• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

turn signal canceller

Reaction score
Well I installed a turn signal canceller on my new FZ1.

I've gotten so used to the fabulous turn signals on my harley, that are truly "fire and forget" that there's no way I'll be able to go from bike to bike and not leave my signals on all the time on my FZ1 (as folks in Kerrville will attest) so I dropped for a Kisan signal minder.

It's a breeze to install, under an hour with zero wire cutting and so far I like it.

It has a selectable timer for turn signals, 8, 12 or 20 seconds, it suspends the timer if the brake is held, and it adds both hazard flashers, cop flashers (alternating hazard) and can make the rear turn signals running lights with two brightness levels.

It also has lane change mode that you just hold the switch while changing lanes and the timer is not engaged.

It also has plug ins for optional LED arrays that can go on mirrors or on the tail for brake/turn/hazard as well.

Nice little unit even if it is overpriced a bit. It also comes with springs to convert the yamaha turn signal switch to a momentary contact type switch.

I may at some point buy a harley signal unit and wire it in, it has lean angle sensors, speed sensors etc. so it would be tougher to wire in, but probably worth it. The trouble is the harley unit is made to run from two momentary contact switches, one on each handlebar, with functions that require both to be pressed together, and the FZ has a single switch on the left control side.

Wow, sounds like you got a lot more bells and whistles than just turn signal cancellation. If I might ask, how pricey was it? Some of those options sound really good to have. I'm lucky enough that the SV has hazards from the factory, but I still like all that other stuff.

Definately a worth while option on the FZ. I have been known to go a mile or two blinking away :biggun:

First I have to get that right signal to work! :pound:

A small point

Just a minor point here-the Harley signals (My favorites) do NOT have a lean angle sensor. They are double triggered (as are Honda's and most of the others with cancelling signals) in that they are on a timer (most are 10 seconds) OR measurement (most are 150 feet) whichever is LONGER. That way if you are running 70 it won't shut off in 1.5 seconds but will flash 10 times. If you are at a light, they will cancel after the 150 feet instead of every 10 seconds. :shock:

Ahh I thought I had read they had a lean angle sensor as well, to add more input when you turned. Maybe that was the model before the current ones.

All I know is the harley signals rock and have made me a very lazy turn signal guy on the other bike, I still may go get one of their units and hack it into the FZ1 at some point.

Now, the real qustion...Why don't Cages have Turn Signal cancelation devices? :headbang: :miffed:

The Harley unit is also speed dependent - i.e., the faster you are going, the greater the distance before they cancel. I know my service manual shows the distances at various speeds, but couldn't recall any of them now, but the unit may require linking to the speed sensor since the cancellation does not have a timer (at least on most models I'm aware of) but instead tracks speed and distance to determine turn signal dwell time.

Dragwn said:
Now, the real qustion...Why don't Cages have Turn Signal cancelation devices? :headbang: :miffed:

Cages have turn signals? Never would have known that riding around here. :shrug:

The latest generation Tahoes, probably the Yukons and Suburbans, do have signal alarms. Go too far with the turn signals on and an alarm sounds and the odometer, which is electronic, changes to "turn signals on" message.

Back