• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Smartphone camera augmentation

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Maybe there are folks that have some first-hand experience here:

I'm usually a P&S camera guy but have found the smartphone handy since it is more often with me. One of the biggest drawbacks I encounter with smartphone-only trips is the lack of zoom capability. The digital zoom is what it is, but I see there are gadgets that can be attached over the phone camera lens to provide some telephoto capability.

For kicks, I took my 10x monocular and held it up against my phone. I could get a workable image with significant vignetting but I did notice the image enlargement was no greater than what I was seeing with my unaided vision. IOW, the 10x essentially restored the image size to full (to my perception at least).

Between what I noticed with 10x, and the mixed reviews of most of these zoom attachments, I don't see much if any reason to spend any money or time on these things. I'll just stick to the Canon P&S for my imaging needs.

Anyone have good experience with smartphone zoom attachments they would care to share?

thanks.

Looking forward to the responses here.

To be honest, when I read the thread title I immediately thought this was going to be about the DJI Osmo Mobile 2 and similar gimbals for smartphone video.

The video that makes heads explode:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGp3JXKtHBM"]The DEATH of the Consumer Camera - YouTube[/ame]

Took this shot of a Williamson Sapsucker with an older cell phone through a
Swarovski spotting scope. The full size version is as crisp as anything I have taken with the D5100. Can't say that all of the lens attachments will work as well, but the technology is there.

Attachments

• 20160609_105505.jpg
    20160609_105505.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 283
My biggest problem is needing a camera that is a one handed operation as I do about 60% of my photos off a moving bike and , another 20% in a car while driving. Yes, it's a point and shoot operation and you need to keep the camera in a mode to get instant shots and I do use RAW only with my G16.
But when I do stop to take some shots, I do want a view finder for those bright sunshiney days where non of my camera let me see the screen very good to compose a shot.
So my cell phone useage in taking pic is probably near 1% of the pics I've taken in the last 5 yrs. And really don't see it improving. Sad is the XS50 and T3i Canons get just a little over the cell phone useage. Unless it's a planned affair for a picture shoot ( weddings, parades, activities ) instead of spur of the moment.

Back