• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 CAPROCK CANYON ENDURO March 25-26

_RG_

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Thought we needed a new thread for this...

Caprock Enduro signup

This is one of those stand-out races that's worth the drive. They're having a two day event again this year with kid's races and a sprint enduro on Saturday and the restart format enduro on Sunday.

Also looks like the city is sponsoring a meal and music Saturday night. That's different.

We rode this one last year and had a blast. The folks of Turkey do everything possible to make riders feel welcome. They really go out of their way both while in town and out on the trail too. This thing is a big event for them and it shows.

Last edited:
Bitten by the bug but I'm going to have to miss this one as I'll be in BBNP with the rest of the TWT'ers.

I'll be camping with the wife closer to town or in BBNP. Have a good time . Take a few pics if you can RG.

Drove up Friday. Wind was out of the west and howling from Abeline north. Lot of folks here already. Spectacular sky and sunrise this morning. Looks like a great day for racing motorcycles.

20170325_102053.jpg

Last edited:
The PEA and city of Turkey put on another fine event. Lots of riders visiting from Colorado, Wyoming and Kansas showed up. One fellow described a horrendous 16 hour trip down dodging closed roads because of ice and snow. Made me really glad to live here.

PEA recently acquired a bunch more land and now has 35,000 acres to play with. This was an exceptionally well attended race for the PEA with the "Sprint Enduro" growing by around 125 more riders over last year. The regular enduro race also grew substantially.

They essentially had three versions of trails that shared some of the same track but also split into A, A/B, C and super short courses. They split off the A guys right at the beginning. I'm told it was a jolly good ride and challenged everyone. B riders stayed with the C class up to mile 45 and then split off to join the A crew for the last 30 miles that made up the long course. Those last 30 miles were some of the most technical riding that I've done. I don't think they actually killed anyone but they sure as heck tried. If you're into such outright savage brutality then it was some awesome riding through spectacular country.

I had the tragic bad luck of being sent down the wrong trail by folks running the check at the B/C split. There were over a dozen riders scattered along that trail who either had mechanical issues or were physically exhausted and simply quit. Way more carnage than I'm used to seeing. After redoing about 10 miles of the same trail, I came back and asked if someone could point me to the long course. There was no sense in getting mad or pitching a fit. My race was over and now it became just a nice motorcycle ride.

I get a kick out of watching these little dudes race.

Pretty dang good form for a seven year old.

20170325_155608.jpg

Think these little skunks don't take this stuff seriously? Check out that game face.

20170325_155313.jpg

The city brought in some play stuff for the younger crowd. Of course I was tempted to get in a bounce or two...

20170325_130137.jpg

For the record... I have dust in places that have never, ever seen dust. And have no business dealing with it. Nuff said.

20170326_171821.jpg

You sure that's dust on the back there? [emoji12]

Looks like it was a great event!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

The PEA and city of Turkey put on another fine event. Lots of riders visiting from Colorado, Wyoming and Kansas showed up. One fellow described a horrendous 16 hour trip down dodging closed roads because of ice and snow. Made me really glad to live here.

PEA recently acquired a bunch more land and now has 35,000 acres to play with. This was an exceptionally well attended race for the PEA with the "Sprint Enduro" growing by around 125 more riders over last year. The regular enduro race also grew substantially.

They essentially had three versions of trails that shared some of the same track but also split into A, A/B, C and super short courses. They split off the A guys right at the beginning. I'm told it was a jolly good ride and challenged everyone. B riders stayed with the C class up to mile 45 and then split off to join the A crew for the last 30 miles that made up the long course. Those last 30 miles were some of the most technical riding that I've done. I don't think they actually killed anyone but they sure as heck tried. If you're into such outright savage brutality then it was some awesome riding through spectacular country.

I had the tragic bad luck of being sent down the wrong trail by folks running the check at the B/C split. There were over a dozen riders scattered along that trail who either had mechanical issues or were physically exhausted and simply quit. Way more carnage than I'm used to seeing. After redoing about 10 miles of the same trail, I came back and asked if someone could point me to the long course. There was no sense in getting mad or pitching a fit. My race was over and now it became just a nice motorcycle ride.

I get a kick out of watching these little dudes race.

Pretty dang good form for a seven year old.

20170325_155608.jpg

Think these little skunks don't take this stuff seriously? Check out that game face.

20170325_155313.jpg

The city brought in some play stuff for the younger crowd. Of course I was tempted to get in a bounce or two...

20170325_130137.jpg

For the record... I have dust in places that have never, ever seen dust. And have no business dealing with it. Nuff said.

20170326_171821.jpg

White pants for a dirt bike ride??? Hmmmm. :rofl:

No pictures, but a report from the Restart Enduro Sunday...

The A only test was the first one of the day for us. It was a true A test. I was on row four and there were maybe three A riders total ahead of me. It started out in a slot canyon w/ better than three foot straight drop offs in a spot or two. The canyon was too narrow to be able to jump off the first drop, and I flipped over the bars and the bike landed on me. My riding buddy JP was a minute behind me. I told him to go on since I was not hurt and got my self extricated eventually. Finished the test but there was carnage everywhere. Lots of narrow hog back ridges with riders off both sides. I passed back several riders who had passed me while I was under my bike earlier.

The last two tests were A/B combined (C riders had separate tests). Lots of new trail on test five that honestly was not marked well at all. I was the only A rider on my row and I kept getting lost. When the rows behind caught up to me, we all followed each other and that helped.

The trail was really rough on the last two tests. Not really technical, but it it kept crossing ruts at an angle and it beat you up pretty bad. Not really fun trail, but fun in the sense that it tested you to the max.

The Post Enduro Association gets a A+ for customer service. At the gas stop. they brought water, bananas, washed your googles, gave you a cool towel, etc. Outstanding. 300 dirt bikes taking completely over a town for a weekend is cool too.

I did not finish on the podium in the A class but this was my first Enduro raced in 16 years. I was mid pack I think, although the scores are not posted. My goal was to finish and not get too hurt. I did both of those, so it was a good weekend. Y'all should put this one one your list. Good times.

RG you always are a gentlemen.

Thanks for posting. Maybe someday if I get a smaller bike. Maybe I could get in better shape too:doh:

No pictures, but a report from the Restart Enduro Sunday...

The A only test was the first one of the day for us. It was a true A test. I was on row four and there were maybe three A riders total ahead of me. It started out in a slot canyon w/ better than three foot straight drop offs in a spot or two. The canyon was too narrow to be able to jump off the first drop, and I flipped over the bars and the bike landed on me. My riding buddy JP was a minute behind me. I told him to go on since I was not hurt and got my self extricated eventually. Finished the test but there was carnage everywhere. Lots of narrow hog back ridges with riders off both sides. I passed back several riders who had passed me while I was under my bike earlier.

The last two tests were A/B combined (C riders had separate tests). Lots of new trail on test five that honestly was not marked well at all. I was the only A rider on my row and I kept getting lost. When the rows behind caught up to me, we all followed each other and that helped.

The trail was really rough on the last two tests. Not really technical, but it it kept crossing ruts at an angle and it beat you up pretty bad. Not really fun trail, but fun in the sense that it tested you to the max.

The Post Enduro Association gets a A+ for customer service. At the gas stop. they brought water, bananas, washed your googles, gave you a cool towel, etc. Outstanding. 300 dirt bikes taking completely over a town for a weekend is cool too.

I did not finish on the podium in the A class but this was my first Enduro raced in 16 years. I was mid pack I think, although the scores are not posted. My goal was to finish and not get too hurt. I did both of those, so it was a good weekend. Y'all should put this one one your list. Good times.

Encouraging to see you back at enduros after such a long layoff. I have had zero luck for years now with locals willing to make the long trek to W TX. But I always thought the enduros there were by far the most fun in TX so I have decided to find a cargo trailer for bike security and a camper for a few even if I have to travel alone. Tired of missing out on the good times. Thanks for your report John, hope the back is ok.

Last edited:
I watch some video on Facebook from this event... WOW. It didn't look fun. It definitely looked more like survival of the fittest from what I saw!

Encouraging to see you back at enduros after such a long layoff. I have had zero luck for years now with locals willing to make the long trek to W TX. But I always thought the enduros there were by far the most fun in TX so I have decided to find a cargo trailer for bike security and a camper for a few even if I have to travel alone. Tired of missing out on the good times. Thanks for your report John, hope the back is ok.

Irish, Good for you. I sort of did the same thing. I dusted off the old ancient motor home and drove up there myself this past weekend. Once my buddies got there and saw my set up, well I gained two room mates for the weekend. It was like old times.

My spine fusion held up good. In addition to the light weight helmet, I added a Leatt brace and although you can't tell while riding, I think it really limits excessive head/neck movement. My spine is not near as sore since I have started wearing the brace.

It is crazy how much time had passed since I quit racing enduros. Both my kids, although both excellent riders, became involved in traditional sports all the way through high school, so I was happily watching them most every weekend. They are both out of the house now, and have been for a couple years. I was hoping my younger son was going to race with me this past weekend, but he did not make it. I don't have the sustained speed (some of the tests were 10 miles long) to be competitive in the class I rode, but I really don't care. I guess that is a benefit of getting older. Who knows, if I make a few more races maybe some of that will come back, but I really just like getting out to ride.

We do have some really good events in West Texas. The land that the Turkey club is blessed with is amazing. And then to be able to take over a town and ride your dirt bike anywhere is really cool. It was also really nice to not be working my butt off trying to help put on an event, and just be a rider for a change.

The start of the Sunday race went right down the old Main Street, probably four blocks or so before it turned onto a dirt road. It was deserted, no traffic other than the rows of bikes every minute. I wheelied all the way down the street to the turn off. Right there and then, I got my 70 bucks worth and it was all gravy from there.:lol2:

Thanks for asking about my back Irish.

Last edited:
You are way more than welcome. That mention of the wheelie down the street stirred more memories. There was a great enduro in Saline LA on the SERA circuit, occasionally a Natl that took over the small town. Same deal, the main(only) road thru town was closed off and a wheelie contest was held as each row left. Excited riders wheelying on pavement can get very interesting. Man, you got me going now, I'll be glad to rent one of those beds at future events!

Back