• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Any REAL waterproof gear out there?

jussi said:
Yeah...it is expensive...but it is also the best :) The question was whether there was a waterproof suit..there it is :) You get what you pay for ;)

Jussi

No doubt.

Your reply was exactly along the lines of what I was asking. I don't know that I can afford one of those suits, but I certainly gave them a close study and I will keep them in mind.

dutchinterceptor said:
Add another disappointed Frogg Toggs customer. I ride a 6th Gen VFR and they definitely haven't kept the water out on three different occasions. I opted for a 1 piece Motoboss rainsuit from Cyclegear since then.

Don't you have a Highland Suit, too?

wczimmerman said:
Don't you have a Highland Suit, too?

Nah, I don't think they designed them for fat guys like me.:lol2:

I have a fairly weather resistant fieldsheer "glenn scott" jacket and fieldsheer waterproof pants(not sure which model). The pants are completely waterproof and have good armor. The jacket is really nice also but like your suit isn't nearly as waterproof as it was when new. I'm gonna try some waterproofer on it when I get a chance. Aerostich has several water repellant options in their catalog that I've been looking at.

As much as you commute I'd definitely consider a "Stich". Pm HispanicSlammer for info. He's on his second one.

If doing lots of touring, especially where cold and wet is expected, a great suit like the Smart Suit starts to look very attractive, even at that price. In nothern Europe, it would quickly earn its keep. On the Gulf Coast? Not as likely.

Larry_77084 said:
Click here

I have the Pro Angler in Orange
+1

Also regarding the comment about packing small... how small is small? Mine are packed loosely in the mesh carrying bag which is about 6x10. If I compressed them I'm sure I could that down to about half that size.

I have a Triumph 1 piecer I don't know the model. I figured if anything the brits know it would be rain gear. Great suit packs up small. It is excellant in the colder days as an oversuit. Banana yellow (was cheaper because..) so great visibility.

The only issue is the dreaded crotch leak. It was only bad in total monsoons though. Plus riding a DRZ there isn't much other protection so your upper body channels all the water. On any other bike it would be fine.

The bike was my only trans at the time so it got rode no matter how bad it rained. This was Vancouver by the way so it got worn every day from september to the end of august. :lol2:

Not cheap though but cheaper than a Fieldsheer.

dutchinterceptor said:
As much as you commute I'd definitely consider a "Stich". Pm HispanicSlammer for info. He's on his second one.

Yeah, I've been looking at the Aerostich suits VERY CLOSELY given my commuting in all conditions, but I don't want to spend $700 of the family's money on something that will leak (dreaded crotch leak) in much the same way my $200 Fieldsheer does now.

$2200 for the Smart Suit is tough for our family budget, but it looks like the Rolls Royce of riding suits.

I'm not sure what I'll do yet. Maybe there's a way to fix the leaks on the Fieldsheer or maybe another option will present itself...

I rode a '02 VFR through AR for 3 days of rain in a TourMaster rain suit (sorry don't know the model) I paid $45 for it from the local Honda dealer. its a 2pc setup but I stayed 100% dry in some very hard rains.
it stuffs into its ~10"x10"x3" stuff sack quite nicely and could easily be compressed further.

I too have the Highland Suit.. it is most definately not water proof. I wasn't even in a major downpour, and I was pretty darn damp. Except the crotch, which of course was WET.

I also have the ~$60 Motoboss Rain Suit (2-piece), and it seems to work great. I actually keep the pants in a "space-bag" under my seat on the CBR just in case I get caught in the rain. Of course, on long rides, I just pack it and the jacket... and if there is any chance of rain, they go in the tank bag.

mnapuran said:
I too have the Highland Suit.. it is most definately not water proof. I wasn't even in a major downpour, and I was pretty darn damp. Except the crotch, which of course was WET.

I also have the ~$60 Motoboss Rain Suit (2-piece), and it seems to work great. I actually keep the pants in a "space-bag" under my seat on the CBR just in case I get caught in the rain. Of course, on long rides, I just pack it and the jacket... and if there is any chance of rain, they go in the tank bag.

You wear the rain suit over the Highland suit?

I had a Fieldsheer Highlander for 2 years (I retired it because after 30k it was falling apart, but still a good suit).

I found it very waterproof, so I don't know how valuable my opinion is....

I don't own a rainsuit and refuse to buy gear that would necessitate stopping to put one on.

I currently run a Tourmaster Transition jacket and Caliber pants as my winter gear. I think the Fieldsheer breathed much better than my current gear and was the same as far as waterproofing.

Try Cabela's. I have found that they carry the biggest selection in foul weather gear. I have also had an assortment of sailing gear over the years that worked great, but I tend to head off in my own direction occassionally....;-)

I do need my rain gear to pack up small because I don't have bags.
raingear.jpg

I currently have a FieldSheer Highland suit that I've used for commuting to work for a couple of years. In the cold/cooler temps it works great. The colder it is, the more you appreciate it. The problem I have now is the waterproofing. Fieldsheer, of course, claimed it was 100% waterproof but that trait has slowly faded over time. I have reinforced it with various seam sealers and waterproofing sprays which have helped but there are still a couple of spots that leak for some reason (despite the soaking with the waterproofing sprays). For a 6 mile commute, this just seems unacceptable to me. I've considered the Aerostich but it is very pricey for something that reportedly still leaks at the crotch and also needs some sort of wash in waterproofing periodically.

So-the questions:
1. Are there any waterproofing products out there that are worth trying on my existing suit that might work better?
2. Is there a replacement suit out there that will actually keep me dry for the money?

I picked up my raingear, at a Cabellas in Mitchell, SD one day while riding to the Black Hills. It started p-o-u-r-i-n-g, and several of us on 2-wheels had whipped in to get some gear.

Light weight, "plastic" like material, folds flat and takes almost no space to store on the bike. I've had mine since 1999 now, and except for the one or two small rips in it, its still absolutely water tight. (The tears are very low on the leg and dont much bother me at all.) Couldnt begin to tell you the name brand.....)

edit: just went out to the bike to look at the tag. All it says is "Cabellas Rain Gear"....

sorry, no help there.

this looks very much like my jacket:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0050187922961a&navCount=6&podId=0050187&parentId=cat601885&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat21082-cat601865-cat601885&catalogCode=2UG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601885&hasJS=true

and the pants:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0024473922228a&navCount=13&podId=0024473922228&parentId=cat601888&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat21082-cat601865-cat601888&catalogCode=7IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601888&hasJS=true

I've got the Pro Signature Advantage Suit in yellow, from Frogs Toggs.

http://store.froggtoggs.com/search.htm?searchterm=PS110

They haven't leaked on me yet. The suit material breathes a little better than regular poly rainsuits, but is still warmish when worn over outergear and clothes. The selling point for me was the zips on the bottom of the legs, which allow me to don the pants with my boots on, and the bib style pant top, which eliminates wet crotch syndrome. The top is good too with a baffle style arrangement of material around the zipper, and a top that fits under a helmet to avoid drips down the collar.

Tex

Back