• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2014 Ennis Bluebonnets

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Shelfer
Today, wifey & I made the annual pilgrimage down 287 to Ennis, and spent the day enjoying Mother Nature's spring show. Here are some of my favorite snaps of the day.

Yup, that’s what I look like. My wife chose not to be seen today.
DSC_0549_zps21cd2191.jpg

FM 817, a lot of bluebonnets, and a little bit of my RSX.
DSC_0512_zps379ca1d2.jpg

DSC_0514_zps43deb3bd.jpg

DSC_0522_zps58a297a1.jpg

Extra good color in the Indian paintbrush this year.
DSC_0524_zps07028b8f.jpg

That's called - uh - purple stuff.
DSC_0530_zps52ab7868.jpg

DSC_0537_zps3e8b2752.jpg

DSC_0539_zps2206d918.jpg

DSC_0545_zps963824a9.jpg

DSC_0554_zpsb16734a5.jpg

DSC_0558_zps78eb5a2c.jpg

DSC_0559_zps4de7c3d8.jpg

DSC_0560_zpsc4bd209a.jpg

Thanks, Brad. Drew, if you're able to make it to the Stromathon, we'll manage some serious lens time.

Tim,

Great pictures again!

I still have on another desktop, a picture you took a few years ago of a Hereford cow sitting amidst a field of flowers.

:clap:

RB

Tim,

Great pictures again!

I still have on another desktop, a picture you took a few years ago of a Hereford cow sitting amidst a field of flowers.

:clap:

RB

Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment. Picture #8 is the same field, but the cows were hanging somewhere else today.

Looks like a good crop this year. Nice pics. Remember the really tall bluebonnets in Big Bend?

:) purple stuff is prairie verbena. Cool shots, looks like a nice area.

HTML:
A few years ago we went to a closed golf course near Ennis and rode around on golf carts to view the wildflowers. It was a breezy day and the smell of the bluebonnets was intoxicating.

Great shots! What kind of camera are you using? I just got a Sony NEX-3 (DSLR sensor in a small body) just so I can take better (than iPhone) pics on bike trips. Going to the Stromathon and hoping to pick up tips from the more experienced photographers there :).

Great shots! What kind of camera are you using? I just got a Sony NEX-3 (DSLR sensor in a small body) just so I can take better (than iPhone) pics on bike trips. Going to the Stromathon and hoping to pick up tips from the more experienced photographers there :).

Thank you. I'm using an older Nikon DSLR - a D60 body with the run-of-the-mill Nikon 18-50mm lens. My first digital camera was a Sony; they make quality stuff.

For your everyday day flower or other scenery pictures, you don't need a high-end camera do a very credible job. You can certainly get a sharper picture with one. But in my mind, half the battle is composing the picture. Once the picture migrates from the chip to my camera, I usually play with lighting a bit - I typically slightly lower the brightness and raise the contrast, which makes the colors more vivid and saturated. And depending on the picture, I may or may not crop it. That's about it.

I'll look forward to meeting you at the Stromathon.

Thanks, tshelfer! I'll be bringing my camera to the Stromathon and will be practicing...

Back