• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Do people really think BMW is a British company?

morfic

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
My coworkers surprise me with their astonishment when finding out BMW is a German company.
I thought "everyone knows" it's German.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe they're thinking of the old BRM that was so common when Wild World of Sports broadcast some of the Formula races....

Balderdash! Everyone knows that Ewan McGregor is a Scot!
As far a Brit bikes go, few people know the difference between Meridan and Hinkley.

On the other hand production is so globalized now, that there may a central place of assembly, but who knows where the parts came from. :shrug: Take the plastic off of one of my BMWs and the most common word it Italy.

I mean BMW goes into the world of cars, so I really expected that to just be known.

I'll be honest, I managed to not look at bikes much in the past twenty years, to not want one, that we have now fuel injection and abs and traction control so common place eluded me, I'm no expert on bike models (couldn't tell you what the guy rode yesterday who told me "Nice bike" on a red light on way home (so expect me to stare at your bikes in detail at meetup, to rectify that))

But BMW, as much as people talk about German luxury cars, figured is universally known.

Last edited:
British Motor Works, right? :D

However, they do own MINI which is a British car company, so it's all kind of muddled.

Bavarian Motor Werks!! When was Bavaria part of the UK!! :clap: Still they make far better vehicles than British Leyland ever did!!

Gary

Let's not forget we're largely talking about a generation that has no idea how to drive a stick.

Never touched that.
That's trippy, lol.
I'd think of it as a standard H and get myself in all sorts of trouble.

Let's not forget we're largely talking about a generation that has no idea how to drive a stick.

14% claim to know how to operate a manual transmission with 5% of cars produced for 2016 with manuals.

I learned how to drive in a 69 VW bus with rubber band linkage and a 66 chevy c-10 three on the tree with well worn bushings.
Back in my volunteer days we had a old cab forward gmc that the shifter came up from behind you and went up and down instead of back and forth and the pattern was backwards.

I believe part of this misconception is due to the latest version of the Mini Cooper. BMW bought Rover way back (90's?) and kept the Mini Cooper name so they could enter the compact car market in this country.
A few months ago I was watching Jeopardy, they showed a picture of a 57 Chevy in Cuba...none of the contestants knew it was a Chevrolet.
Most of us are a lot more into history and vehicles than the average public. That also coincides with driving awareness and ability. rh

My coworkers surprise me with their astonishment when finding out BMW is a German company.
I'm truly curious to know where you work .... or at least the nature of the business?

Even my 91 year-young Mom, a decidedly non-car-conscious person, knew the correct answer.

Last edited:
Gixxerjasen: lol, no
Centex: I work in a machine shop, I'm the CNC programmer ("Manufacturing Technologist"), the confused coworker was our QC manager, a fairly smart fella. (Other guy I don't recall who was confused, that was a couple weeks back)

Oh since we talk about the company, if you are or know a qualified CNC mill or lathe machinist looking for a job in San Antonio, TX, we are hiring.
We can find operators and we can find trainees, but not strong setup people for either departments.

Last edited:
"BMW? I didn't know they made motorcycles."

"Do BMWs still have the cylinder on the sides?"

Those are the two responses I get the most from the non-riders I chat with.

pdef said:
"BMW? I didn't know they made motorcycles."

"Do BMWs still have the cylinder on the sides?"

Those are the two responses I get the most from the non-riders I chat with.

Interestingly nobody was surprised about it being a BMW, that more led to "****, a BMW? Big spender".

The boxer is actually what most people think of when thinking BMW motorcycles, I do, even now that I have a parallel twin, maybe it'll fade though.
I'd expect to eventually hear "I thought they made boxers" on the other hand.

In my book it's pretty easy to tell that BMWs aren't British. When you turn the key, they start. :shrug:

That said, I'm now compelled to point out this important fact:
Q - Why do the British drink their beer warm?
A - Because Lucas also builds refrigerators.

Making fun of warm beer in this context is very risky, as you will be able to get a beer warmer in good Bavarian restaurant.

Although...

I guess that means that refrigeration worked, that's why you need the warmer.
I see now, you get it warm, you're in Britain, you need a beer warmer, you're in Bavaria?

If you're in Bavaria, you don't care that the beer's warm. The beer is that good. Besides, you're in Bavaria. I don't drink anymore, but I did love Pschorr Brau back in the day.

Actually, nothing wrong with finding "Italy" under BMW plastic. Emperor Louis of Bavaria, son of Charlemagne, ruler of one of the greatest European empires ever, died of fear after witnessing a solar eclipse. His three sons bickered so much over dividing up the inheritance the Bavarian empire was divided into three pieces, Germany, France, and Italy. So, Italy is a valid part of BMW.

Isn't the House of Windsor from Germany? Makes BMW being British legit right?

Back