• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mixing AVGAS?

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
So I've got about 3 gallons of 100LL AVGAS from my old DR350SE project. It's probably pushing 1.5yrs old. Commercial flight use would dictate disposal, yet from what I'm reading there's generally a couple year shelf life with no measurable degradation.

My old 1953 Jeep has an empty tank at the moment (which explains the sputter the other day - doh!) I was wondering if it would be a good thing/bad thing or somewhere in the middle to mix that 3 gallons with 5 gallons of premium unleaded from the stop&rob down the street? The old jeep doesn't get driven a lot so I was just pondering the question.

Not concerned about lead as in 1953 there was no un-leaded. Not concerned about a catalytic converter either.

Thoughts?

I have done it many times and never had a problem.

I know guys that mix it 50/50 to run in their bikes so when the bike sets up for for a month or two, they don't have to clean the carb to get the bike to run. Haven't heard of anyone complain of any problems caused by using AVGAS. I run straight 110 leaded race gas in my dirt bikes for the same reason. No, they don't need it, but it will not hurt the engines, I don't have to constantly clean carbs, and, as little as I use, it's worth the extra cost per gallon. VP claims it will never go bad. I had an XR650R that wasn't cranked for over 8 months after an injury kept me out of riding. It cranked on the second kick with the gas that was in it and never sputtered during the ride afterward.

I run LL100 in most of my bikes including my BMWs with fuel injection. Not enough lead to cause an issue but does quiet valve clatter a bit. You can mix LL with other fuels but any ethanol in other fuel may be subject to settle out.

Back