• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A 2 week ride to a country 10 million years old

Thanks. Next year I should be able to take two consecutive weeks off. Utah is at the top of the list.

Prayers for Bobby and family
Thanks for bringing us along. Excellent report/pics!:rider:

Good stuff. I also like the pic of you looking down the road. Seen that same shot many times but never like that, and you were an amazing addition to the image. It adds so much more story to the picture.

I ride alone for the same reasons as you speak of here. Hard to find people who have the same pace as you and the same wants and needs as you that you can get all that to align for a multi day trip. You and I could probably make that work, though I admit to being cheap but I think you have me beat. ;)

I ride alone for the same reasons as you speak of here. Hard to find people who have the same pace as you and the same wants and needs as you that you can get all that to align for a multi day trip. You and I could probably make that work, though I admit to being cheap but I think you have me beat. ;)

Cheap? Oh yeah, well I'll see your dollar and raise you minus 50 cents.

I don't want to take credit for the composition of this picture. I'm standing at mile marker 13 of highway 163, just south of Mexican Hat, also known as Forest Gump Point. He quit running. I quit riding.
34506061743_3bae08287e_b.jpg

:tab Gina, I have seen snow in June, July, August, and September in Colorado and parts of Utah. If you are at altitude, you just never know what you are going to get! The trip I did with Sarah last fall was in mid to late September. We hit a lot of the same places they hit on this trip, and then some, heading all the way up to Heber City near Salt Lake City. There is a road called Skyline Drive that runs through the mountains roughly parallel to I-15. It is awesome and most of it is 9000-11000 ft. Epic views. All dirt, but easy ride on your 690!! We got a hint of rain and temps in the low 50s for that day, but most of the rest of Utah was sunny and warm. When we got over into Western Colorado, we actually saw some sub freezing temps in the mornings, but it was awesome by noon. The Aspen trees were incredible. I've got the track files from the trip if you are interested in them.

:tab Gina, I have seen snow in June, July, August, and September in Colorado and parts of Utah. If you are at altitude, you just never know what you are going to get! The trip I did with Sarah last fall was in mid to late September. We hit a lot of the same places they hit on this trip, and then some, heading all the way up to Heber City near Salt Lake City. There is a road called Skyline Drive that runs through the mountains roughly parallel to I-15. It is awesome and most of it is 9000-11000 ft. Epic views. All dirt, but easy ride on your 690!! We got a hint of rain and temps in the low 50s for that day, but most of the rest of Utah was sunny and warm. When we got over into Western Colorado, we actually saw some sub freezing temps in the mornings, but it was awesome by noon. The Aspen trees were incredible. I've got the track files from the trip if you are interested in them.

You mean this one???

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...8,-111.62658699999997&spn=1.6844,3.433228&z=8

I want the track files. Utah hasn't seen the last of me.

Here's one in Colorado June 2015. We were not at real high altitude but little piles like this were in many spots where there was some shade.

DSCN0172-001_zpse4gr0xrz.jpg

Last edited:

:tab That is it.

:tab We spent the night in Salina. The next morning, we went up to Willow Creek Road to access Skyline Dr. It is a fantastic road. Once on Skyline, we ran North to Ephraim Canyon road. We dropped down into Ephraim for gas and lunch. While there, we watched some nasty rain storms roll through that looked like they were in the direction we were heading. We decided to go ahead and run back up Ephraim Canyon to Skyline and continue heading North. There were places where the ground was damp, but never muddy. It was kind of windy and it was in the low 50s. The views were still incredible. The whole route was just fantastic, and one of the highlights of the whole trip.

:tab We made it to US 6. The plan was to continue North up through the mountains to US 40 and Heber City. However, the rain caught up with us at US 6 and it was dark as night the direction we were planning to ride, with lightning shattering the darkness. We decided to slab West on 6, run up US 89 through Provo, then head out US 189 to Heber City. This let us loop around and get ahead of the storm. We arrived at our hotel just moments before the storm caught us. Just after we unloaded and were heading for the hot tub, the hail started coming down! It rained most of the night. We were going to run the North Slope Rd., across the mountains that run East/West just below the Wyoming border. It runs between Hwy 150 and US 191 over by Flaming Gorge. We had been warned that if it were wet, it could be impassable on big adv bikes with luggage (and my passenger). That area got a LOT of rain over the night and next morning according to the radar. This caused us to abort the route for the next day and to improvise a new route that had less dirt.

I want the track files. Utah hasn't seen the last of me.

Email sent.

:tab I never did get around to doing a ride report for that trip...

Scott, it's not too late for a ride report!

It sounds like an "epic" (over used word, ugh!) trip.

The father-daughter aspect makes it really special. Be really cool to hear from Sarah too.

I'd request the tracks, but I wouldn't know what to do with 'em. GPS university, here I come! ...Ok, next week...

***hijack over***

Enjoyed the ride report and pics.

In the spirit of you never know what you're going to get for weather..... Monarch Pass, CO, first of June on a trip in 2013. it was cool but the sun was high and warm and the roads dry... it was awesome riding.

k2dy61.jpg

Last edited:
Back