"OD, a brass tube with the correct .312"ID, and another brass tube with the correct diameters to combine the other two. They all fit snugly inside one-another perfectly. Using Buell footpeg springs is necessary due to the larger diameter, springs are left and right hand, and used on all XB Firebolt and Lightning models. Once ground to the correct size and sleeves fitted the pegs will require material removed where they make contact at the stops, probably about .040" to .050" or until they fit perpendicular to the bike. Finally, adjust shifter linkage and brake pedal to your liking and enjoy.

One personal note, this is the 5th bike of mine that I have lowered the footpegs using Buell parts. As I never stand on the pegs I can't vouch for their strength, especially after grinding over .065" off the top surface. I see no strength issue otherwise, and would recommend persuing some other option such as flipping the stock pegs or fabbing lowered peg carriers depending upon your intended use.

One more small detail...before you can ride away the side stand tang must be modified or removed. I put a small propane torch to mine about 1/2" above the weld and bent it until parellel with the footpeg and shifter rubber with stand in the up position. Didn't want to lose the ease in which the stand can be raised or lowered.

Last edited:
El Bandito,

A while back I posted a link somewhere on here showing a set of peg extensions, I'll attach it again below. They are very similar to the LP parts with one exception, they aren't solid mount. No danger of levering the bike off its tire in a corner.
With your access to and skill using machining tools I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble making a set.

http://www.whaccessories.com/GSGFootPegLowerKit.jpg

Anyone found a solution to the high rear passenger pegs? wife said they are too high and hit cramps hers knees, she is 5'2" tall:doh:

I've seen adapters for the Concours 14 but nothing for the Bandits. I have the Leo Vince slip-on so I have room to drop since the Leo is way smaller than the OEM can.

Roy,

With your smaller pipe, these may work with some minor mods. They are the same as the Concours parts.

http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=31

With the stock pipe, I'm going to try a set of Kuryakyn offset mounts. I'm expecting to have to modify the female portion of the mount slightly to make them work. They are on backorder from my dealer for now but once they arrive I'll report back to everyone.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=3595

I just finished drawing up my new right side footpeg/master cylinder bracket.

After looking at the right side bracket I determined that there is no real need for much of a heal guard on that side, so I decided to make the bracket much smaller so that it will actually show off more of the master cylinder, which I plan on taking off and fully polishing the outside of it, and replacing the black rubber supply line with a piece of S/S braided hose, and eventually a new S/S braided rear brake line.

I am also going to replace the stock mechanical brake light switch with a banjo bolt that has the switch built into it.

I made the shape of the right side bracket to match the left side bracket along with the same 3 ball mill grooves. I plan on milling both of them up on the CNC mill at college in the next couple of weeks. :rider:

Rightsidefootpegbracket.jpg

Back