• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ok, I've almost finished a project...

Very good job. Pretty cool looking setup. I would be interested in seeing the finished project. Someone must have been in shop in HS.

htown71 said:
Someone must have been in shop in HS.

My HS didn't have shop. We had woodworking. I carved a horse head plaque. Go figure.

I've enjoyed watching and learning from friends that work on making brackets and things for their bikes. I did, however, learn the hard way that you shouldn't pick up the screw that you just cut down to size - it's HOT and will make a nasty blister on your finger that even shows the screw threads in your fingerprint! :doh:

Squeaky said:
I did, however, learn the hard way that you shouldn't pick up the screw that you just cut down to size - it's HOT and will make a nasty blister on your finger that even shows the screw threads in your fingerprint! :doh:
Does that mean you have been branded as having a "screw loose"? :rofl:

It would take a relocated Yankee to think of using Hockey Puck.

Great Job,,,, Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a paint Job.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Awesome job Squeak, those would look super on my F650....he, he. Hey, we have a mig welder in our garage, if you ever want to come up and do some welding, let me know. I took a welding class last year so I could learn how to use it.

Fantastic job!! Like others have said, stick with steel for reinforcement instead of aluminum. I've mounted ammo cans on tractor fenders to hold chains and tools. Never had one come loose. You should be ok!

I remember seeing a thread about some really interesting paint schemes on metal panniers - stuff like aquariums and wooden trunks and stuff. I don't think it was here, but I'll see if I can find it (they had pictures)

There was also a similar one of paint schemes on truck trailers 40/48 foot...

If the locks break, mount a angle bracket on the can then. put a bolt with a nut up through the hole where the locks go into and use a wing nut to hold it all on. Drill the wing nut so you can saftey wire it. Not American Chopper but far more useful.:clap: Oh and flat black works good, or gloss. Remember it is going into the "bush".

68900721-M.jpg

Squeaky said:
So I thought I might share what I've done since I'm mostly done. I'm sure I'll get some good input about what I might change/modify before finalizing what I've got.

Ok, so I got a pair of very used Givi E21 side cases (top opening hinge) real cheap when I got the Strom. I got the Givi cases to go with them, knowing that I could upgrade to larger/better bags later when I had more cash. Over the last 12 months and 20k+ miles, I've used and abused the poor Givis. I've had them pop open and my clothes fly out, and even had a bag fall completely off the bike in the middle of downtown Austin. :doh:

Since then, I've had bungee cords criss-crossed over them, keeping them both on and closed. It was about time I did something about it.

My first thought was a pair of Pelican cases. Water-tight, light weight, and looked good on or off the bike. Thing is, they're too expensive for my penny-tech budget. I like the Jesse and Happy Trails bags, but those are WAY expensive. But they sparked an idea....

Using the existing Givi rack:

56590215-M.jpg

Some aluminum u-channel:

56590239-M.jpg

A pair of keyed-alike patio door locks:

pACE2-989143reg.jpg

Five $.99 hockey pucks from the local sporting goods store:

p573641dt.jpg

A can of Rustoleum camo green:

ps_spec_camo.jpg

A pair of 20mm ($16.95 each) military surplus ammo cans in good condition with excellent rubber seals:

0001.jpg

A less-than-helpful beagle and a friend's garage:

68900719-M.jpg

Add some misc. stainless steel hardware...

And Voila!

68900725-M.jpg

68900730-M.jpg

68900732-M.jpg

68900721-M.jpg

68900714-M.jpg

Although the cases are locked onto the bike, the lids do not lock to the cases themselves. This size case did not come with a flange for a padlock or anything like the smaller ones do, so I'll have to come up with a way to lock them up to park overnight and leave them on the bike.

I am also considering hinging the lids onto the cases, but with the large overhang, making it clear as it swings around might get a little hairy.

I have rubber feet to attach to the bottoms so that they don't scratch up my floor when I bring them inside, reflectors for both the back and sides, and military stencils to add some personalization once I decide on the final paint scheme. I will be using some silicone on the bolts to keep the bag water-tight, and shopping for some footman loops for the lids so that camping gear can easily be loaded on. I intentionally kept the tops of the lids level with the rear seat and rack so that luggage and gear could go across the entire width.

As I see it, when the cans are off the bike they can serve as a seat and table at a campsite so they work double duty. I have yet to toss my bike onto it's side with them on, but they'll likely hold the rear end of the bike up off the ground and might save me some fairing damage. Bonus!

Ok, so what haven't I thought of?
I have some bungee buddies that would be great for tying on gear. Stop by and get them sometime
Steve

irondawg said:
Looks like the two hours of IMing paid off!!! Good job Rebecca.

Yup! Thanks a lot for all of your advice!

DaveC said:
If the locks break, mount a angle bracket on the can then. put a bolt with a nut up through the hole where the locks go into and use a wing nut to hold it all on. Drill the wing nut so you can saftey wire it. Not American Chopper but far more useful.:clap: Oh and flat black works good, or gloss. Remember it is going into the "bush".

68900721-M.jpg

Hi, I'm new to this board, but I have designed and built a lot of stuff, so if you don't mind I'd like to throw in my 2 cents worth here that may save you some some damage or injury. Some of the guys here in North Texas know me and can vouch for my design abilities.
I'm with Dave on this issue here. I applaude your process, but that latch is not a hardened latch designed for that type of loading. As you pack weight in your boxes and bounce along down the trail that latch is bound to fail. I can almost assure the housing will crack and let go. If I'm looking at this correctly, the cabinet hardware latch is the only thing holding the top of the box to the frame. If I'm wrong then I apologze. Use the latch to secure the box from unwanted removal, but please add something to handle the loading on the upper side of the box to the Givi Frame. A simple reinforced bolt thru the upper wall into your latching block will be sufficient. There are fancier ways and I'd be happy to discuss those with you off line if you wish. (Don't want to hijack this thread) I've used Aircraft Dutz Fasteners on my panniers before with great success. Pricey new, but I was given them, so the price was right. If you interested I can post up a photos of a Dutz fasteners.

Best Wishes,

Curtis

Curtis said:
Hi, I'm new to this board, but I have designed and built a lot of stuff, so if you don't mind I'd like to throw in my 2 cents worth here that may save you some some damage or injury. Some of the guys here in North Texas know me and can vouch for my design abilities.
I'm with Dave on this issue here. I applaude your process, but that latch is not a hardened latch designed for that type of loading. As you pack weight in your boxes and bounce along down the trail that latch is bound to fail. I can almost assure the housing will crack and let go. If I'm looking at this correctly, the cabinet hardware latch is the only thing holding the top of the box to the frame. If I'm wrong then I apologze. Use the latch to secure the box from unwanted removal, but please add something to handle the loading on the upper side of the box to the Givi Frame. A simple reinforced bolt thru the upper wall into your latching block will be sufficient. There are fancier ways and I'd be happy to discuss those with you off line if you wish. (Don't want to hijack this thread) I've used Aircraft Dutz Fasteners on my panniers before with great success. Pricey new, but I was given them, so the price was right. If you interested I can post up a photos of a Dutz fasteners.

Best Wishes,

Curtis

I am betting either at the center where it is thinnest or just at the edge where the radius occurs. Another cheap solution would be U bolts. You could wing nut them on the inside and this allows for fairly easy removal. That sure looks nice with that lock. hmmmmm locks hardened google:sun:

Squeaky said:
Yup! I had some help stripping the old paint and working on some of the design and sluminum, but then it sat for a while... So Tuesday was free and I got to work. Five hours later, and I was able to ride it over to Clay's for bike night.

Ooooooohhhhhh. Clays! I need to head over there and have me some fried catfish.

Lee
(Once used a hockey puck to build a mace. Does that count?)

I know the patio door locks aren't ideal, but I'd like to keep it simple to take the bags off. Post up a pic of the fasteners so I can see how they'd work.

I am very interested in comments and suggesstions like this.

Squeaky said:
I know the patio door locks aren't ideal, but I'd like to keep it simple to take the bags off. Post up a pic of the fasteners so I can see how they'd work.

I am very interested in comments and suggesstions like this.

OK, Here are some pictures.
1st the 1/4 turn Dutz Fastener with the side box.
Mvc-025s.jpg

He's the rack with the Fastener through it into the side box.
Mvc-019s.jpg

Here's a shot of the inside bag part. See the curled spring the bolt hooks to?
Note the reinforcement plate. (Stainless) Oh and the plastic shield flap is in the up position.
Mvc-020s.jpg

Here's what the whole package looks like. The top box is mounted in a simular method. Takes about 10 seconds to remove. I need some latches too but I think I'm going to use some small locking trailer hitch pins.
Mvc-015s.jpg

Hope this help give you guys some ideas.

Curtis

Dyna Sport said:
These aluminum boxes don't seem too pricey..

http://www.klr650.com/AluminumBoxes.htm
Hmmm...... I like those. And soft luggage inserts are available for them, too. Lift off the top, pull out soft cases, take with you. (will a helmet fit inside one of those boxes?)

Reconsidering the Givi E41s. The Al boxes are cheaper (by about $160) and a heck of a lot narrower than the Givis (I think). And weight would be lower than the Givis. I wonder what their capacity is.

I doubt the mount for the KLR would fit on a Wee-strom though.

Holding off on ording the Givis next week.......

Anyone have these on a V-strom?

Back