• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Obliviots And Oddities...

Reaction score
I make these from time to time as footage piles up - saw all of this Friday night:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCp3MnaLed0"]Obliviots And Oddities 6 Apr 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

Probably best watched on the actual YouTube page.

Typical Dallas ride. You have more guts than I to ride in Dallas traffic to start with.

BTW, yellow cross hatch in parking lot is No Parking area. Don't ask, just park elsewhere.

Larry
VFRrider

Need more time to read some of the text.

Typical Dallas ride. You have more guts than I to ride in Dallas traffic to start with.
Meh, after my last visit to New York City and seeing the riders there in that insanity, I feel pretty darn comfortable in Dallas.

Meh, after my last visit to New York City and seeing the riders there in that insanity, I feel pretty darn comfortable in Dallas.

I'm getting a lot of my confidence back for DFW riding. Still have to ride at off-peak hours to stay comfortable, but I've been getting back on the highways lately. Knowing what to expect helps alot.

There's a pause button. :D Also, trying to get the time down where I could get the licensed music to fit.

I learned to ride in Los Angeles. Dallas isn't quite up to that level, especially considering how many of the LA drivers' previous vehicle was a burro cart. :P

Smells like Austin.....always gotta watch and be on the defensive.

Nice vid. :clap:

Obliviots - I like that. Frequently seen in STex, too. Don't drive defensively - drive paranoid! They ARE out to get you.

There's a pause button. :D Also, trying to get the time down where I could get the licensed music to fit.
Yea, I got tired of doing the pause/rewind thing.

I learned to ride in Los Angeles. Dallas isn't quite up to that level, especially considering how many of the LA drivers' previous vehicle was a burro cart. :P
Funny, I had a coworker and she and her husband sold their bikes prior to moving from LA to Dallas. Once here they said the drivers were crazier here and that combined without being able to split they just didn't feel safe enough here to get bikes again.

At least the cart made the transition easier. DFW drivers' previous was the burro only. haha

_

Yea, I got tired of doing the pause/rewind thing.

Next time you can go get the music license and donate it to me. :D

Funny, I had a coworker and she and her husband sold their bikes prior to moving from LA to Dallas. Once here they said the drivers were crazier here and that combined without being able to split they just didn't feel safe enough here to get bikes again.

Splitting isn't without its own hazards, especially in LA.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GH8D2EqDZs"]Motorcycle Crash Lane Splitting - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOgTuYqUFOc"]Dangers of lane splitting HOV in CA - YouTube[/ame]

In my experience and opinion, I find that Dallas drivers are on the whole less aware of motorcyclists and just plain don't know what to do about them when they see them. And since the MAIDS study proves that going hi-viz has ZERO net effect on collisions, I just stealth out so the idiots don't have time to react badly before I'm past them and gone. However, there are actually more insane drivers in LA than here. All you have to do for proof is listen to the traffic radio in LA - even at 3am, there's accidents everywhere.

They did use their turn indicators, that would make them better than the dive bombers. :eek2:

Maybe. But trusting a cager's turn signals to be an honest indicator of what they actually intend to do can be a fatal mistake. I've had someone signalling left try to merge right into me far more than just a few times.

Since y'all seemed to like that, here's a few vids from last year.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOt7Y46Ug68"]Obliviot B 5 Jul 2011 - YouTube[/ame]
I was able to get the company name and number off the raw camera video and got in contact with them. They wanted to ignore me until I pointed out that I actually had video and that I'd posted it to YouTube. They were shocked and stunned then disciplined the driver accordingly. (This video also illustrates why I think toy bikes are unsafe - the only way out of that one was throttle.)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFVME1SUL14"]Obliviots 22 Nov 2011 - Roundabout Stupidity - YouTube[/ame]
People have no idea how to use roundabouts.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olbSI6yWBPM"]2 August 2011 Summary - YouTube[/ame]

And those are reasons why I run a camera on every ride I can.

Do you feel like the camera makes people behave better if they have noticed it?
I have had fewer incidents since mounting the camera on top of my helmet.

I have a Gopro on my helmet everyday and i just delete it when its full, i want to have proof of negligence if i ever get hit.

Yes, if they notice it they do tend to behave better. However, most people don't notice it so overall there doesn't seem to be any improvement with the camera running in terms of most major roads and highways. I do see a slight improvement in behavior on smaller and less travelled roads where encounters are more one on one instead of en masse.

You have some of the same reasons I do for having a helmet camera. The ability to post obliviots for others to ridicule is just a side benefit.

Back